High Mileage diesel oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone would have to define what high mileage for a Diesel is, Oil companies are claiming 75,000 is high mileage for a gas engine......Sounds absurd to me.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Valvoline makes it

+1

I just noticed the new Valvoline MaxLife diesel oil at Walmart not long ago. It's 15W-40 if I'm not mistaken, there may be other viscosities as well - I'm not sure.

please elucidate the high mileage in your version because if you know like MB classification such as 229.5 or 228.5..

the 229 means for passanger diesel engine
228 means for heavy duty diesel engine..

and .5 means according to theory it can run 50000 km

means 228.5, the oil is HDEO and can run 50000 km and it is HIGH MILEAGE HDEO..the reality? i think no..

all depends on the diesel fuel, hows your driving and many more...

Last edited:
And what diesel engine is being discussed has a major play on what is high mileage. I don't consider 500,000 miles to be high miles in my commercial engines. Even 750,000 mile still doesn't get me thinking about "high mileage". Have taken several engines well over 1 million miles without major repairs using the same HDEO oil they got all along. The idea of high mileage diesel oil has to be a marketing gimmick.

what would even be considered "high mileage" for a diesel application? Diesel oil is stout anyways, what else could they add besides fancy bottles and marketing garbage

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Someone would have to define what high mileage for a Diesel is, Oil companies are claiming 75,000 is high mileage for a gas engine......Sounds absurd to me.

Valvoline Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40 says 125k miles.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Valvoline came up with this way back in the 1990's, it was a split decision between those who wanted to market it for 50,000 mi. and above and those who wanted 100,000 and above...

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
High mileage diesel oil... straight from the marketing dept.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
High mileage diesel oil... straight from the marketing dept.

That's for sure! Even I don't consider any diesel I have had to be high miles till after 500,000 miles, and then I still use the same oil that it got before. I have taken a few diesels to over 1 million miles and they got the same oil all their life.

Highe mileage Diesel Oil......whatever Oil got you to high mileage. Keep using it. If you happen to have a Detroit 60 high milage diesel oil will be dripping off the back of the rig straight out of the slobber tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back