Wiring a new garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently moved into a new-to-us home in Virginia. The sink does not have a garbage disposal, and we'd like to add one. The dishwasher is on its own 15A circuit. There are a few counter-top receptacle circuits as well, though they all have at least one GFCI receptacle in them. I've done some reading about this, and these are my conclusions. I hope electricians/contractors on here can help affirm my understanding. In no particular order:

(1) You're never supposed to wire a garbage disposal to the same circuit as your counter-top receptacles. I have a receptacle on the side of the counter at the end of the peninsula that would be easy to tie into. But I understand this is a no-no.

(2) It's generally okay to put a disposal on the same circuit as the dishwasher, so long as you have enough amperage to handle both loads. Most folks agree that sharing a 20A circuit between the two is okay, with the preference being two dedicated 15A circuits. I have the manual for the dishwasher, but it's not specific about peak electrical load. It says, "You must have 120-volt, 60 Hz, AC-only, 15- or 20-amp, fused electrical supply." Check. It also says, "We recommend a separate circuit." Acknowledged. No peak amperage numbers, though.

(3) I will assume the peak amperage will be on the heated drying cycle, and that it's somewhere near 9-10A (based on "typical" numbers given for other units people have posted). This a "typical" Kenmore dishwasher purchased about 3-4 years ago based on previous owner's records.

(4) Do I need to keep to an 80% rule on this circuit? If so, 80% of 15A is 12A, and I'd likely not find any disposal that could co-exist on this circuit with the dishwasher.

I'm trying to find a way to wire this in without adding a new breaker to the box. Not that I have anything against that, but it's not something I've done before, and I try to avoid such high-risk tasks without supervision for my first time. If I needed to run a new circuit, I'd probably pay an electrician to add it in.

I do appreciate all comments and opinions.

My dishwasher and disposal are both on the same 20 amp circuit. Been that way for over 15 years. Zero problems.

Last edited:
What is your local building code for this? Around here, such work can only be done by a licensed electrician. Requires a special permit and an on-site inspection after installation.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What is your local building code for this? Around here, such work can only be done by a licensed electrician. Requires a special permit and an on-site inspection after installation.

Not if it's your house.

If you do not plan in operating the dishwasher and disposal at the same time, then put the disposal on the dishwasher circuit. It would be better if you have load info on both devices (that should be there somewhere) and posted it here. Having said that, I'm about to do a new install and yes will run a 20A circuit for the dishwasher just in case somebody else wants to install a disposal at some future point in time on the same outlet.

I've seen an add-on disposal with the switch located under the sink where you have to open the door to turn it on. My guess is it's going to have to be wired this way. FWIW mine is on a 20 amp breaker with the disposal/dishwasher.

Mine have been on the same 15a breaker for 18 years. No code violation. No issues except for the fire. j/k

Then again....my disposal is powered by a small block 305 Chevy V8.....I bought it from the Jimmy Hoffa Estate.

Last edited:
We do worm composting and freeze meats and other none vegetal waste for garbage day.

Red wigglers.

Me, I'd put both on same circuit. Just don't use them simultaneously - unless you want to visit the breaker box.

If you have an unfinished basement and the sink is on the first floor AND you have an open spot in the box - maybe try adding a circuit.
It aint rocket science. Just try to follow the code.
Now finding that can be tough if you are not a licensed contractor (ive found).

" What do you got, a Clarkman? Well, it's a big job. You've got to dismantle the latch hasp from the
auxiliary drainage line."

"No. It says 'main line'."

"It's a misprint."

grin.gif

15amp seems like old wiring? How old?

If old I'd err on seperate circuit. My brother had dishwasher and disposal on same wiring and it burned up wiring from 60's. The large load of dishwasher is likely the motor(s) starting however heater element draws some current. Disposals on start especially on load will draw a lot of current too.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
15amp seems like old wiring? How old?

If old I'd err on seperate circuit. My brother had dishwasher and disposal on same wiring and it burned up wiring from 60's. The large load of dishwasher is likely the motor(s) starting however heater element draws some current. Disposals on start especially on load will draw a lot of current too.

15A is very common, and runs on 14/2 wiring. 20A uses 12/2 wiring. Our breaker box has mostly 15A circuits, but some 20A+ as well.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Thanks for the comment. I did email our county's residential code inspector to see what the requirements are. I've already done some light electrical work in the basement (converting pull-string lights to switched circuits, and adding lights, etc), and if I can run my disposal off the dishwasher on the same circuit, I probably will. I won't use more than a small disposal anyway (nominal 1/3 hp). I don't yet know if the dishwasher is plugged into a receptacle in its cabinet bay, or if it's hard-wired. I need to pull the dishwasher out to determine that. I don't see any receptacles in the adjacent cabinets, so I suspect the dishwasher is hard-wired. I'd need to move that into the adjacent cabinet to a junction box and tap a switched outlet circuit off of it.

FWIW I have added a couple of circuit breakers to my box. It was very easy and did not seem especially "high risk" as long as you practice some pretty basic caution. If you've done basic wiring work in the past I wouldn't shy away from this. Shut off main breaker before you begin. Follow the same wiring paths as existing circuits. Use tools with insulated handles. Don't stand in a puddle of water while doing the work. You should be good to go.

I live in a well seasoned Pulte home. Under the sink is an outlet for the DW and GD to plug in. Never a problem ...youre over thinking it.

I used to install/service up to 5HP salvajor and waste king commercial disposals. Max power draw is at startup and also never put waste in before the GD is already running. You'd be shocked how many tomes i charged $90 to remove an olive pit that was wedged in the grind table and popping the breaker or overload.

Last edited:
+1. Might be over-thinking.

How much will you be running the disposal, maybe 30 seconds per meal?

I'd personally recommend a 1/2 [hp] disposal--the 1/3s are much less well built, in my experience.

If you add a breaker to your panel, you might also consider adding a "surge breaker" to the panel--cheap insurance if you have the space. A whole-house suppressor is better, though.

Originally Posted By: Pete
+1. Might be over-thinking.

How much will you be running the disposal, maybe 30 seconds per meal?

Exactly this. Breakers will put up with a brief surge like a motor inrush current and not pop. You won't overheat your wiring in a few seconds either. Share the dishwasher's circuit. Dishwashers really save power nowadays compared to the old one. The correct answer is to pull the d/w and look at its data plate-- if it says 7 amps for example that's its peak draw and of course if both appliances draw 7 amps you're golden.
laugh.gif

The d/w is probably hardwired, but its source is probably a wall box that could take an outlet if compelled.

The other "code" thing to consider is are you moving to a place with a septic system? These often forbid disposals, or, if allowed, you'll have to pay to pump the solids out way more often.

Rewired a house and have both disposal and dishwasher on same 15amp circuit. No problems and passed inspection/code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back