Toyota 5w20, 1996 Civic 1.6L UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking for some time, not posting but still enjoying this site!

Decided to finally get a UOA on one of my cars, a 1996 Honda Civic, 200k miles. Would like to get everyone's opinion on the results I just got back from Blackstone.. I'm thinking it looks good. But wondering about that Lead number, averages are 4, I'm at 5, no big deal? Or am I over thinking it about changing from 5w20 to 5w30?

Last edited:
@Falken.. sorry to disappoint ya! lol..

and @tig1, oh wow, thank you.. parts per MILLION.. in other words the 5w20 is doing fine! That's awesome to hear, yeah I just couldn't take it anymore. Always reading about UOA's here on this forum I got that itch! I had to get a test done! Now to find out at this age it's looking good, is encouraging!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
Allow me to tell you..you could easily run 10K+ miles on this oil.

Really, so based on the TBN, it could go 10k, that's awesome, thanks for letting me know!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Not a lot of moly in that oil. This must be the bottled syn-blend I take it?

Yeah it's bottled Toyota 5w20 but I didn't know that it was a syn-blend, I always thought that the only syn Toyota had was the 0w20. And you're right hardly any moly in it at all. Looks like they're using Titanium? I'd love for someone to tell me where the additive package is in this lab result. I know Toyota changed the "recipe" with the SN formulation.

Syn blend for your Civic 1.6L ..... i won't hesitate at 5000 to 7000 mi OCI for now.
10000 mi OCI? Shouldn't be ruled out either.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: researcher
Allow me to tell you..you could easily run 10K+ miles on this oil.

Really, so based on the TBN, it could go 10k, that's awesome, thanks for letting me know!

TBN is almost never an issue. Just make sure you keep the level up near the upper line through the oil change interval.

TBN is almost never an issue. Just make sure you keep the level up near the upper line through the oil change interval.

Thanks for the info, Al. I always check the oil level on a regular interval. Usually every week. And it never consumes any oil, I have been very fortunate in that sense. But yeah I still am in the habit of checking it.

UPDATE: Instead of starting a new thread/post I thought I would just add to my original post.

As you can see, the Toyota oil seemed to be doing "ok" for wear. But I did not like how quickly it continued to thin out. And this civic engine has always been easy on oil! If you look, there was a time that the viscosity was 9.0 at about 1300+ miles. I know a lot of factors play into shearing but I thought that it began to shear quickly above 1300 miles according to the results.

I've also heard that this Civic engine likes moly, but Mobil (supplier to Toyota brand) switched to Titanium instead of Moly.

My fuel economy hasn't been good compared to where it should be. When the viscosity was at 9.0 my mpg's were higher! As it sheared down my mpg's went down with it.

I did a lot of research on this forum (thanks to everyone's data!) and I chose to try Castrol GTX 5w20, it's a very thick 5w20. And it has Moly!!

Even Blackstone commented that it looked like a thin 5w30. I know most will say to use a 5w30 because that's what it was spec'd for back in 96. But, the problem with that is. 5w30 was used and the engine began to have piston slap issues. After it was rebuilt, 5w20 was used. Since that time, no piston slap. It could be coincidental but I wasn't wanting to find out the hard way!

So I chose an oil that I thought was the best of both worlds, a thicker 5w20/thinner 5w30. I also didn't want to try a synthetic at this point, baby steps. Can't change too many variables right now.

Right now the mpg's have increased for this engine by 5.4 mpg compared to the oil oil, but I'll see if that's stable over the oil change interval.

Here's the current UOA:

Yeah, because you're diluting this engine hard. Consider a 0W20 M1EP. Your bearing have taken hits in the past. Could be a variety of issues, do you have a scanner at home?

Originally Posted By: danielLD
Yeah, because you're diluting this engine hard. Consider a 0W20 M1EP. Your bearing have taken hits in the past. Could be a variety of issues, do you have a scanner at home?

Yes I have an obd2 scanner, what did you want to know?

Even using the toyota branded oil (mobil supplies it) in other cars it had sheared/thinned out quickly. I have since changed the oil in the Civic to Castrol GTX conventional 5w20, which had a completely different additive package, plus we'll see if it hold it's viscosity. So far the fuel economy has jumped up 5.4mpg!

But sad to know the bearings took that hit, wish I knew back then what I know now! It's probably not catastrophic failure, but no wear would be the goal.

The 5w-20 formulation looks nothing like the 0w-20 one. Is Mobil changing the specs? TGMO used to have gobs of moly. Now it's zero moly and titanium. You could run Castrol Edge for a cheaper price for what this is giving us.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The 5w-20 formulation looks nothing like the 0w-20 one. Is Mobil changing the specs? TGMO used to have gobs of moly. Now it's zero moly and titanium. You could run Castrol Edge for a cheaper price for what this is giving us.

You're exactly right, it used to look like the 0w20 Toyota formulation, moly instad of titanium. But Mobil has also been changing/changed over to Titanium for many of it's oils. I thought things would stay the same but nope, they had to mess with it.

And it's not just the titanium (cheaper than moly but serves similar purpose of anti-wear) that's the problem. It was that it sheared/thinned out so quickly! Ridiculous. And the civic engine is KNOWN to be easy on oil!

I agree about changing to something else, it's why I have changed to Castrol GTX, I wasn't ready to go full synthetic on a car this old. The oil reports show 7700+ miles, but that's because I changed the speedometer. The engine really has much more on it, about 80k.

I'm also changing my scion tc (2az-fe) engine over from Toyota 5w30 to something else, haven't decided if I'm going with castrol gtx ultraclean or go to edge (5w30 for both).

And yeah mobil as far as I'm concerned won't be going back into these engines any time soon! They really let me know with how fast they thinned out, and yes even for the tC the 5w30 thinned out quickly too!

I know there will be a few people here who will be surely disappointed if a analysis shows the 0w-20 losing the moly. That has been the selling point of TGMO. We will have to watch the uoa's here for any changes.

The new Quadnuclear moly is so effective that you don't have to put ANY in.

As long as there's a bottle sitting on the desk of the Toyota engineer who wrote the formula, it will provide superior wear protection under all circumstances, everywhere at the same time.

TGMO...it's what's NOT inside that makes it so special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back