Chevy truck bulbs, what's better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My brother has a 97' Chevy C1500 Silverado, has the 9006 bulbs as stock and they are absolutely terrible. The housings look like every other Chevy truck so I don't think they're real foggy, I think it's what they're supposed to look like.

Are there brighter bulbs to put in this thing? Different part number?

Thanks

The best thing to do, if possible, is to change to a grille/front end from another year GM truck of that generation. Those headlights will be horrible no matter that bulbs you use.

Get one from a truck that has the 200mm/6x7/H6054 sealed beams, and then put in Hella E-codes. This is BY FAR the best option, if he's willing to do it. If he's willing to change the grille, but not willing to spend the money for Hella E-codes, then he can use GE Nighthawk sealed beams.

If he insists on sticking with the [censored] headlights he has now, the best bulbs you can buy for it are the GE Nighthawk Xenon (9006NHX), the slightly cheaper Platinum (9006NHP), Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited (9006NBU), or Philips Xtreme Vision 9006. Howeverm they will still not be that great. It is NOT safe to use 9012 "HIR" bulbs on these trucks.

Whatever you decide, aim them like this

Originally Posted By: horse123
http://goo.gl/PGc0XB

Much cheaper option, probably better quality too.

nope, not better quality at all, in fact, probably far worse. Good headlights actually take quite a bit of R&D. Most aftermarket headlights are junk and not worth using.

Also, even though they may look like every other truck and not foggy, the lenses can still be pitted. You can get brand new OEM headlights like what's on the truck already, but the upgrades I mentioned in the second post are a much better use of your time, money, and effort.

It's possible that the reflective chrome has burned off of the inside or at least dulled. New housings would probably help. Check RockAuto and maybe get some TYC's for cheap.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Get one from a truck that has the 200mm/6x7/H6054 sealed beams, and then put in Hella E-codes. This is BY FAR the best option, if he's willing to do it. If he's willing to change the grille, but not willing to spend the money for Hella E-codes, then he can use GE Nighthawk sealed beams.

But then he'll have the 'work truck' grille, which looks like poop IMO

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
he'll have the 'work truck' grille, which looks like poop IMO

The work truck grille is awesome
smile.gif

I replaced a 1994 Dakota grill with the Dodge "work truck" grill that could hold tiny Hella H4 units. It was a LOT more work than I expected. However, there were NO Chinese units that fit. I have put Chines units on Nissan Harbodies, Camrys, Rams, Chevy Venture vans, etc. ALL proved to be higher quality units and reasonable prices.

bump

I am in the same situation. I tried Sylvania was not entirely satisfied. Got 1 year out off them and not as bright as expected.

The best thing to do, if possible, is to change to a grille/front end from another year GM truck of that generation. Those headlights will be horrible no matter that bulbs you use.

If he insists on sticking with the [censored] headlights he has now, the best bulbs you can buy for it are the GE Nighthawk Xenon (9006NHX), the slightly cheaper Platinum (9006NHP), Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited (9006NBU), or Philips Xtreme Vision 9006. Howeverm they will still not be that great. It is NOT safe to use 9012 "HIR" bulbs on these trucks.

^^^ absolutely gets my vote. ^^^ the 97 oems are poor to start with. most aftermarket is worse. THIS path is great for lighting. And I wouldn't worry about "work truck" looks. I think it's a solid, manly, simple face, with much better lamp performance.

Last edited:

^^^ absolutely gets my vote. ^^^ the 97 oems are poor to start with. most aftermarket is worse. THIS path is great for lighting. And I wouldn't worry about "work truck" looks. I think it's a solid, manly, simple face, with much better lamp performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back