Scion tC Radiator Fan troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

Hi All,

The past couple of days it's been in the mid 90's up here and I've noticed my temperature gauge seems to creep up while the car is idling for a long time in traffic.

I've noticed that my car has 2 radiator fans, one of them will be on when the AC is on and is spinning fine, the other one should turn on when the engine temperature is too hot. I noticed this one is struggling to spin. It spins slow enough I can still see the blades.

Any ideas? I was looking at fan motors. Could it possibly be electrical or a sensor?

That was resolved and it has been operating perfectly since then. The problem back then was the fan actually fell off of the shroud.

Unplug the fan that's spinning slowly and get out some spare wire or extra speaker wire and wire it to the battery and see how it does. If it spins nice and fast, the fan is probably good and there's an electrical problem leading to the fan. If it's still slow, replace it.

a fan should blow hard like a hair dryer sound. I had "tired" fans on the accord, they spun but not forcefully. replaced them and it was like a hurricane. got both on eBay and no problems for 4 yrs

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
a fan should blow hard like a hair dryer sound. I had "tired" fans on the accord, they spun but not forcefully. replaced them and it was like a hurricane. got both on eBay and no problems for 4 yrs

Many fans are variable speeds, not just on or off. One of my cars has two speed fans and they barely whisper on low speed the roar on high. When you have twin fans many times with one fan dead you may hardly notice it. Very platform specific...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back