WIX 51372 ADBV Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last oil change, I discovered the WIX 51372 ADBV leaks.

2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. 155465 miles on vehicle. 5033 miles on oil and filter.

Out: MC Premium Synthetic Blend 5W30; WIX 51372

In: Quaker State Advanced Durability 10W30; Fram TG2

After setting for 12 hours, pulled the filter and there was no oil in the galleries above the oil filter.

Re-installed the filter and ran the engine 2 minutes at the most. Pulled the filter and recovered 4 oz. plus of oil from the galleries. Conclusion: ADBV function is a fail.

I was planning on doing a cut and post but maybe the community at large would be better served if I reported this to WIX so they can do a better failure analysis.

What say you?

Let WIX have the filter or I do the cut & post.

If they send out a kit for you to send it back to them for free, then go that route. Would be interesting to see what they say and they might give you some free stuff to boot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If they send out a kit for you to send it back to them for free, then go that route. Would be interesting to see what they say and they might give you some free stuff to boot.

ZeeOSix - this may be best. i have two more from the same lot in my stash. Maybe I can get them to take those back too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe they'll want to see the used one and the unused ones from that lot. It's worth a shot before cutting anything.

Garak - I agree that makes sense.

On a side note, the Ranger runs very quietly on QSAD 10W30.

Read the OP a few times to make sure I got the details. I didn't read anything about a start up rattle, noticeable or otherwise with this filter. 'IMO', no rattle it's not a significant issue.

That said, seeing as you're not satisfied with your anecdotal observation/conclusion you could/should contact Wix to see if they want to or will examine the filter. If they send you a return kit then you can have them look at it. Having said that, I'm thinking you should be prepared just in case Wix in their bench testing doesn't reach the same conclusion(s) you did. However, if they don't send a kit, then moot point and cut it open. Best move either way is switch brands to one that better suits your expectations as it appears you've done at this point. Perhaps sell the two others on craigslist. My .02

Quote from OP:
After setting for 12 hours, pulled the filter and there was no oil in the galleries above the oil filter.

Question: When the Filter was removed, was it empty or did it contain any Oil ? ? ?
If the ADBV is not working, the Filter would be empty also.
When I remove my Filter, I take a screw-driver and push the ADBV 'in' so it drains out 10 Oz of oil.

But also, on my Ford Ranger, there is a small Funnel attached to the frame to divert any oil draining (from galleries ?).

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Re-installed the filter and ran the engine 2 minutes at the most. Pulled the filter and recovered 4 oz. plus of oil from the galleries. Conclusion: ADBV function is a fail.

I didn't see that you mentioned any start up knock. Was there?
Perhaps there was some dirt in the ADBV in the Wix and it allowed the oil to drain out. It did have 5K on it. Or, perhaps it honestly did fail.
You shut the engine off and then waited 12 hours to take it off. Hot oil is pretty thin and could easily have went past the ADBV. Yet you run the engine for 2 minutes, pull the filter and deduce that the Fram is good. Why pull the filter after after two minutes? Just so you could see if the oil (which in 2 minutes hasn't even reached operating temp yet) went past the ADBV?

I think there is a little too much paranoia in the oil filter section and the powers that be here, or at least a few posters who think they have all the power, are encouraging it.

Does the filter use the combo valve? As I read it, the Wix filter was reinstalled and run for two minutes and there was oil held?

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Read the OP a few times to make sure I got the details. I didn't read anything about a start up rattle, noticeable or otherwise with this filter. 'IMO', no rattle it's not a significant issue.

That said, seeing as you're not satisfied with your anecdotal observation/conclusion you could/should contact Wix to see if they want to or will examine the filter. If they send you a return kit then you can have them look at it. Having said that, I'm thinking you should be prepared just in case Wix in their bench testing doesn't reach the same conclusion(s) you did. However, if they don't send a kit, then moot point and cut it open. Best move either way is switch brands to one that better suits your expectations as it appears you've done at this point. Perhaps sell the two others on craigslist. My .02

1. I did the test mainly to have an easy to perform and repeatable test to know if the filters I am looking at have good ADBV function.
2. There was no observed startup rattle before oil and filter change. I was expecting this filter to hold oil very well over a 12 hour period. I am surprised it did not.
3. This engine does demonstrate startup rattle for about 3 seconds on the first startup after an oil and filter change.
4. This filter is used on many different applications and the filter may be an issue for some of them.
5. If WIX is not interested, I will likely do a cut and post and use the filters up depending upon what I see.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Quote from OP:

Question: When the Filter was removed, was it empty or did it contain any Oil ? ? ?
If the ADBV is not working, the Filter would be empty also.
When I remove my Filter, I take a screw-driver and push the ADBV 'in' so it drains out 10 Oz of oil.

But also, on my Ford Ranger, there is a small Funnel attached to the frame to divert any oil draining (from galleries ?).

Answer: Full of oil.
larryinnewyork: If the ADBV is not working, the Filter would be empty also.
WellOiled: The mount on this engine is mostly base up. And the oil did not siphon out of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I didn't see that you mentioned any start up knock. Was there?
Perhaps there was some dirt in the ADBV in the Wix and it allowed the oil to drain out. It did have 5K on it. Or, perhaps it honestly did fail.
You shut the engine off and then waited 12 hours to take it off. Hot oil is pretty thin and could easily have went past the ADBV. Yet you run the engine for 2 minutes, pull the filter and deduce that the Fram is good. Why pull the filter after after two minutes? Just so you could see if the oil (which in 2 minutes hasn't even reached operating temp yet) went past the ADBV?

