Does Americastire sell tires from the DTD list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 of the Maxima tires are disintegrating, I was really hoping they'd become slicks. They are Fisk Classic made in 2011 week 40, with about 48k miles on them - junk.

I'm looking at affordable touring tires for SoCal weather. Unfortunately I don't see many tire deals (205/65-15), except for some Falken Sincera sn211 at Walmart. I understand that mounting them at Walmart is undesirable, and I'd like to get the road hazard warranty asociated with DTD/AT. Discounttiredirect carries said tires but Americastire does not.
Can I order the Falkens from AT if only DTD carries them? I also want them to price match Walmart's price ($53). I'd call but they are closed on Sundays.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
AT should be able to get any tire listed on DTD, or other places for that matter. I've frequently used the DTD no tax price for a price match at DT. Generally DTD does have a greater listing of tires than b&m DT/AT. So shouldn't be an issue getting the tire you desire AT, might just take a couple/few days to get in. I've done it that way several times.

But you need to go to nearest AT to get the price match on the WM price. I wouldn't depend on a phone conversation. Have all your information lined up and go to the store with it and speak to them face to face.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Looks like there are several to choose from at America's Tire from $49 to $131.

Would you say the Veento G-3 and Barum Brillantis 2 (in the same price range) are comparable to the Falken Sincera SN211 ?

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
AT should be able to get any tire listed on DTD, or other places for that matter. I've frequently used the DTD no tax price for a price match at DT. Generally DTD does have a greater listing of tires than b&m DT/AT. So shouldn't be an issue getting the tire you desire AT, might just take a couple/few days to get in. I've done it that way several times.

But you need to go to nearest AT to get the price match on the WM price. I wouldn't depend on a phone conversation. Have all your information lined up and go to the store with it and speak to them face to face.

Thanks, I hope AT will behave as you expect.

I've never had an issue with having tires mounted at Wal-Mart. I had a balance issue with Discount Tire due to their employees being overworked I'm guessing.
I would only run tires that are rated temperature A in hot California for safety sakes.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
..Thanks, I hope AT will behave as you expect.

I'm going on my experience, though from reading here quite sure I'm not alone. Really if it's WM that has the tire for the price match, only should be necessary to point them to the price there, and have the tires ordered. Just have your ducks lined up.

As noted, I've had them order tires several times when not an in stock tire.

Are you planning to avoid any tires that are made in China? I would.

Check out the Toyo Versado Noir and the Toyo Extensa, both all season tires in your size. The Versados on my Infiniti have been excellent. If you want decent tires at a lower price, check out the Kumho brand.

What exactly is a Fisk tire? Some Chinesium junk?

You might want to shop a mainstream brand - that might help with longevity. That said, a 2011 tire, five-ish years in SoCal with the horrible pollution and sun, might be part of the issue...

AT/DT isn't the only place that has some of their tires online-only. But they can probably order them for you, or at least you can have them shipped to AT. On the DTD FAQ page, it says installation at DT/AT is $16 for tires purchased from DTD.

For SoCal, I'd use the Vredestein Sportrac 5, which AT/DT/DTD doesn't carry, but they might install if brought from outside. These are grand touring summer tires, which is the perfect kind of tire for people that live in warm climates that don't need winter traction and don't need high performance. No need for all-season/no-season tires in SoCal
smile.gif

There's also the Accelera Eco Plush.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What exactly is a Fisk tire? Some Chinesium junk?

Fisk is a historic brand name owned and resurrected by Uniroyal/Michelin exclusively for Discount Tire Direct. They are manufactured in Uniroyal/Goodrich plants in the United States.

Discount Tire retail stores can special order just about any tire from the major brands. They aren't limited by what's shown on their website.

I personally had them order Cooper CS5 tires that aren't listed on the normal DT website.

Since America's Tire is a branch of the same chain and appears pretty much identical to DT, then I suspect they too will be able to order just about any tire you'd want to buy.

AT will order any brand and model on their list. I did order 3-4 sets the last 8-10 years, even with model that is listed as "Not available in Orange County, please contact your local store".

But they will not order a brand that isn't on their list, one example: they will not order any Sumitomo tire, the local store manager said they don't carry that brand.

So to update, Monday morning I walked into TA and showed the sales guy a printout from Walmart: Can you you get me this tire at this price? Yes. They had to get them from an Ohio location and I had them installed as soon as they arrived - yesterday.

Their Lake Forest location had a number of kids working the tires, and I noticed they did not install new valves, or wipe the rim (could have been clean). On one of the wheels they added 98g of weights in about the same spot on the outside; they could have rotated the tire on the rim - too much work I guess for them. They did find the time to smear the outside of the tires with some shiner.

Now to stir the pot (in case anyone is still reading) the Fisk (S-rated, 1 poly, 2 steel plies on the thread) in the original post were made in the USA and were installed 4 years ago. The other 2 tires were some BFG touring (V-rated with an extra nylon ply) manufactured in the first week on 2006 in Korea (I don't feel like digging for the installation date) that had the expected dry rot and some cuts, but at least were not disintegrating.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
So to update, Monday morning I walked into TA and showed the sales guy a printout from Walmart: Can you you get me this tire at this price? Yes. They had to get them from an Ohio location and I had them installed as soon as they arrived - yesterday.

Their Lake Forest location had a number of kids working the tires, and I noticed they did not install new valves, or wipe the rim (could have been clean). On one of the wheels they added 98g of weights in about the same spot on the outside; they could have rotated the tire on the rim - too much work I guess for them. They did find the time to smear the outside of the tires with some shiner.

Now to stir the pot (in case anyone is still reading) the Fisk (S-rated, 1 poly, 2 steel plies on the thread) in the original post were made in the USA and were installed 4 years ago. The other 2 tires were some BFG touring (V-rated with an extra nylon ply) manufactured in the first week on 2006 in Korea (I don't feel like digging for the installation date) that had the expected dry rot and some cuts, but at least were not disintegrating.

The store I go to in Lake Forest is on Aspen street.

I had several sets installed there. They did install new valves, the balance weight was 1 oz max on few tires others were less than 3/4 oz. No, they did wipe off the rim after install new tires, why they didn't do it I don't know and before this location I was at Costa Mesa location and they didn't wipe clean the wheels either.

The main thing is they do price matching, and with fast balance/rotation(with appointment) there is no reason to go to Walmart or elsewhere for tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back