Small overlap crash test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I have started our search for a minivan. 3 growing boys are getting tight in our Impala and Subaru Outback.

while watching minivan reviews I stumbled across the IIHS new small overlap tests for minivans. Many of the minivans did pretty bad, the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna and Kia Sedona all passed. The Dodge Grand caravan and Nissan Quest did poor, Nissan being the worst by far.

My question is; how valid do you think these new tests are? All the minivans passed the mid overlap test but this new test focuses the energy outside the main crash structure. While I do think it would suck to get hit at that angle, any car hit outside its crash stricture is going to crunch more.

I was leaning heavily towards the Dodge but after watching these tests it has me second guessing myself!

I think they're pretty valid. Look around a junkyard at the number of wrecks and how see how many are mostly one sided. My former experience as a volunteer fireman echo this as well, much more common than a square head-on collision.

How do they rate against your current Impala & Outback? I'm of the opinion that newer is safer, even if it gets a "poor" rating. Odds are it's better than something from 10 years ago.

I think the tests are valid, but it's easy to forget that they weren't even testing for this a few years ago. It's kinda hard to believe a vehicle magically becomes unsafe just because they came up with a new test to try out.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I think they're pretty valid. Look around a junkyard at the number of wrecks and how see how many are mostly one sided. My former experience as a volunteer fireman echo this as well, much more common than a square head-on collision.

Good point, they all pass the mid-overlap crash test. It's this new small overlap that just barely clips the front against their stationary crash post. pretty crazy test to watch.

The Caravan is being discontinued though and there is a completely new model out. The Toyota is likely to hold value better and may have fewer problems. IMO the tests are valid, they do a lot of research on it and it's science driven.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
My question is; how valid do you think these new tests are? All the minivans passed the mid overlap test but this new test focuses the energy outside the main crash structure.

Do you think a drunk driver who veers into your lane will have the courtesy to avoid hitting the corner of your vehicle just because you chose the inferior Dodge or Nissan?

R U gonna crash that way? If not, ignore. A Driver veering into YOUR lane is not same as his vehicle is deformable. This small overlap is into non-deformable barrier - similar to hitting a bridge pier column.
If you are going to hit head on - maximize the frontal overlap.

Or, alternatively, sacrifice the passenger if deemed expendable.

Last edited:
The test is valid, but at the same time it's just a test. There is probably not a single real world crash that would match this test. The amount of overlap, the height of the other vehicle (in the test it's a static wall), different speeds etc. all play a huge role during a crash.

The real question is: has IIHS been able to prove a documented decrease in fatality rates or serious injury rates ever since they introduced the small overlap test?

Relax. Every car you've owned to this point is practically a "death trap" by comparison to the average new car / minivan available today.

You're still kickin? heck, the car you rode home from the hospital as a newborn was akin to juggling chainsaws while walking hot coals compared to what can be purchased now.

Fate will get you someday, might be while crossing the street or making love....we can't choose.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
The wife and I have started our search for a minivan. 3 growing boys are getting tight in our Impala and Subaru Outback.

while watching minivan reviews I stumbled across the IIHS new small overlap tests for minivans. Many of the minivans did pretty bad, the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna and Kia Sedona all passed. The Dodge Grand caravan and Nissan Quest did poor, Nissan being the worst by far.

My question is; how valid do you think these new tests are? All the minivans passed the mid overlap test but this new test focuses the energy outside the main crash structure. While I do think it would suck to get hit at that angle, any car hit outside its crash stricture is going to crunch more.

I was leaning heavily towards the Dodge but after watching these tests it has me second guessing myself!

I've not seen the tests. I can tell you this from personal experience. My wife was T-boned by a Honda Civic at 50 mph. Destroyed the Honda. Wife walked away. I drove the van home. This is a 2000 Dodge GC. Ins totaled it, bought it back and had it rebuilt. It's still being driven today. Has 172K on it now.

In my opinion, the Dodge mini is the best bang for the buck. I've owned 8 now, currently driving a 2013 Dodge GC. We currently have 3 in the family, including a 2006 Chrysler T&C.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Relax. Every car you've owned to this point is practically a "death trap" by comparison to the average new car / minivan available today.

You're still kickin? heck, the car you rode home from the hospital as a newborn was akin to juggling chainsaws while walking hot coals compared to what can be purchased now.

Fate will get you someday, might be while crossing the street or making love....we can't choose.

That is a good way to put it. I think I do drive myself crazy from researching too much. The Honda/Toyota are really out of our price range, even a few years old used one unless it has 100K+ miles which leaves the Dodge and Kia as options. Even the Kia is 2-3K more than the Dodge but may be a good compromise to value VS tested safety.

These tests certainly must cause a moral dilemma for some. If you cheap out on a vehicle that has tested as less safe, how do you handle an accident that injures or kills you or someone else? Do you not buy a vehicle that you love in every aspect, but it fails this or another safety test? What about the recent thread about most SUV's having diminished headlight performance? A bigger vehicle will usually fair better than a small one. Everyone that is driving a sub compact is morally wrong? We shouldn't be driving any 15 year old beaters? No one should put low cost tires on their vehicle because the stop less well?

Where do you draw the line?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

These tests certainly must cause a moral dilemma for some. If you cheap out on a vehicle that has tested as less safe, how do you handle an accident that injures or kills you or someone else? Do you not buy a vehicle that you love in every aspect, but it fails this or another safety test? What about the recent thread about most SUV's having diminished headlight performance? A bigger vehicle will usually fair better than a small one. Everyone that is driving a sub compact is morally wrong? We shouldn't be driving any 15 year old beaters? No one should put low cost tires on their vehicle because the stop less well?

I think you first have to realize that everyone will have their own place to draw the line; and that some will make it their duty for you to be on their side of the line, and ostracize you if you don't do as they do. Once you realize that you aren't picking something to please others I think you are more "free" to look at the variables that pertain to you.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

If you are going to hit head on - maximize the frontal overlap.

Or, alternatively, sacrifice the passenger if deemed expendable.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

This is exactly what I am struggling with, especially because this is a new test. What if I bought the Honda/Toyota and they came up with some "side impact at a small rearward angle" test they both fail next year? Then I'd be back at square one...

I think I am going to have to draw the line at looking what the vehicles were designed to pass and go from there. The Dodge passes the mid overlap just fine as well as the rest of the tests with "Good" ratings which is what it was designed to meet. If I can get into the Kia and it meets the rest of our needs we may go that route just for piece of mind + better warranty. I'm not sure how close it can come to in price though.

We're going to go test drive them one right after another tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for all the feedback, it really helps.

Last edited:
We went last night and test drove them both. The wife liked the Kia better and I liked the Dodge. There are no great deals going on right now in my area so we are going to shop around for a bit on both and see which we can get a better deal on. I'd honestly be happier with either, the Kia's are harder to find so I have a feeling we'll end up with a Dodge when the time is right. I know the Dodge is a older design in and out, but it felt more sturdy to me and actually rode smoother and more quietly than the Kia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back