Cars with the best starter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: meep

the I6 4.0 always sounded like the battery was dying, but it gets honorable mention.

We have had a bunch of those. They always turned over pretty slow but it doesn't take much to get them to run. My 2000 has cranked slower than normal until I replaced the battery cables. Still slow, though.

My favorite is the '87-'90 with the Renix FI because you get to hear that starter spin for 3 minutes before the engine fires!
grin2.gif

Friend of mine has a 90. We always joked how far it would have to roll in gear to push start it should the starter failed.

Well, the starter failed on it. It only had to roll 3 blocks in gear to start. I kid, I kid.

It does take a lot longer than seems normal for it to get the cam/crank signals picked up to run. But for a renix FI, it doesn't crank too long. Probably 15 seconds which is really good for one of them.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think the worst one is the 05 Matrix. Sounds like an old bird on it's last leg coughing and wheezing to life. It did have a warm no start issue that took two dealer trips to figure out. Always starts when cold. They did a software update and it's been fine ever since. Plus it kind of revs on the high side after starting about 1900 rpm. I don't wait for it to idle down, put it into gear and go. Rpms in drive are fine when cold.

Up to the '13 Escape, our Fords have always had ridiculously high idle when cold. The Taurus and F350 (2001) and my '11 Focus. It's really annoying in the manuals trying to shift when it's -30F out and it HAS to run at 2500 RPM.

One time the exhaust fell off the F350 right after the crossover. I swear that thing woke a few people up in the cemetery across the street when that thing would fire up and idle at 2500RPM for 3 or 4 minutes.

If I started my Taurus and put it in drive, it would accelerate to 30 or so on its own until it calmed down the idle.

If we're talking about starter noise itself and not startup sounds, any gear reduction starter sounds good and some direct drivers do as well.
The starter of my old MGB had a nice sound to it and the one in my BMW is very much evocative of it. For that matter, the BMW reminds me of the MGB in a number of ways, although the MG had a more solid structure, since it was designed as an open car and not converted from a closed one.
The MG also had a number of retro engineering features and was a retro-look car in its final years of production before retro was cool, while the BMW was a completely modern design.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My Merc 300D starter sounds pretty nice. Believe it's a direct drive. Also doesn't crank all that long before it's running.

It's hard, mentally, to separate the starter noise from the resultant idle when both are pleasant.
wink.gif

The Che-Che-Che before an old 440 Magnum would light up - right then daddy sang bass .,.

My LS400 has a very cool cracking sound.

One thing I love, and it seems fuel injected cars don't do it, when a car starts with just a touch of the key. Like you don't even notice it crank.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
My LS400 has a very cool cracking sound.

One thing I love, and it seems fuel injected cars don't do it, when a car starts with just a touch of the key. Like you don't even notice it crank.

I know the exact sound you're talking about, totally an American V8 sound. Love it!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

+1
I like it too. My diesel starts like that when it's really hot, but that's more a carb engine thing!

My carbed Chevy 305 and my Olds 350 both start instantly like that. You can barely hear the starter before it fires most of the time. The Chevy is actually slightly quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back