Need advices for oil filter inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I'm going to OC soon and this time I decide to disassemble the oil filter for inspection. It will be my first time and I need advices for the best way to remove the shell and also for the useful and important things I should look at.

Anyway thanks.

Last edited:
Any torn pleats
Soft or hard ADBV
Basically look for any imperfections if there are any
Admire your filter?
grin.gif

Use a bright light or the sun to shine thru the media and look for small holes. Where the pleats of media are glued to the end caps, do you see a build up of carbon and/or do you see dirt building up deep in the bottom of the folds of media?

Best way to remove the shell ?

Some folks here have a Filter Cutter (best method).
Some folks use a Dremmel and grind it apart (contaminates inside of filter).

I only replace (1) Filter a year.
To cut open the shell, I use a Hammer & Chisel.
I chisel along where the threaded base is.

Suggestion: If you have an Anti-Drain Back Valve, (before cutting open) push a screw-driver thru it to drain any oil.

I cut mine apart for easier 'recyceling' of scrap metal.

Thanks guys. And what about the dirt? What an oil filter can tell about the "health" the engine or the degradation of the oil ?

Don't waste your time. Oil filter inspection.....look at where it mates to car. See any leaks? Nope. Then it's fine. When changing make sure old gasket doesn't stay attached to housing. If yes, gently remove. Use old oil or fresh oil to lube new gasket--[censored] even KY is fine hahaha. (Joke) Hand tighten. Once tight turn about a third to half of turn. Snug. Don't over tighten. Refil oil. Dispose of filter responsibly. Done.

Last edited:
About the only stuff you're gonna find in the media (MAYBE) is some carbon and/or some metal shavings. Carbon could be pretty normal since a lot of engines produce it and it gets caught by the filter. Metal shavings = engine is in BIG trouble, likely a massive failure in the works (i.e. rod bearing). You'll find your oil is pretty clean and simply only discolored. There are some oil filter analysis places that will analyze a vial of your engine's oil for key wear properties, elemental content, etc.

If you're cutting open a motorcraft filter, or a filter with a thin can, I find the easiest method is to cut the seam off at the base with a pair of tin snips. I always get a nice clean cut doing it that way.

Wear gloves, the metal will be sharp.

My car will reach 15 000 km OCI soon. Probably I'm going to OC next month. An UOA will be performed. The oil is PP with M1 EP as filter
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back