Slider Pin Bore

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know many of us will clean up or replace the slider pins when we do a brake job, but what do you, if anything, to the slider pin bore on the caliper?

If I had to clean-up the Slider Pin Bore, I would prefer using a 6-flute Reamer.
You would get a nice round hole.
-----------------------------------------
Have you ever used a 2-flute drill on sheet-metal ? / The hole has a triangle shape (3 sided).

The Pins, I would clean up on Wire-Wheel and file if needed.
Depending on condition of pins, replace if questionable.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
If I had to clean-up the Slider Pin Bore, I would prefer using a 6-flute Reamer.
You would get a nice round hole.
-----------------------------------------
Have you ever used a 2-flute drill on sheet-metal ? / The hole has a triangle shape (3 sided).

The Pins, I would clean up on Wire-Wheel and file if needed.
Depending on condition of pins, replace if questionable.

I usually just replace pins that look questionable. They are not that expensive when I buy online. When I buy pads online I usually add a set of pins to the order if I don't already have a spare set.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Depends on the condition. If it's real rusty, I have run some sand paper through it to clean out the rust.

Do you rinse out the bore after with brake cleaner or something similar? Or just blow it out?

I use a drill bit and then turn it backwards with my hand. If it's really rusty then I will use a pliers or vise grips to turn the bit.

If the pin is really bad I replace them but usually just a bit of sand paper on the pins to clean them up.

For the ones that use a bolt/pin and have a boot I use a Q-tip to clean out most of the old grease and repack. For the others I use a stainless steel bore brush from my gun cleaning kit and then spray a few coats of solid film moly to keep things sliding until the next break job. However, being in the southwest brakes and suspension have it easy compared to just about anywhere else.

I use a drill bit to remove the old grease and dirt/rust, by hand that is.. Then blow out the remaing dust. Wire brush/rag on the pins. Regrease. All assuming there wasn't any damage to the boots.

+5 on the drill bit. I think most of the issues are dry grease, not rust. Also remember some of these bores have rubber inserts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
+5 on the drill bit. I think most of the issues are dry grease, not rust. Also remember some of these bores have rubber inserts.

But if the pin is rusty wouldn't the bore also have some rust?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Also remember some of these bores have rubber inserts.

Like my BMW which also specifies using no grease on the pins. Always seemed weird to me but it works okay.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Depends on the condition. If it's real rusty, I have run some sand paper through it to clean out the rust.

Don't like sandpaper much. It releases abrasive particles that could be damaging, and its not self-forming.

For rust cleanup I like aluminium. For this application, you can form an aluminium foil plug that'll fit the bore. Then I work it in the bore with two chopsticks. Wipe clean with a cord wetted with solvent, pull-through stylee, then repeat with grease which'll self-generate anti-seize.

With more severe corrosion I pre-scrape with a piece of aluminium tube (arrow shaft or TV aerial). Could probably also twist a strip of beer can into a bore-fitting spiral but I havn't tried that.

http://bangernomics.editboard.com/t667-coke-can-for-brake-disks

I've thought of wrapping PTFE tape around the length of the pins, but wasn't sure it wouldn't "bunch up" and interfere with free movement, so I've only put it on the threaded portion so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back