Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all think of the current model Golf R? I get it, it's a VW, it's probably not going to be problem free for 200,000 miles like a Lexus would, but I think the fun of the Golf can be traded off for some reliability.

I don't really have the money to buy one, I just wonder what people think of it. I drove a 2008 Golf R32 which had less power than this and of course it's older so it has fewer features. You can also get DCC/navigation for about $1000 and a (in my opinion) really nice dual clutch transmission for another $1100.

It's AWD, almost 300hp, easily puts out 350+ with a goAPR tune. If the interior was anything like the 2008 MKV I drove, it's really nice too.

Price $40,000 nice and fully optioned out.

Would you drive it?

Last edited:
Would I drive it? absolutely. Buy one? not sure. In that price range there are so many amazing choices. The latest contender, the Focus RS, is really getting some buzz for being a well sorted, comfortable, and capable car for the class. You also have Subi STI (probably no where near as comfy), and even a slightly used BMW or Mercedes CLA AMG.

I test drove the model before the uppdate, maybe the 2012? it made less power than the current variant, and had the traction control that could not be fully disabled (not a deal breaker for me, a tune will do it). I liked it alot, but the price to performance then was hard to justify.

The Golf .:R is a total monster! The MK7 is worlds ahead of its competition and previous generations in comfort, styling, and construction.

That said, it's not for me. I like my cars either big or small; a smallish hatchback offers no benefit to me.

Would I drive it? Yes; own, no. My experiences with Euro's are not positive, especially in resale value, reliability and cost to own.

Sure, you can buy it and get rid of it right before the warranty ends, that'd be what I do, but I know alot of people wouldn't. VW isn't as bad, but like Audi, bmw, porsche, their values plummet after the warranty runs out. Hense why you can get a $100k 7 series that's 6 years old with 70k miles in my area for $40k.

All in all, if you can afford it, and you love it; do it. If your in the air, my opinion is look else where. [censored], you don't need the internet to tell you what you like and don't like. I'm ordering a '17 wrx. Is it perfect, [censored] no. But do I love it? [censored] yes. The ride kinda sucks, and im still kinda leary about the new fa20, but the car is a blast to drive, and its my car, so I want to be happy; which is what you should do to.

If I had $40k to spend it would either be a Mustang GT Premium, Camaro SS, or Scat Pack Challenger or a truck. These small 4 cylinder cars like the WRX STi, Focus RS, and Golf R don't really appeal to me for the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Would I drive it? absolutely. Buy one? not sure. In that price range there are so many amazing choices.

Agreed. A slightly used 335i or even 235i would be worth a consideration.

Then there is the new 325hp/380lb-ft AWD Fusion Sport for around mid $30K, alas, the Golf R will most likely out-handle it. But I do like sleeper sedans.

Would I drive it? absolutely. Buy one? not sure. In that price range there are so many amazing choices. The latest contender, the Focus RS, is really getting some buzz for being a well sorted, comfortable, and capable car for the class. You also have Subi STI (probably no where near as comfy), and even a slightly used BMW or Mercedes CLA AMG.

I test drove the model before the uppdate, maybe the 2012? it made less power than the current variant, and had the traction control that could not be fully disabled (not a deal breaker for me, a tune will do it). I liked it alot, but the price to performance then was hard to justify.

The way I see it the Focus RS and to some extent the STI make better track cars for people who frequent those events, rather than a comfortable practical daily driver. Is there really anything wrong with DDing them? Absolutely not. It's just 99% of track-designed cars I would never DD, the Z28 camaro is/was a great example of a monster track car that would be [censored] to drive to work or the store frequently. The VW includes some more luxury features to make it a track fiend and a more comfortable DD

Last edited:
If your a VW enthusiast the Golf R is the way to go.
For the $$$ it can buy a lot of car and there are lots of options to compete.
The R is a beauty though and Like I said, if u dig VW's it's the top dog.

Originally Posted By: horse123
What do you all think of the current model Golf R? I get it, it's a VW, it's probably not going to be problem free for 200,000 miles like a Lexus would, but I think the fun of the Golf can be traded off for some reliability.

I don't really have the money to buy one, I just wonder what people think of it. I drove a 2008 Golf R32 which had less power than this and of course it's older so it has fewer features. You can also get DCC/navigation for about $1000 and a (in my opinion) really nice dual clutch transmission for another $1100.

It's AWD, almost 300hp, easily puts out 350+ with a goAPR tune. If the interior was anything like the 2008 MKV I drove, it's really nice too.

Price $40,000 nice and fully optioned out.

Would you drive it?

Unless you are an absolute hardcore VW enthusiast, I don't see the point. You will be the slowest $40K "performance" car out-there. Drive it, sure... for about an hour but would not even consider it as a purchase.

I personally did not like the MKVII GTI. I did not like the Jetta 1.8T Sport. I did not think either was all that "civilized" as a lot claim. It is better than some plastic-fantastic low-end hatchbacks, but at nearly $40K you are looking at a completely different level of expectations. My base Hyundai rode better that both VW options and the R will be worse than those. If I had $40K around, would go find the BMW M235i and call it a day. Heck, the Audi S3 (SAME CAR WITH MORE KIT) is right at $42K. Then again, $40K can get a good used Porsche or S5...

