Wonder if anyone with NASCAR has noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 70% of the seats at Indianapolis, for the Brickyard 400, are EMPTY?

Hello... NASCAR. Hello?

And then the race is broadcast on a backwater cable channel like NBCSN.

I live just a couple miles north of the track, where the jets circle overhead for the flyover. When they came over today all my neighbors came outside and we asking what was happening, lol. For the 500 you have to plan alternate ways to get around the neighborhood due to race traffic, for the 400 no one even knows anything is happening.

I was just going to start a thread on that, but you beat me to it! It was the first thing I noticed when I tuned in. The stands between the short chute between turns 3 and 4 were completely EMPTY! The Fontana Indy Car race last year was almost as bad. But this is unbelievable. Even down the front straight, most all of the lower seats, (some of the best in the house), were almost empty. And this is NASCAR's premier race next to the Daytona 500.

I think NASCAR is dying on the vine. And they just spent millions on that whole "Daytona Rising" project. I can remember when you had to purchase your tickets well in advance, to have any hope of getting a ticket. Now they can't sell them discounted. This economy, along with a loss in interest, has more than taken it's toll. People's spendable income is all spent... And then some.

When a driver can miss 11 races, and is still crowned champion at the end of the season, then something is just not right. Nascar special exemption is just more B..S.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
When a driver can miss 11 races, and is still crowned champion at the end of the season, then something is just not right. Nascar special exemption is just more B..S.

I completely agree. Remember, most all family run corporations die in the third generation. NASCAR is now on it's third. Bill France Jr.'s kids are now heavily involved.

Believe me, they notice. Ticket prices are fairly high. Last year I got tickets to the IndyCar race at Fontana in the Speedway Club, section high in the stands under the luxury boxes in the shade, for $80 each. Same tickets to the Cup race I had were around $400 each. Costs are up on teams as well. The crew hard cards were $800 a season, now they are $2500 for each crew member.

I would have thought there would be a bump in attendance this year being Smoke's last 400 and Jeff Gordon being a super sub for Dale Jr.

NASCAR at Indy has fallen off greatly after the tire debacle in 2008 and in combination with the economic difficulty at the same time.
There have been races this year that have had pretty good attendance like Fontana, Las Vegas and Pocono. I will say that Martinsville seemed off a bit this year. Richmond's day race seemed to be ok and compared to Bristol it looked great actually. Worst attended races in the past 8 years have been Indy, Dover and Charlotte. So, this is no real surprise at Indianapolis. Other tracks have had some loss of attendance as well. But some have maintained rather well too.

There really has been a correction in terms of attendance at races. It's just been more severe for some places than others. Even after Charlotte got rid of 60k seats they still had a good number if empty seats this year. Good, bad , or indifferent the economic circumstance continues to have an effect upon people. For just 2 people going to a race say at Richmond it can be a $800 to $1000 dollar affair. 2 nights at $200 a night, $100 a ticket and food plus gas depending upon how far you have to get there can easily push to $800-$1000 dollars. That's a fair amount of money for a lot of people out here actually. And that's just 2 people. For a family of four that would obviously be more.

One thing I gave wondered is if camping on site has been stopped at some tracks. I know for a fact Dover had large camping land across Rte 1. IF that has been stopped then it would explain why Dover's attendance has dropped off so greatly. If this has happened elsewhere then it could explain why other tracks have had similar results. Being able to camp out saves A LOT of money for people. If this was stopped then many people don't care to pay $200 for a room that was just $89 three nights earlier. I know at Dover there were people that had come there for years and years who had camped out there. Again, if the land was sold off then that was a foolish decision. I also wonder if the local hotels and motels have had an influence on track owners in getting them to not allow camping at their tracks. So as to force people to go to their hotels and motels. I just wonder about that. Not saying that it has happened that way. I am just suspicious that it possibly could have.

Perhaps NASCAR should permit the boys to buildsome real road racing cars with brakes and tires big enough for the weight of the vehicles. Then we might see some innovation in suspension design and "low speed aero". It might also bring in some talented drivers who can turn BOTH ways.

Well, better for us fans who are still into NASCAR. Will be attending more out of town races for the 2017 season. We'll just walk up to the ticket booth and say "two please" pick our seats and go right in. Many tracks we want to see.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Only F1 and NHRA racing for me.

If Bernie saw stands that empty, he'd be exceedingly unhappy.
wink.gif

I think most of us miss the "good old days" of racing in general. I know I still miss the fact that NHRA went to 1000 feet versus 1320.

at the german motogp they raced in the rain

2 wheels

the windshield does not protect your helmet

no wipers on the helmets

1:44 laps times
yet nascar wont race in the rain and yet motorcycles do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back