I think there is a little too much paranoia in the oil filter section and the powers that be here, or at least a few posters who think they have all the power, are encouraging it.

Question: I didn't see that you mentioned any start up knock. Was there?
Answer: No startup rattle was observed on the outgoing oil and filter.

Question: You shut the engine off and then waited 12 hours to take it off. Hot oil is pretty thin and could easily have went past the ADBV.
Answer: The ADBV is supposed to keep the oil from draining back to the sump. That is it's purpose.

Question: Yet you run the engine for 2 minutes, pull the filter and deduce that the Fram is good.
Answer: The Fram was not being tested here. I re-installed the WIX filter, ran the engine for 2 minutes max and then observed 4 oz plus of oil was recovered from above the filter.

The amount of oil leaked down would be the difference between the amount of oil recovered after running the engine and the amount of oil recovered after setting for 12 hours. Simple and quantifiable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Does the filter use the combo valve? As I read it, the Wix filter was reinstalled and run for two minutes and there was oil held?

No, this one is a silicone ADBV and the bypass is on the dome end.

Correct, the WIX filter was reinstalled and run for two minutes and held at least over a 5 minute time interval.

Over 12 hours, it leaked down.

You can ask them if they want it back, but I can't believe they would give you anything for it. Would be interesting to see it cut open, though, to see what happened.

Not a valid test.

Not saying that you don't have a defective unit, but ...

Example:
My Subaru has and empty oil filter overnight regardless of what brand or quality is on there.

Depending on the engine, some will allow oil to drain out of the mains and air will infiltrate and rise into the filter emptying the oil.

I would get a foot of threaded pipe, screw it into the outlet, fill the filter then the pipe with oil. and see how much weeps past the ADBV. OR ypou could just wet the adbv with 1/4fl.oz oil (from the inside too) and apply air pressure to the pipe (blow test) and look for blowby. This could be done, alternatively, with a rubber grommeted stem at the parts store. Just press the stem onto the outlet and ... blow.

That said I have had a couple of defective wix over the years. They are not immune. Its a cheap, dollar cost commodity item that are not individually tested - just sampled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not a valid test.

Example:
My Subaru has and empty oil filter overnight regardless of what brand or quality is on there.

Depending on the engine, some will allow oil to drain out of the mains and air will infiltrate and rise into the filter emptying the oil.

I would get a foot of threaded pipe, screw it into the outlet, fill the filter then the pipe with oil. and see how much weeps past the ADBV. OR ypou could just wet the adbv with 1/4fl.oz oil (from the inside too) and apply air pressure to the pipe (blow test) and look for blowby. This could be done, alternatively, with a rubber grommeted stem at the parts store. Just press the stem onto the outlet and ... blow.

That said I have had a couple of defective wix over the years. They are not immune. Its a cheap, dollar cost commodity item that are not individually tested - just sampled.

Good idea. I would have to get someone to cut the metric threads.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not a valid test.

Example:

I agree. I have changed filters without changing oil a few times and oil does not drain out of these sideways mounted filters. This is with several different manufacturers of filters.

When I change oil, I wait 30 minutes before removing the filter. This way I do not get oil dripping down the side of the engine block. I use this method with several different vehicle and filter combinations.

As was mentioned, it's possible the design of your engine allows the galleries to drain down even if the ADBV is working. Only why to know this is to do the same test with a few different oil filters. How has oil behaved draining out in the past with other oil filters?

So when you removed the filter after the engine sat off for 12+ hours, it sounds like no oil rushed out of the seam between the engine and base gasket when the filter was first unscrewed? Is that the oil you are saying would be coming from the oil galleries above the filter?

If the filter is truly vertical with base up then I'd think it would be easy to determine if gallery oil is draining out, and hence if the ADBV is working correctly. If the filter is mounted somewhat horizontal then some of that oil could be coming out of the filter.

As was mentioned, it's possible the design of your engine allows the galleries to drain down even if the ADBV is working. Only why to know this is to do the same test with a few different oil filters. How has oil behaved draining out in the past with other oil filters?

So when you removed the filter after the engine sat off for 12+ hours, it sounds like no oil rushed out of the seam between the engine and base gasket when the filter was first unscrewed? Is that the oil you are saying would be coming from the oil galleries above the filter?

If the filter is truly vertical with base up then I'd think it would be easy to determine if gallery oil is draining out, and hence if the ADBV is working correctly. If the filter is mounted somewhat horizontal then some of that oil could be coming out of the filter.

ZeeOSix I will take them one by one.

Usually, I drain the oil as hot as I can stand it. Or about 30 minutes after a long run when the sump is completely hot. In this condition, all the filters I have removed will gush lots of oil between the filter gasket and the oil filter mounting surface. Generally, I have a mess to clean up.

No oil rushed out from between the engine and the filter. Yes, that is correct.

The filter is mounted about 15 degrees from vertical with the base up (almost vertical). It is definitely not perfectly vertical.

On my Tacoma, the filter mounts face down. Mobil1 filters are always completely lightweight and dry when I remove them. They're empty when I cut them open. OTOH, RPs are heavy, and gush with oil when I cut them open.

It was consistent enough to where I only run RPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back