The only upside to that car is for VW people to tell other VW people that they spent $40K on a Golf and did not get 4 rings out of it.

I liked the Golf R, but not enough to pick it over an STI or the car I eventually bought(a CPO M235i). The fact that the local VW dealers have sketchy service departments make it hard for me to consider any VW...

Originally Posted By: horse123
the Z28 camaro is/was a great example of a monster track car that would be [censored] to drive to work or the store frequently.

Except for the in-town fuel economy, and bad outward vision greenhouse (IF that bothers you), there is NO reason why either a 5th gen Z28, or a 6th gen 1LE (or Z28 if they ever release one) cannot be daily driven with comfort.
31.gif

Now, if you are complaining about the pain of a real, clutched, manually shifted only gearbox vs. an SMG which can be left in fully auto mode during 2 hour stop and go traffic jams, then YES, it is not as "daily driveable".

H**L, I drove mine for the past 17 years, commuting every day to work (up to 30 miles each way WITH bad traffic at times, but no "discomfort", or suffering save for some extra clutch wear), raised two kids in it from car seats to teens, BOTH of whom played hockey, (and one was a goalie, no less) and I was able top fit BOTH of them with ALL of their gear at the same time in the 4th gen.
All the while turning in mid 12 second time slips, while getting > 30 mpg on the highway, and sticking right with your fantabulous Euro 'driving machines' in the 'twisties'.
smile.gif

For $40k i would not think about buying this car. While i love the orginal R32 mk4, drove like 12 out of the 5000 made. It was hard to buy those back then when you had the EVO/STI for similiar money. Sure the game has changed, all the cars have gone softer and the R now has a turbo to match the others. But everyone is entering this segment.

$40k i rather try to get a CPO 335i. Could get 4 doors, AWD and a bit of luxury. Could get a pony car like everyone is saying. New Focus seems to get a lot of talk.

A Golf R debate is kinda like a Nissan GTR debate. Yes the cult followers will buy it and love it. The kids will dream about it. But for the $ there are better cars. These cars might be great to borrow but not own. They are great cars and daily drivers but i wouldn't own one if i had the money and was looking. I'm a big nissan fan and i rather own a z06 then a GTR. I love GTI/GLI but not so much the R.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
For $40k i would not think about buying this car. While i love the orginal R32 mk4, drove like 12 out of the 5000 made. It was hard to buy those back then when you had the EVO/STI for similiar money. Sure the game has changed, all the cars have gone softer and the R now has a turbo to match the others. But everyone is entering this segment.

$40k i rather try to get a CPO 335i. Could get 4 doors, AWD and a bit of luxury. Could get a pony car like everyone is saying. New Focus seems to get a lot of talk.

A Golf R debate is kinda like a Nissan GTR debate. Yes the cult followers will buy it and love it. The kids will dream about it. But for the $ there are better cars. These cars might be great to borrow but not own. They are great cars and daily drivers but i wouldn't own one if i had the money and was looking. I'm a big nissan fan and i rather own a z06 then a GTR. I love GTI/GLI but not so much the R.

The thing is all the companies entering the segment have 0 idea what they're doing and to any serious driver they're going to get a Golf/WRX/maybe ST/RS. Having driven or ridden in all of them, the Golf definitely has the most refined interior for one thing.

Interestingly two people in my neighborhood own them. Both Empty nesters woman who are 50+. They liked the size, power and Awd beyond the snazzy interior. They use as their winter car.

I see a few young folks but mostly older folks. If pick focus Rs myself.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Interestingly two people in my neighborhood own them. Both Empty nesters woman who are 50+. They liked the size, power and Awd beyond the snazzy interior. They use as their winter car.

I see a few young folks but mostly older folks. If pick focus Rs myself.

Holy [censored], this. ^

I was talking to an older couple who just bought one at the gas station. I am not sure they were 100% keen on performance (maybe the "husband" was kinda aware). Around here, folks want 4WD so they might have bought it just for that. It was like they wanted an Audi but did not want to look like they were spending that type of money on "a snob's car".

I have a feeling that VW realized they were loosing too much of the segment to the WRX and felt they had to up the boost. However, this is the problem with VW. THe GTI/R cost about 5 grand more than they should. Don't say "refinement" because it is not there for the price-point either. No way should a "Golf" top 30K even in its top trim levels (with a four-pot) when the rest of the segment is in the low-mid 20s. VW might be a grand/two better "touch-points" but that is about it.

Well, with current deals, GTIs are easily had for $22k. I can't remember how many comparison reviews, after pointing out how the EVO or WRX was the faster/better track car, said they would buy and drive the GTI as a DD over any of them. Much more liveable.

I'm not saying these things, they're just what I've read.

and yes the R is overpriced, IMO

Funny, also, as you seem okay with an Impreza (aka WRX) that tops $30k with minimal options added? A Golf is easily a more refined platform to build from, than an Impreza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back