CV boots ripped on Chevy Blazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Chevy Blazer with 93k on the OD.

The passenger side A arm on my brother's truck is covered in grease. Originally, I thought it was the CV shaft seal inside the differential, which apparently is a common issue on these. Before I went on, I wanted to check the diff and top off as needed.. it was full.

I believe the stuff is just grease spewing from the CV boot. The passenger side is horrendous and the driver side is following suit. It looks like the control arms have to come off (just replaced the passenger side
tired.gif
), but aside from that it seems simple. Might as well replace those seals when I am in there too. Just seems odd the boots are in such poor shape with so few miles. I guess it is almost 20 years old.
21.gif

Are the boots original?

Rubber does rot over time and front, outer CV joints see lots of wear.

I've replaced both inner & outer boots. It's quite a messy job, but well worth it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Are the boots original?

Not exactly sure.

He's only had it 1.5 years.

Finally had a work and wedding free Saturday and got it swapped out.

Removed the hub bearing and the upper and lower ball joint nuts. (May have been able to leave the bearing on?) 2 taps later with a Grandpa's 32oz ball pein and the knuckle fell right off. I had a 1' 6x6 under the knuckle and a jack supporting the lower A arm and torsion bar. The CV shaft came right out with a few taps from The Hammer and an oak block too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back