Do you reuse ring gear bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody reuse ring gear bolts? I plan on attempting a DIY carrier swap in my truck and about the last aspect I'm still working on deciding is what to do about the ring gear. I've got a couple tricks for the actual r&r of the ring gear but it seems there is much back and forth over reusing the bolts.

Most people agree they "should" be replaced but it seems lots of people have had no issues reusing them. Thats making the assumption they come out in fine shape and are thoroughly cleaned prior to reinstall with red threadlocker.

FWIW this is a Ford 9.75 rear end.

Depends on what's in front of it. Big engine or seriously built engine - new bolts. 4x4 with low range transfer case - new bolts.

Stock older car or truck with worn OEM engine, re-use bolts and carry on
smile.gif

Also depends on who's rear end we are talking about. Ford 9.75 is stout to begin with. They don't blow up often. I'd prolly re-use, but that's just me
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Yup! I put an automatic locker in my front differential - reused the ring gear bolts. Interestingly enough, one of them was a bit hard to get out. Seems that someone started to stretch it from the factroy. It's a junkyard dana 30 to replace the one I blew up

Not sure on the 9.75 ford if they're one time use or not. I'd call the dealer or look in the service manual for details. Some Toyota ones are reusable, some of the newer torsen diff type ones aren't reusable.

I don't like to reuse. The new Ford ring and pinions come with new bolts. ARP makes bolts for a bunch of applications, worth the entry fee IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back