Buick 3800 - "Von Voyage" oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would stick to the Maxlife if it helped reduce consumption. Change the valve cover gaskets, and put a couple extra quarts in the trunk.
Advise him that Maine is very cold in the winter, and many areas sparsely populated. He needs to be responsible and check his oil every 500 miles or he may be walking long distances in very cold temperatures.

If your BIL can't be bothered to check his oil even as infrequently as every 2-3k miles, then there's not much you can do, except what you're already planning on doing, which may or may not help at all.

WORSE, get him to find a buddy where he's going to check his oil and add a quart every so often. Or, go to a shop to have it added (for a cost)

WORSE to WORST, have him add a quart himself at the 3k miles point. It will likely need that much, and even if it doesn't, it will have consumed/leaked some and won't be too over-full. This is assuming that he'd be more willing to simply add oil or have someone add oil vice checking and adding, if necessary (doesn't sound likely)

WORSTEST, he'll lost his motor and possibly learn a lesson. It's an older car, so he may not care, even if its demise was 100% preventable.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
What's a BIF? Modern slang acronym dictionary says either Basis in Fact, Before I Forget or Butt in Front, none of which seem to fit your usage. Explain please?

For what it's worth, I own 3 Buicks with the trusty 3800. I've had the pan off and on my level workbench and purposefully put 4.5 measured quarts in it, which came barely to the bottom of the crank baffle. Since doing this, I purposefully pour 5 whole quarts in when I change oil. (filter holds 1/2 quart). Being 1/2 quart overfill hurts NOTHING in this engine, and it's more convenient not to have to measure the last 1/2 quart I add.

But I also second the poster who says to threaten your friend? with not servicing his vehicle anymore if he can't at least add a quart when necessary. Perhaps blowing an engine might be a good thing for him in the long run; it might change his attitude. Maybe he can sit on the side of the road for a few hours and think about his future options.

Edit: I know Nick 1994 means well, but a full quart overfill WILL come over the crankshaft baffle and make a "cloud" of oil around the crank in this motor. I've measured.

You've measured what? The distance from full oil level to the crank or above the baffles? Will a quart over full be at that level or are you concerned about cornering and sloshing above the baffles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think he is old enough to take care of his own stuff.

I agree. I looked at friend of mines brother 3800 car that was overheating. He's about the same age. The thermostat was stuck. But he had to drive it anyways because he didn't care. I offered to replace it on the spot but everyone wanted it to go to a shop.

It went to the junkyard, he owned it for about a month and owes money to a buy here pay here now.

Fun times.
lol.gif

Put a bottle of Maxlife in the trunk and ask him to order it when he goes to the Walmart service center. Tell him to change the oil before the oil light illuminates.

Do the slimy used car seller trick. Fill it with Extend or STP. Thicker the better. It will work fine until the first frost. Explain this to your BIL before he departs. He won't remember conversation until it happens. Then tell him the 5w30 is in the trunk with a cheap filter. sitting in the a drain bucket
grin2.gif

Does that version of the 3800 have a PCV valve? If so, I'm sure the one in it is due for replacement.

I dealt with a Chrysler 2.4 that used oil. Castrol 0w40 slowed consumption, but didn't solve it. Since it is a 0wXX oil, it would work well in cold climates.

I doubt you can get him to check oil levels.

Something has to happen to change his thinking perhapse this buick will have to die to get the point across.
My brother had a 89 mazda mx 6. It used a quart every 1000 or so.
The oil would get low and the engine would clatter like a dryer with a few marbles in it. I would then say "when was the last time you checked that" It was allways "not that long ago" i would say "oh really its clicking again" he would say "it allways sounds like that" we would put oil in usually atleast a quart and the noise would mostly go away. finally after a few oil changes and getting the Engine to be near silent and no Abnormal ticks. (I flushed using atf) He finally started to listen. The mazda still ran when he donated it. I then got him a 98 Buick century with 90k miles. A mechanics special. 1500 bucks then sunk a grand in it. 500 parts 500 for my labor. Rear wheel cylinders, water pump, ALL fluids flushed, lower intake gaskets, all filters, all lights replaced in rear, full detail, I fixed a ton of other small things. The car was perfect. it was like 2004. He got a loan on it to establish credit he got 2500 for the loan. The bank said they would have given him 7200 he didnt need 7200 or want that much. He just sold it last fall for 1000 dollars. He learned alot from the Mazda and actually took care of the buick. His fleet now consist of a 2015 prius and a 2016 prius c for him and his wife. Cant say that for his type of driving a prius makes any logical sense but that is his problem.
My point help him, teach him, show him, it may take a while but he might learn. I am 35 now and certainly know less than when i was 22.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think he is old enough to take care of his own stuff.

Exactly. Problem is he is a millenial who is used to someone doing things for him.

Isn't this engine prone to intake gasket leaks? Might be consuming it that way as well and that isn't a good thing. Major sludge build up inside over time.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Top up every 500 miles and just change the filter every 3000 miles and forget about dropping the oil.

In this manner there will be 2.5 quarts of fresh oil every 3000 miles based 1 qt every 1500 miles and 0.5 quarts for the filter.

Do it yourself.

I still reckon this maybe the way to go.

To add: It is his problem. You sound like a good guy for wanting to help him but guys like this will never learn. Hopefully he will if his engine seizes in the middle of a Maine winter.

Does this guy suffer some sort of mental impairment?
Any unimpaired adult who can't learn that he needs to check engine oil level now and then is no better than irresponsible and is undeserving of any help.
Show him how to check the oil level and how to add oil.
After that, it's up to him.
If he ends up in New England with no transportation and having to take the Hound home, he'll have learned a costly lesson.
Show him what to do and how to do it.
After that, it's in his hands and not His whether he's going on a mission from on high or not.
The oil level in this car will not be maintained by Him who gave us the wit to build these marvelous personal transportation devices that serve us so well with so little care.
We need to take responsibility for taking care of the tools we have. To do otherwise is truly a sin when we have people throughout this world for whom owning and running an old Buick is no more than a fantasy. Enough food to eat is all they seek.
Maybe explain it to him in those terms?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Any unimpaired adult who can't learn that he needs to check engine oil level now and then is no better than irresponsible and is undeserving of any help.
If he ends up in New England with no transportation and having to take the Hound home, he'll have learned a costly lesson.
After that, it's in his hands and not His whether he's going on a mission from on high or not.
The oil level in this car will not be maintained by Him who gave us the wit to build these marvelous personal transportation devices that serve us so well with so little care.
We need to take responsibility for taking care of the tools we have. To do otherwise is truly a sin when we have people throughout this world for whom owning and running an old Buick is no more than a fantasy. Enough food to eat is all they seek.

^^Best Advice^^

It's Bon Voyage. Anyway, don't stress yourself about another grown man's vehicle maintenance. It's not your problem and there are more important things to worry about in life.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Ditto that!

If he refuses to pay attention, I ain't gonna be the one that drives up there to fix it or give him a credit card number to pay the repair bill. Consumption has dropped even further - I'm going change it and rotate the tires right before he leaves, stress he keep MaxLife in it, change it every 3,000, and send a few quarts of the fluids he'll need. I feel any less is unkind, but any more is irresponsible. If he burns up a solid car I'll have good reason to be a jerk any time in the future he tries to act like he has any place to talk about his car or anybody else's.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back