Mouse Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a relatively large 240 lb guy who enjoys shooting all calibers and firearm types. I love my 9mm Shield, but I would say that the piece I carry most often is a little Kel-tec P-32. It slides into a small pocket holster in nearly ANYTHING, so I can carry it, quite literally, anywhere on my body and to any destination where carrying a firearm is legal.

Regarding "stopping power", I'm a firm subscriber in matching your protection to your perceived risk. I live in, what is by most measures, a safe community (where, and because, lots of people carry guns and believe in their 2A right), and I deem a .32ACP to be perfectly adequate for my perceived risk (which is low). I wouldn't carry a .32ACP as a primary weapon if I were a more valuable target (security, intelligence, etc), or felt more likely to need to use it at any given time. My primary carry weapon is to "get the bad guy off my person and let me get away". It's not for a shoot-out while crouched behind a table at the local Wendy's.

For that purpose, I really enjoy my little Kel-tec. I bought it very used, and it's been flawless for me. I've shot "hundreds" of rounds though it (at least three boxes of ammo, and more loose ammo on top of that). I use the factory Mec-Gar 7-rd magazines and they work great. I couldn't be more satisfied with it, and I'd buy another one in a second. My dad also has one that runs perfectly. His is what prompted me to buy mine.

That's the key right there. No matter what you like or have to carry, the thing is that you are carrying. Any pistol/caliber you have on you is way better than a 1911, etc.. sitting at home on the dresser.

L8R,
Matt

Some of the newer loads out there in .380 have gone a long way toward getting it to where the 9mm was 20 years ago. If it was the biggest she could handle I'd go that route. Any gun is better than no gun when a gun is required.

SP101, .327 mag. Point and pull. Will never jam due to limping it. Wheelguns are great for arthritic or otherwise debilitating hand problems. Hand might be sore afterwards, but soreness heals. Or a .22 mag revolver.... .22 mag has a killed a lot of whitetails... and apparently gators.

Originally Posted By: mr_boring
SP101, .327 mag. Point and pull. Will never jam due to limping it. Wheelguns are great for arthritic or otherwise debilitating hand problems. Hand might be sore afterwards, but soreness heals. Or a .22 mag revolver.... .22 mag has a killed a lot of whitetails... and apparently gators.

Hardly a mouse gun at 26 oz. More like a boat anchor. No it won't jam but I have had a Dan Wesson .357 lock up and fail to fire.

It's no mouse gun, but it's about 40x more comfortable to shoot than an LCR. And she is going to need to shoot it to be comfortable with it. I like double action vs dao, it's so much nicer to get familiar if you can cock it and learn the weapon from SA. Big strong men that can shoot snubby .44s all day long don't get that if it hurts to learn, the gun will eventually wind up staying in her dresser drawer. My LC9 hurts me after about a mag+1 of +P, so I don't train with it near enough. But, I have 30 odd years of shooting at least 10000 rounds of 9mm to fall back on, and another 10000+ rounds of other mixed calibers to boot. God, I miss the days of uber cheap middle eastern and european mil surplus ammo....

Yea..to each his own. I had a 101 many years ago. Just too much to carry and just got rid of an Airweight. I can go through a box of ammo on my LC9, G43, or 9mm Shield with no discomfort. The best to shoot (for me) is the G43.

Al, have you tried the Walther CCP?

On a side by side comparison, shooting the same day with the same ammo, the CCP had noticeably less recoil than the G43. It was surprising how effective the gas piston delay was at mitigating recoil.

I like the G43, a lot, and own 6 Glocks. But I plan to buy a CCP...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Astro, how is the quality on the newer Walther's? I've heard a lot of people had issues with the P-22, and it's Aluminum slide cracking.

I wish I knew for certain! I've only shot one (the CCP) at the range...but the guys at the range rent them, so if they hold up in that kind of use, I would think they should hold up as a carry pistol...and I thought that slide was steel...

The P22, like many 22 auto pistols that use a full slide uses alloy. The fact is the 22lr has so little recoil impulse that a full steel slide has too much mass. So aluminum or zinc alloys are used with some steel reinforcements.

As for slide cracking, I ran thousands of rounds through my circa 2008 P22 with no cracking. The gun was a bit picky on ammo though. Refused to run on Remington bulk ammo. I have one cracked slide on a Walther, but it is a post war P38 made in 61.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Astro, how is the quality on the newer Walther's? I've heard a lot of people had issues with the P-22, and it's Aluminum slide cracking.

No issues with my p-22 but as Robenstein stated, it likes high velocity ammo to cycle the slide.

What does she say? What sort of hand gun interests her? Maybe she is just naturally a revolver person (I am).

I admit a Python is much more fun than an LCR
laugh.gif

But she has to want to grab it and point it with confidence, and that means "natural" feel. Gotta let her handle some stuff until you see what she likes and wants to use and take care of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back