Supertech- ST3387- Virgin cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks to 2015_PSD for the oil filter cutter!
thankyou2.gif
cheers3.gif
34.gif

Last edited:
Well constructed filter. Pleats ripped pretty easily with some force, but what do you expect for a couple dollar filter? Would not have any problems running this filter with a 3K oil change. Any longer I would pick something else.

Gotta respect Wix, even the cheapest junk filter they make is built like a tank.

For what it is, a value tier filter selling for ~$2.85, a decent filter imo. Having looked at the ST9688 at WM and fits my applications, I'd have no reservations about using it for a conventional oil ~5k miles oci. And the 9688 uses separate dome bypass which is a big plus imo. Must be kinda popular too because WM seems to have difficulty keeping the 9688 in stock. The topic filter specs no filter integral bypass, so not a factor here.

Thanks for pics.

Did I miss the boat on this, and is Wix the supplier of ALL SuperTech filters, now, or just this one particular (or a few) model number(s)?

Yes they are made by Wix. At least for an ACDelco PF52 equivalent, SuperTech is basically the same as NAPA ProSelect. When the NAPA Silver was on sale last month for $2.50 each for most applications, they have just a little bit more media/pleats, and a spiral center tube being the major differences.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
... is Wix the supplier of ALL SuperTech filters, now.

Yes. Though some applications are consolidated so not all the same as Wix, Napa Gold, or even the ProSelect applications. Example, the popular 7317/14610 application is called the ST9688 because it combines the 9688/3593a application size with the 7317 application, at the size of the latter.

And very similar to the O'R MicroGard (same stated efficiency) line too, but also the ST line combines more applications than the MG.

Maybe the ST is not a clone of the Napa pre select as assumed, but even cheaper made. Those center tube holes look pretty rough on the inside. Not a lot of media length compared to the can length. Not for me, and I thought the same about the one I cut open, ST4386.

I used to respect Wix when they were Wix but they sold the company a while back and if I used them i would keep a close eye on them. As goodtimes mentioned above those holes on the center tube don't look like they used to.. They look really rough!

In point of 'fact', something I much prefer to spouted hearsay, these are still made by Wix. Wix now has a different parent company, however based on majority anecdotes and a fair amount of personal experience there's been no change in the overall quality of the product. And as noted these are value tier filter, and not going to be on the same level as a Wix labeled or Napa Gold filter. These are also a Wix 'made for' filter. In other words made to the specs of WM, not to Wix or Napa specs.

Relatively speaking for what they are, respectable quality. At $2.85 I'll take them over some equivalent Chinesium coo filter.

ACDelco PF52 equivalent below. Media length and pleat count on the SuperTech 3980 is good compared to the competition.

1. ACDelco PF52 Classic--9.7 oz.--51 pleats--Media 46 x 4=184

2. Hastings LF393--10.2 oz.--49 pleats--60 x 3.75=225

3. Fram PH3980--9.0 0z.--40 pleats--44.5 x 3.75=166.88

4. Wix 51060--10.0 oz.--54 pleats--Media 63 x 3.625=228.38

5. Fram TG3980--Clearfield Plant September 26, 2011-- 9.0 oz.--46 pleats--Metal crimped seam--

6. Fram TG3980--Greenville, Oh February 8, 2013--9.2 oz.--46 pleats--glued seam--3 7/8 x 52=201.5

7. SuperTech 3980--9.6 oz.--47 pleats--3.625 x 55.5=201.19

8. Napa Silver 31036--9.6 oz.--50 pleats--3.625 x 60=217.5

Thanks for confirmation that these are made by Wix. O'Reilly used to be the only place around where I could buy Wix (and I bought three of them before I left North Carolina). In Virginia, I don't have any O'Rs near me, so this would be my only source for "Wix" filters.

OP, in the first of your two "media" pictures, is that picture supposed to show the seam, where it appears to be two single layers of media right next to each other? Is that a glued seam (with clear glue), or should we be seeing a metal crimp there?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
In Virginia, I don't have any O'Rs near me, so this would be my only source for "Wix" filters...

Thinking you likely have a Napa AP store or two nearby. Napa Gold same filter. And many Napas have a semiannual sale NG sale that makes the Gold filter or on their store signage. It's beginning of spring and fall here, but can vary by locality.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Are these considered a jobber filter or one tier up from those?

IMO, I'd say about the same, be hard pressed to note a major difference. The ProSelect is often thought of as a jobber tier filter, and the ST is compared to the NPS.

The have the same box efficiency rating as MicroGard, the MG's have more separate applications.

Either way value or jobber about the same. A true jobber would be used by indy's and quick lubes so technically not. But construction wise about the same for all intents and purposes.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Are the seems glued properly? Looks like a big gap between where the 2 ends of media are supposed to be glued in the 6th pic.

Yes they are. If you pull back the seams there's some glue in there keeping them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back