Mold & Moisture Resistant Drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal...I had to tear out the old drywall out of my bathroom because of mold and moisture rot. I planned on putting up Mold & Moisture Resistant Drywall but the thinnest I can find is 1/2". But I need 3/8"...so it looks like I'll be getting the 3/8 standard stuff. The question is: what should I apply to the drywall to make it mold & moisture resistant ?

Do you guys use the exhaust fan when the bath/ shower is on? This would help.

Not sure on products.

I wouldn't use regular drywall. I would use Hardibacker or Durock. They also have a greenboard drywall that is mold and mildew resistant.

Was this molded drywall in a tub/shower surround, or elsewhere? Did you tear ALL of it out or just one section? Why 3/8ths?

Need more information.....

The house was built in 1960 and had no ceiling fan. I can't use greenboard because it's to thick. I already replaced the shower walls....cement board..tile. The drywall is for the remaining walls where drywall is normally used.

Sounds like you need some ventilation. If walls had mold and mildew the new walls are going to follow.

You could use Kilz 2 which would help seal the drywall, then use a satin or semi gloss over the top that for the color of your choice.

Why can't you use 1/2" green board? Then prime it with Bullseye 123 and top coat with a good kitchen and bath paint. If 1/2" green board is out of the cards, as mentioned proper ventilation is a must. Then after the sheet rocking is done use a coat of 123 primer, and top coat it with 2 coats of kitchen and bath paint. Avoid oil primers and oil paints in a bathroom prone to mildew.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why can't you use 1/2" green board? Then prime it with Bullseye 123 and top coat with a good kitchen and bath paint. If 1/2" green board is out of the cards, as mentioned proper ventilation is a must. Then after the sheet rocking is done use a coat of 123 primer, and top coat it with 2 coats of kitchen and bath paint. Avoid oil primers and oil paints in a bathroom prone to mildew.

OP, can you use "shims" to bring the studs to the depth you need for the 1/2" green board?
also what Demarpaint said (he has 30+ years as a pro painter...)
i think they make either bathrooms fans with humidity sensor incorporated ($$) or switches with humidity sensor and timer incorporated...or you wire it to the bathroom light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back