Which oil for my old BMW and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in my ti(same M42 motor as OP with 144k miles), and I decided to try BMW's 5W-30(LL-01). The car has been retired from track duty and used @1 quart every 2,500 miles running M1 0W-40, so I'll be interested to see how the BMW oil performs.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Tomorrow or the next day, I'll give the old BMW an oil change.
It'll get one of the Mahle filters I got a deal on online.
The question is what should I use as the oil?
Here are the choices that might be suitable that I have on hand:

RK SAE 30
D1 5W-40
M1 HM 10W-30
Maxlife SB 10W-40
Valvoline 4T syn 20W-50
Syntec 5W-50
Durablend 10W-40
Delvac 15W-40

I know what I'm inclined to use and why. I'm just curious what others might recommend and their reasoning for their choices.

If you have excessive oil consumption, you can use a conventional 15W-40 or 20W-50 to save money.

I wouldn't use xW-30.

For cold weather M1 0W-40 or a 5W-40 HDEO are good choices.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: BobFout
The only oil on your list that I would consider for any of my old BMWs past, present or future, would be the Delvac 15W-40.

The same could be said for the Delvac 1 5w40 he lists too
grin2.gif

No, that couldn't be said, because I wouldn't consider it.

That oil is not suitable for Ohio winters. And...Delvac 1 5w40 is the gold standard for HDEOs.

The only oil on your list that I would consider for any of my old BMWs past, present or future, would be the Delvac 15W-40.

The same could be said for the Delvac 1 5w40 he lists too
grin2.gif

No, that couldn't be said, because I wouldn't consider it.

That oil is not suitable for Ohio winters. And...Delvac 1 5w40 is the gold standard for HDEOs.

Good thing it's summer.

Good thing it's summer.

It's too late in the year for a seasonal oil change... Spring has sprung and Fall is only a few months away. If he's doing 6 month oil changes, next ODI is December. The choice between Delvac 5w40 and 15w40 is easy for places where it gets cold.

It's not on your list, but I use Castrol Edge 0W-40 in my 2000 323i.

It is German made, and only about $23 for a 5qt jug at most Walmarts and Amazon.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
It's not on your list, but I use Castrol Edge 0W-40 in my 2000 323i.

It is German made, and only about $23 for a 5qt jug at most Walmarts and Amazon.

Is BMW German-made?
wink.gif

I started a 528e at -14F with dino 10w40 in the sump. You thin oil guys amuse me. I have started at +9 with 20w50. My last 2 528es don't use enough oil to be significant

We've had four Mercedes cars.
None of them leaked much oil but all of them had oil consumption to a degree that we never saw with any American or Japanese engine.
It's just the nature of the beast, your good luck notwithstanding.

No, it's totally against its nature. I've had 5 BMWs and 2 AUDIs and none of them have burnt any oil. My track car is a 323ti compact E36 from 1998 with 280 000kms and I've never needed to add any oil between the oil changes. BMW is not stock and the way it's driven is at the very least "severe".

Thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions.
I've just dumped in another quart of RK HD 30 makeup oil and will run this fill out to 4K or another three weeks or so. Dumping the Defy at 3K seemed a little foolish since the oil just went in on 4/17 and the car is driven under very easy conditions. I mean, how much easier than twenty five miles up a moderately fast two lane does it get? Also, a couple of quarts of added oil out to 3K will certainly refresh what's in there now.
Anyway, I'm leaning toward the Delvac 15W-40, since I'd like to give it a try.
According to the OM, this grade is good down to much lower temperatures than those I'll ever start this winter-stored car at, but then the OM also recommends 20W-50 down to about 14F. These engines must have some stout oil pump drives.

You will all hate me for this suggestion.

Supertech Universal 15W40

It at least matches Delvac 1300 in TBN, 100C Viscosity, -20C, and NOACK.

Its also on the Detroit 93K218 Extended Drain List.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions.
I've just dumped in another quart of RK HD 30 makeup oil and will run this fill out to 4K or another three weeks or so. Dumping the Defy at 3K seemed a little foolish since the oil just went in on 4/17 and the car is driven under very easy conditions. I mean, how much easier than twenty five miles up a moderately fast two lane does it get? Also, a couple of quarts of added oil out to 3K will certainly refresh what's in there now.
Anyway, I'm leaning toward the Delvac 15W-40, since I'd like to give it a try.
According to the OM, this grade is good down to much lower temperatures than those I'll ever start this winter-stored car at, but then the OM also recommends 20W-50 down to about 14F. These engines must have some stout oil pump drives.

They do, and they were designed in a country that gets at least as cold as Ohio during winter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gene K
You will all hate me for this suggestion.

Supertech Universal 15W40

It at least matches Delvac 1300 in TBN, 100C Viscosity, -20C, and NOACK.

Its also on the Detroit 93K218 Extended Drain List.

I already have the Delvac 1300 Super and it was cheaper after BOGO pricing from one of the parts chains plus an MIR.

The Germans do some things right and the e36 is one of those things.
The W123, W124 and W201 are a few others.

Decided to give the Delvac Super 1300 a shot.
A 15W-40 is fine for any temperature at which I'll ever start the car according to the OM.
I am curious about the effect on fuel economy with this much higher HTHS viscosity oil as compared to what I've used over the past few years.
I did run 6K on the even higher HTHS viscosity M1 EP 15W-40 and still saw more than 31 mpg average, so fuel economy may not suffer all that much, not that it really matters with the current price of fuel.

After a bit more than 1400 miles on the Delvac, I have observed lower oil consumption than I did with the Defy 10W-40 I'd used in the car for the previous four OCIs as well as maybe a 1-2% loss in fuel economy.
I've not yet had to add oil and won't until some time after 2K on this run.
Fuel economy on Delvac has ranged from a low of 31.1 mpg to a best of 32.4 mpg, so it's not as though the little guy is now swilling fuel.
Overall, I'd say I'm pleased with the Delvac and would consider it a valid choice for any old German car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back