Oil made from natural gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really have the better cleaning attributes as marketing suggests. I think Pennzoil claims up to 30% cleaner engine. Am trying Pennzoil Platinum 10w40.

Originally Posted By: andyd
being made from NG isn't that synthetic oil by definition?

And what is your definition of synthetic?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Some call it unoficially group III+, but technically it's group III.

I went back k and did some research and you are correct it's called a group III oil. It's is considered synthetic so III+ or 3.5. It's supposed to be a great cleaner so I'm guessing that's whey everybody says to use platinum in dirty motors. I'm glad to see Rotella is going to be hitting the shelves soon with this formula supposed to also be really shear stable so my motorcycles and jeep will be getting a new drink.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Does it really have the better cleaning attributes as marketing suggests. I think Pennzoil claims up to 30% cleaner engine. Am trying Pennzoil Platinum 10w40.

No, the other way around: less weak spots for oxydising the oil and contributing to deposits

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly

I went back k and did some research and you are correct it's called a group III oil. It's is considered synthetic so III+ or 3.5. It's supposed to be a great cleaner so I'm guessing that's whey everybody says to use platinum in dirty motors. I'm glad to see Rotella is going to be hitting the shelves soon with this formula supposed to also be really shear stable so my motorcycles and jeep will be getting a new drink.

compared to PAO synthetics, the GTL oils still ave a very narrow band of viscosities for base oils so they can only be used for relatively thin oils. The VI isn't quite as good as PAO either but it's closing the gap. The temperature stability isn't the same either, and the pour point isn't as good either.

Better in most respects than a non-GTL group III base oil, but not up to the level of PAO. Price is definitely better for GTL though.

Originally Posted By: andyd
being made from NG isn't that synthetic oil by definition?

And what is your definition of synthetic?
smile.gif

not my definition, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil I guess the other sources could be interpreted as NG The article doesn't consider group III at all. I stand corrected. Thank you
grin2.gif

It's supposed to be a great cleaner so I'm guessing that's whey everybody says to use platinum in dirty motors. I'm glad to see Rotella is going to be hitting the shelves soon with this formula supposed to also be really shear stable so my motorcycles and jeep will be getting a new drink.

Cleaning is done by the detergents and the surfactant components in the additive package.

Cleaner/Surfactant

Last edited:
Just more marketing. 30% better than what level. Lets see the real world test from cars that have more than 300,000 miles on them. Not just lab tests that help sell oil. And how many cars in the real world stay with an owner more than 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

compared to PAO synthetics, the GTL oils still ave a very narrow band of viscosities for base oils so they can only be used for relatively thin oils. The VI isn't quite as good as PAO either but it's closing the gap. The temperature stability isn't the same either, and the pour point isn't as good either.

Better in most respects than a non-GTL group III base oil, but not up to the level of PAO. Price is definitely better for GTL though.

High quality group III ie Visom or Pennzoil's GTL also have some benefits over PAO. Seal compatibility,additive solubility, come to mind.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
And how many cars in the real world stay with an owner more than 5 years.

Me

09 silverado bought new 29k
95 wrangler bought in 02 199k
67 C10 chevy truck bought in 89 unknown miles
All still in the driveway, but my wife has a new one every 5 years, apparently she loves car payments. Stupid!

Originally Posted By: mbacfp

Since when did they make PP 10w-40? I've never seen of or heard of that anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Rand

High quality group III ie Visom or Pennzoil's GTL also have some benefits over PAO. Seal compatibility,additive solubility, come to mind.

Not with the appropriate additives and blending...

I apologize...I used 10w30. Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting stuff on the natural gas oils. Thanks to all.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I think you'll find they'll be about the same for GTL and PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back