2016 Tacoma 3.5L V6 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
My Canyon was a bit noisy - one afternoon & $300 later, way quieter.
Did doors, easy part of floors, and rear panel with one layer DynaMat plus one layer closed cell foam
(all peel and stick) ...

That's an idea for sure. I have an extended cab and the rear doors are extra light and flimsy. I think they let a lot of sound in. I'm not ready to start pulling off door panels or anything at the moment though.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
I've got a 2012 Tacoma. The seating position in Toyotas puts you closer to the floor with your feet out in front of you like in a car. Also, they're a noiser inside and have a relatively rougher ride than a full size.

The 2016 Tacoma is heavily revised from the '05-'15 models. The 2016 is much quieter driving down the highway than previous models.

That's good. I still don't think I'd get another one though. They don't have enough of a fuel economy benefit over a full size.
I might be able to be persuaded to get a diesel canyon or Colorado.

Was putting in some Infinity speakers - so popped the door panels for that. I only removed door jams to get under carpet.
80% coverage with these two products shuts down the attenuation - the closed cell foam blocks outside noise.

You can spend lots of time on this like the pro's do - but my ears are not that sharp
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Hey guys,

So I've been eye balling some potential 4x4s that I would be considering looking at later on down the road as a new truck. Lately I've been talking and looking a lot at the 2015 F150 FX4. Well the last couple days have been centered around the 2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 3.5L with the manual trans. And it has a lot going for itself as far as what I'm looking for in terms of fuel economy and affordability. The ford is about $4k more in its package versus the Toyota which sits about $8k lighter for the package I'm looking at.

The Toyota wins in category of:
Affordability, fuel economy.

Ford wins in:
Interior room, more HP and towing capability(V8)

I wouldn't be towing anything except maybe a Jon boat and trailer or firewood at best and the bells and whistles of touch screen this or power that isn't a matter of concern because I'm perfectly fine with hand rolling the Windows and such. If you guys have any experience particularly with the Tacoma could you elaborate on the highs and lows please? I've researched the ford six ways from Sunday so I pretty well just need i for on the Tacoma such as is it hard on oil? Especially seeing as it is recommended 0w-20? Any mechanical issues that have surfaced?

I have a 2016 Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed TRD Off-Road. Personally, I would take it over an F-150 if they got the same fuel economy and were the same price just because I don't want to deal with a full-sized truck. I did sit in a 2015 Tacoma last year and found it too small, but the 2016 is just right in my opinion. The engine is the same 3.5L that Lexus has been using for a while and no it's not hard on oil. In fact, the factory OCI is 10K miles. Let me know if you have any more specific questions I can answer.

True, full size is (or can be) hard to park. I also sweated a bit taking it on a narrow&fast parkway in NY.

I'd think full size and mid-size would have a difference on the highway. Full size might have more isolation from the road--not desirable around town, but if you rack up hours at a time on the highway it might.

The manual transmission though might be worth something.

Originally Posted By: supton
True, full size is (or can be) hard to park. I also sweated a bit taking it on a narrow&fast parkway in NY.

I'd think full size and mid-size would have a difference on the highway. Full size might have more isolation from the road--not desirable around town, but if you rack up hours at a time on the highway it might.

The manual transmission though might be worth something.

I agree that each has it's own use case. I use the Tacoma mostly for driving around town, getting to camping/fishing spots, and yard work. In this scenario, a full-size is not only overkill, but the size would be a detriment. For highway cruising, we use the wife's Highlander.

SatinSilver [B said:
Tell the dealer to make their money on the next schmuck that comes walking in. [/B]Dealers receive a six figure bonus from the manufacturer for selling a certain amount of units. So right around this time of year they should be getting close. And by six figure I mean around $250-$300k. So yeah don't be afraid to push them.

I told that to a dealer once, and they say they hear that so often if they heeded that they wouldn't make money on most deals.........

Last edited:
Lear about how to get the best price and drive both . I like Toyotas I have owed several over the years and I like Fords and have owned several over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back