Peppers: do you grow them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Sunday morning BITOG. So, the girlfriend and I are growing mild, hot banana peppers and jalapeno's. How many of you folks grow them? I always love a fresh jalapeño in my salad or in a smoothie with some fresh produce from the garden
smile.gif

We have 24 various pepper plants. We just had a fresh picked bell pepper in our eggs this morning for breakfast. Some are eaten fresh, other we'll can or freeze for this winter.
We also have grapevine, cherry and full size tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, radishes and onions in the garden. For fresh fruit we have grapes, apple trees, cherry trees, strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries and aronia berries.

It's rare to have a meal that doesn't include food grown on our property.

I like spicy peppers, but the wife and three year old are not keen, so we grow a ton of bell peppers. Every color you can get.

We had a bad woodchuck issue this year, a lot of our leafy green vegetables are gone. Fortunately he left the peppers, tomatoes, beans,,etc alone..

I've grown them once or twice but no garden recently.

Buddy of mine grew jalapeños one summer, then the next year had habaneros on the other side of the yard...they got cross pollinated and he said the jalapeños could burn your face off, in a gallon pot of chile you could only use about 1/2 a jalapeño.

Rabbits ate all my romaine lettuce this year.. Still have onions, regular peppers, tomatoes, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and herbs, purple and green basil, chives, mint, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Next year i will be expanding my garden and growing more veggies and less herbs. Would like to grow some hot peppers of some sort.

Habanero's are good grilled and in a kabob I think
smile.gif
. But, I grew up on a farm liking horseradish and hot stuff to begin with
smile.gif

For the last 3 years my peppers get some blight and are poor producers at best if they produce at all. Next year I am not going to waste my time with them. Tomatoes are really the only plant I can get a
consistently decent harvest without predation or blight.

I have 36 pepper plants in the ground of various varieties, including four hots (Serrano, Cayenne, Poblano, and Tabasco), and three sweets (Red Beauty, King Arthur, and Pimento Elite). All were started from seed and grown organically. I make a great hot pepper sauce from the Serranos, and the rest are used in canned salsa or dried for chili powder.

Tom NJ

^Much of the Northeast has great soil for home gardens! I remember that from my early childhood in NJ. I haven't had such great luck here, but peppers did grow well when I tried.

I like to grow Tabasco and Cayenne which I bring in for the winter. I also like to grow jalapeño and Habanero's. Who doesn't enjoy eating bacon jalapeño's. I make Thermally Efficient Chili in the fall along with stuff peppers and salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back