Status
Not open for further replies.
Make-up Oil-0
FIlter-K&N 204
Oil-Bel Ray EXS 4T Full Synthetic Ester 10w-40
Time on oil-22 months
Miles on Oil-10k
Miles on Engine-44k

10,000 miles is about twice as long as the average oil run we've seen for this type of engine, but
your Honda isn't struggling at all with the longer runs. In fact, on a per-mile basis, wear metals are lower
than average. Even aluminum dropped a little this time, so there's no mark necessary. The viscosity is fine
for 10W/40, and there are no air or oil filtration problems to speak of. The TBN is still fine at 2.9. Try 12,000
miles on the next oil and check back.

ALUMINUM-11
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-25
COPPER-12
LEAD-1
TIN-0
NICKEL-0
SILICON-21
MANGANESE-1
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-5
BORON-15
SODIUM-7
CALCIUM-2267
MAGNESIUM-18
PHOSPHORUS-905
MOLYBDENUM-43
ZINC-1129
BARIUM-0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-67.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-12.20
Flashpoint in °F-385
Fuel % span>
Antifreeze %-0.0
Insolubles %- .3
Water-0
TBN-2.9
TAN
ISO Code

Lots of Agressive riding, several runs on the Dragon, and similar/worse roads. Continued to shift as though it were fresh oil throughout the entire run. This is the fourth 10k OCI this Bike has seen, and wear metals continue to drop. At this point, Amsoil seems to have held up the best out of Bel Ray, Rotella, Mobil 1.

In:Alisyn Prodrive 21 15w-40, MAHLE Original OC 575 Oil Filter

Those 6 cylinder 'Wing engines are awesome. Hardly surprising it's so easy on oil, they're never really working too hard. I badly want an F6B!

It seems Honda is now using Belray 10w-40 in the GL1800, well at least my dealer did in my F6B. Not sure if it's EXS or EXP though. The bike shifts incredibly smooth; I think I'll give this oil a shot. Previously been using the Mobil Racing 4T 10w-40

a goldwing is about the easiest there is on oil

i dont even know if you need to run oil in it...you *might* be able to get away with #2 diesel

The Bel Ray looks like a pretty decent oil, especially in this application. Always wondered about this oil. I always see it at bike shops here. I'd like to see a uoa or voa of the mineral version.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Make-up Oil-0
FIlter-K&N 204
Oil-Bel Ray EXS 4T Full Synthetic Ester 10w-40
Time on oil-22 months
Miles on Oil-10k
Miles on Engine-44k

10,000 miles is about twice as long as the average oil run we've seen for this type of engine, but
your Honda isn't struggling at all with the longer runs. In fact, on a per-mile basis, wear metals are lower
than average. Even aluminum dropped a little this time, so there's no mark necessary. The viscosity is fine
for 10W/40, and there are no air or oil filtration problems to speak of. The TBN is still fine at 2.9. Try 12,000
miles on the next oil and check back.

ALUMINUM-11
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-25
COPPER-12
LEAD-1
TIN-0
NICKEL-0
SILICON-21
MANGANESE-1
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-5
BORON-15
SODIUM-7
CALCIUM-2267
MAGNESIUM-18
PHOSPHORUS-905
MOLYBDENUM-43
ZINC-1129
BARIUM-0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-67.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-12.20
Flashpoint in °F-385
Fuel % span>
Antifreeze %-0.0
Insolubles %- .3
Water-0
TBN-2.9
TAN
ISO Code

Lots of Agressive riding, several runs on the Dragon, and similar/worse roads. Continued to shift as though it were fresh oil throughout the entire run. This is the fourth 10k OCI this Bike has seen, and wear metals continue to drop. At this point, Amsoil seems to have held up the best out of Bel Ray, Rotella, Mobil 1.

In:Alisyn Prodrive 21 15w-40, MAHLE Original OC 575 Oil Filter
+1 on the Amsoil . Different Bike but my FZ1 likes the Amsoil 20w-50 better than the M1 10w-40. Shifts better.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does a maintained Gold Wing Even wear?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
That is a very real question!!!

Sure they do. But the wear rates of a GL1800 are similar to glacial movement during an ice age.
Longer OCIs are easily warranted; 10k miles is a starting point, not a condemnation limit in these motors.
And as typical, it really does not matter what lube you use, as long as it's an appropriate lube meeting the application. I have seen dino HDEOs exhibit this kind of wear protection, too, in a 'Wing. Keep in mind that these are unitized motors, so the Fe in the lube also comes from normal gear wear and not just engine wear. Overall, a very nice UOA here.

A bit off topic, but only slightly ...
My buddy and I are going to do the four-corners tour next year, in 2018. He rides a GL1800, too. For us, it will be about 10.5k miles total. He asked where/when we should plan on getting oil changed along the route. I told him "At the end, when we got home". And I am totally serious about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: CT8
Does a maintained Gold Wing Even wear?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
That is a very real question!!!

Sure they do. But the wear rates of a GL1800 are similar to glacial movement during an ice age.
Longer OCIs are easily warranted; 10k miles is a starting point, not a condemnation limit in these motors.
And as typical, it really does not matter what lube you use, as long as it's an appropriate lube meeting the application. I have seen dino HDEOs exhibit this kind of wear protection, too, in a 'Wing. Keep in mind that these are unitized motors, so the Fe in the lube also comes from normal gear wear and not just engine wear. Overall, a very nice UOA here.

A bit off topic, but only slightly ...
My buddy and I are going to do the four-corners tour next year, in 2018. He rides a GL1800, too. For us, it will be about 10.5k miles total. He asked where/when we should plan on getting oil changed along the route. I told him "At the end, when we got home". And I am totally serious about that.

I am sure you are serious about it but he is your riding partner and that means has an equal say in the trip, right?

Having my oil changed during the trip would improve the enjoyment and peace-of-mind I got during the trip and being "told" we are not going to schedule that would result in understandable and unneceesary friction.

Go grab a coffee while he gets his oil changed. Or are you the boss of him?
laugh.gif

Question of Friction Modifiers and wet clutches.

Which are the FMs that cause shifting issues?

I see the Bel-Ray is low in:
MAGNESIUM-18
MOLYBDENUM-43

And high in:
ZINC-1129
PHOSPHORUS-905

Is it Moly and Mag which affect a wet clutch?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Difficult to say. Could be that the additives which cause wet clutch issues don't show up in typical oil analyses.

Red Line oils typically have a lot of moly in them but don't cause clutches to slip.

Originally Posted By: jeff78

Difficult to say. Could be that the additives which cause wet clutch issues don't show up in typical oil analyses.

Red Line oils typically have a lot of moly in them but don't cause clutches to slip.

Thanks Jeff.

I always hear about the generic warning of FMs being bad for wet clutches but no further identification.

Rotella was always reputed to be good in motorcycles but with the new CK-4/SN mixture that promises far superior lubrication while not increasing the traditional ZDDP, etc,...I am left wondering what are the new additives that improve lubrication so much?

And are they going to adversely affect wet clutches?

Will Rotella CK-4 no longer be a good oil for wet clutches?

Shell still claims JASO MA/MA2 for the CK-4 15W-40 T4 and 5W-40 T6, so those two particular CK-4 Rotellas shouldn't present any problem for wet clutches.

Originally Posted By: jeff78

Shell still claims JASO MA/MA2 for the CK-4 15W-40 T4 and 5W-40 T6, so those two particular CK-4 Rotellas shouldn't present any problem for wet clutches.

That is great news.

This is the first confirmation I have heard.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back