killing weeds without poisoning well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Glyphosate is NOT safe. Thanks for questioning that. I tend to use the pressure washer method or just plain old, labour/time soaking weed pulling. These pesticides have helped us become more and more lazy, looking for a quick way. Good luck!
smile.gif

When used properly, glyphosate is safe. It's less toxic (measured in LD50) than table salt and the acetic acid in vinegar. Internet pseudoscience woo woo pages have demonized it, but fail to cite sources for their claims or understand dosage.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Roundup is pond friendly. 2 4-D not so much, but it leaves grass behind.

Wait, I thought they outlawed 2-4-D years ago?

2 4-D, (weed b gone) Just grew up calling it that.

I'd use the boiling water. If you have one of those propane burners like you'd use to fry a turkey, put it nearby and boil the water with that.

Salt would work too, and have a more lasting effect.

I think you'd have to have a jungle in your driveway to put your well at risk with Roundup. Might kill off some bees inadvertently, but not yourself.

if I had a well, the only chemical I would use nearby,is vinegar. burning is the best way.

there are already differing opinions on roundup use here.safe or not, the above options are better. your brother believes that it's safe. he must be in your will.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Road salt will kill most plants for at least a year.
Oddly enough Poppies like them, as do some types of Florida saw grass, but they will do a real good job on weeds and unwanted grass.

Try to avoid use over any steel drainage pipes for obviuos reasons.

Salt was going to be my suggestion also. Salt WILL kill it, and have zero (or nearly zero) other impact on the environment. And there will be no question about your well.

Last edited:
Still don't know the specs on the well in question and that has to be the starting point...

If it's a modern well sealed down 50 ft,some chemical treatments will be OK. If it's an ancient depression era well either not sealed or only sealed 10 ft, I'd lean other directions. What depth is the pump set at and what is the local ground water depth? Do you have the well log? Did it go through any impermeable layers?

What you don't want is any ground sterilizer. They tend to remain for long periods and kill all the good stuff in soil like mycorrhiza that do the work of allowing roots to interface with mineral soil. All soils are symbiotic systems. Disrupt one element and the soil will be less effective. Adding salt can do that as salinity needs to be in balance too...

The other thing to consider is whether there are any trees or nearby ornamental shrubs you want to keep? Their roots likely extend under the driveway too ... Let's get all the factors in play here before we go off on assumptions ...

Last edited:
Herbicide is for plants - I live in a farming area and where the county makes heavy use of Roundup for drainage.
My gallon a month I use makes me lazy ? Or maybe since I have lots of skin cancer I like short periods in the sun.

There you go... Public money spent dispersing chemical plant treatments that are in the upland drainage system that will eventually feed all the wells within a given radius, and someone worries about a few diluted ounces on a driveway...
smirk.gif

I live next to a 100 acre farm field 40 feet from my sole water well, they change each year from soybeans to feed corn and with no till they "Burn Down" the entire field with 100's of gallons of weedkiller of some sort each year,before they plant crops, should i be concerned?

Round Up ready GMO foods are saturated with Round Up and farmers use Round up to dry crops to speed up harvest. The consumers do not seem to care about eating Round up.

Yes that kind of worries me................ Hence the reason I'm asking questions.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Round Up ready GMO foods are saturated with Round Up and farmers use Round up to dry crops to speed up harvest. The consumers do not seem to care about eating Round up.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Still don't know the specs on the well in question and that has to be the starting point...

If it's a modern well sealed down 50 ft,some chemical treatments will be OK. If it's an ancient depression era well either not sealed or only sealed 10 ft, I'd lean other directions. What depth is the pump set at and what is the local ground water depth? Do you have the well log? Did it go through any impermeable layers?

What you don't want is any ground sterilizer. They tend to remain for long periods and kill all the good stuff in soil like mycorrhiza that do the work of allowing roots to interface with mineral soil. All soils are symbiotic systems. Disrupt one element and the soil will be less effective. Adding salt can do that as salinity needs to be in balance too...

The other thing to consider is whether there are any trees or nearby ornamental shrubs you want to keep? Their roots likely extend under the driveway too ... Let's get all the factors in play here before we go off on assumptions ...

This. Your local water table may consist of many square miles. Unless you can control all of your neighbors' spraying a couple gallons of sprayhing on your land is like...I said... "Tempest in a teacup"

The best thing you can do is drink known safe water rather than depend on the local aquifer. We are surrounded by farmland...If I had a nickel for every gallon of spray used in the couple square miles around me...I would buy this board and kick off the trolls.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back