Mobil 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for the experts of motor oil: I have a 2015 Tundra with the small V8. I have been pondering about changing to Mobil 1 EP 0w-30. Would this not be an improvement over 0w-20? Would Toyota allow it while under warranty? I live in So. Texas and to say it is hot most of the year is an understatement. The truck gets 75% highway miles and a fair amount of towing a trailer and contents that weight about 3000 lb.
Do any of you have an opinion on changing from 0w-20 to 0x30? The 0w-20 just seems to me to be very very thin.
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

The ambient temperature of Texas is irrelevant at the engine operating temperature. Only comes into play at cold startup. Follow the temp compensated chart in the owners manual.

M1 0-20 AFE will handle Texas heat. Tens of thousands of all makes use 0-20 in your type of climate with no problem.

There is no 0w-30 EP; It is 0w-30 AFE

That being said, I use M1 5W-30 EP in my friends Tundra for 8K-9K short tripper miles.

That V8 spec'ed SJ rated 5w-30 (2002)

Last edited:
Let's see ... we have a Factory Recommended 0W-20 that works at a normal operating temperature inside the engine of 180-to-260F, yet when the engine is not running and the ambient Texas air is 100F, it's unsuitable?

Stay with 0W20. get Mobil1 0W20 EP or some other full synthetic oil.
What kind of an improvement? Yes 0W30 will create more pressure but because of more resistance it will create more heat.
Toyota usually knows what they doing, and they had TX in mind when they specd. that oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Stay with 0W20. get Mobil1 0W20 EP or some other full synthetic oil.
What kind of an improvement? Yes 0W30 will create more pressure but because of more resistance it will create more heat.
Toyota usually knows what they doing, and they had TX in mind when they specd. that oil.

This. Mobil 1 0W-20EP is mostly PAO, so you might consider that...

I have the same truck and motor. I've been running Mobil 1 0W20 EP for about the last 2 years. I've thought about going to 0W30 also but to say this is all confusing to me is an understatement.
Toyota specs 0W20 but then says you can use 5W20 but if you do you MUST switch back to 0W20 at next oil change. Then they mention in the manual you can use a heavier oil if conditions call for it (not in those words). What conditions? I've read on BITOG that lighter oils cool and lubricate better.
I'm keeping it simple and going by the speced oil. Just tried QSUD 0W20.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Does the same vehicle model/engine have a different spec in Australia or any other warm climate country?

Toyota in EU specs. heavier oils due to high speeds.
It is not uncommon for Toyota to spec. 5W40 in EU, and 0W20 in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: stcif
I have the same truck and motor. I've been running Mobil 1 0W20 EP for about the last 2 years. I've thought about going to 0W30 also but to say this is all confusing to me is an understatement.
Toyota specs 0W20 but then says you can use 5W20 but if you do you MUST switch back to 0W20 at next oil change. Then they mention in the manual you can use a heavier oil if conditions call for it (not in those words). What conditions? I've read on BITOG that lighter oils cool and lubricate better.

I would say stick to M1 0W20 EP.
As for 5W20, I think Toyota is trying to make it clear for customers what to use. 0W20 will have better cold start and that is when most of wear and tear happens to engine. They probably think that is big issue, so they want to make a point.

Last edited:
Maybe 0w30 would be a good idea if you do a lot of towing in very hot temperatures, whatever makes you feel better really, there is very little difference at operating temperature, and as temperature increases the difference is even smaller

I ram 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 in my 2010 and 2014 Tundra 4.6 with no issue. Nothing magical about the 1UR-FE engine and in some foreign markets, a 30wt oil is called out.

If you are super paranoid about warranty, then stick to the 20wt stuff.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
A question for the experts of motor oil: I have a 2015 Tundra with the small V8. I have been pondering about changing to Mobil 1 EP 0w-30. Would this not be an improvement over 0w-20? Would Toyota allow it while under warranty? I live in So. Texas and to say it is hot most of the year is an understatement. The truck gets 75% highway miles and a fair amount of towing a trailer and contents that weight about 3000 lb.
Do any of you have an opinion on changing from 0w-20 to 0x30? The 0w-20 just seems to me to be very very thin.
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

What does your owner's manual say? Our dad has a 2006 Tundra, and it calls for 5W-30. Toyota is now saying 0W-20 or 5W-20 is to be used for most of their new/newer vehicles. The reason I am asking what the owner's manual says is because I know Toyota included a section in the manuals about if the vehicle was going to be used for extended highway trips or towing was expected, a 5W-30 would offer better protection for these conditions.

Originally Posted By: stcif

The manual doesn't say what those conditions are? Toyota didn't spell out what conditions they are referring to?

Our dad had a Toyota rental vehicle a few years ago, his company paid for a rental car for him to use in travelling to their glass plants. He brought it home before he left on his trip, and we checked it out. I browsed through the owner's manual in the glove box out of curiosity.
I remember it saying if extended highway driving or towing was to be encountered, a 5W-30 would protect the engine better.

Last edited:
I would try a negative 5-16
smile.gif

What did Toyota do to the engine design over the years to allow a 20-grade oil?

If nothing - use a good 5w30.

If they added under-dome squirter jets, larger slipper on the skirts with moly pads, increased journal widths, changed oil pump/ mains volume - then maybe I would consider this 20grade rec more than just a CAFE search for the 0.3 mpg uptick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back