Who Owns A Beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: horse123
My 2012 Impreza is slowly turning into a beater. At first I tried to keep the paint nice, parked away from people to stop it from getting dents. Then at some point you realize it's pointless on a daily driver and stop caring.

Yeah, I wouldn't call my Lexus a beater but I now park in a parking garage at home and work and recently took a nice scratch on the passenger side front door. I assume there is more of that to come. Meh. She runs great.

Here's my 1973 Mark IV. I think it qualifies
grin.gif

It's a project, but it runs.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Well, as I think about it, my wife would still ride in either of these.

Both are reasonably reliable. The Camry more so than the P5 as there have only been three repairs on the Camry in the 270k miles. We've replaced a bad axle, a bad starter and one bad coil.

That's it. Sure, wear items such as brakes, belts, fluids and filters. But only three repairs.

I drive 20-25k/year so it doesn't make sense to drive a newer car. I look for something with around 100k miles on it and maybe 7-8 years old and buy it in hopes of driving it out to about 250K miles.

I drove 310 miles for work yesterday. I just bank that mileage reimbursement at $0.575 or whatever it is now as my running costs are under $0.12/mile including buying the car. So that was around $150 in tax free money earned after my costs are factored in.

I figure I have two more years with the P5 unless something goes horribly wrong. It's starting to rust, so two or three years tops and then it will be parts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Let's see, a 2002 Camry with over 270k miles on it. Stepson drives it back and forth to a local college.

I drive a 2003 Protege5 which should hit 200k miles in the next 7 days.

Neither looks good. But everything works on both cars. Oh, ok, one of the LEDs in the CHMSL on the P5 is out. Drives me batty when I see it, but not enough to fix it or look for a replacement CHMSL.

Added the 4th repair to the Camry earlier this month. The drivers door handle broke. I thought about taking the rear door handle and moving it up front, but sprung the $30 for a black one. Nice contrast against the silver colored car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back