10W-30 a better choice then 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Exactly Buster-->Hence the reason for my question...Mostly about the 2 oils I posted a bit of info about... Granted I do realize one has to look deeper into it then just the info I posted...

If it was apples to apples I would just chose the 10W-30 and never would have posted my question which I very reluctantly chose to do...

Thanks for your reply!

The two that you posted are that close in KV40/KV100 they are a wash. Looking at the MRV and CCS, neither appear to have an overly high reliance on VIIs.

So now you are down to the finer nuances, like the NOACK etc.

Bias your choice down that path...I'd run the 10W30, but -11C is the worst ever seen here...I'd also run the 5W30 without question.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Well.....Each person has their own focus. Truth be told, for your application, there is probably not a dime's worth of difference.

The 10W has a better NOACK. But the 5W is a bit thinner at 40C, which is good, and has a better VI.

The specs for the cold end of the scale are meaningless in your situation. It would have to get down a lot lower than zero before that would come into play.

So......If both satisfy the Chrysler specs, I doubt you would ever see any real difference.
A better VI is because of the viscosity improvers. Why is it good that at 40C the oil is thinner?

Because it is still thicker than optimum.

Until the additives are running, viscosity is all you've got.

I do not believe that an oil that was 10cst from freezing to 100C would be the "ideal" that 101 and others would have you believe without a BIG shift in additive technology.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Well.....Each person has their own focus. Truth be told, for your application, there is probably not a dime's worth of difference.

The 10W has a better NOACK. But the 5W is a bit thinner at 40C, which is good, and has a better VI.

The specs for the cold end of the scale are meaningless in your situation. It would have to get down a lot lower than zero before that would come into play.

So......If both satisfy the Chrysler specs, I doubt you would ever see any real difference.
A better VI is because of the viscosity improvers. Why is it good that at 40C the oil is thinner?

Because it is still thicker than optimum.
Define optimum?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I feel special since my car's oil cap says 10W-30 right on it.
I don't have to feel guilty like you guys do.
grin2.gif

Guilt is good ,,feel it. let is warm you.

Hi OP,

Tough question, both are good oils.

If you take the specs at face value, what stands out to me are:

5W30 has better VI, better cold start, and more manufacturer specs like Dexos and ACEA A5/B5

10W30 has much lower Noack volatility. I consider the 10W30 being half of the 5W30 to be a big difference.

I would happily use both. Hmmmmmmm....... I like low Noack, and I like the A5/B5 Euro spec. Ummmmm......OK 10W30 !!!

But give me a easy question next time.

Either one would be a valid choice for the climate you operate in.
At 0F or so, the difference in viscosity won't be dramatic.
The 10W-30 does offer a really low NOACK and with its low VI probably has a lower VII content, both of which are desirable IMHO.
I'm sure you know that RDS PDS numbers are always subject to change, and those available on Shell.epc may not be current.
Use whichever floats your boat.
I doubt that it'll make any difference to the engine.
Kudos to you for thinking a little outside the box and considering what many here call an obsolete grade.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
My question is as stated above-->Is the 10W-30 the better choice then the 5W-30 for an owner who is using a 30Wt oil?

No. With synthetic oil, there is no point in using 10W-30, as a quality synthetic 5W-30 won't shear.

If you run conventional oil and your car can't tolerate oil shear that conventional oil experiences, 10W-30 is OK in nofrigid climates.

Don't be fooled by NOACK. You really don't want to run a thicker base oil just to lower NOACK that is already low with synthetic 5W-30. You won't see any measurable difference in oil consumption. 5W-30 probably still cleans better than 10W-30 because the oil doesn't thicken as much when cold.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
No. With synthetic oil, there is no point in using 10W-30, as a quality synthetic 5W-30 won't shear.

OP was requesting comparison of two particular oils...the fact remains that the 5W30 will have more VII, and higher temporary and permanent shear.

Synthetics still have VIIs

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
5W-30 probably still cleans better than 10W-30 because the oil doesn't thicken as much when cold.

Honestly, do you have ANYTHING to back that assertion ?

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
....Manufactures that design and build these engines also know what type of oil it's supposed to take

They probably do. But, their preference may not always appear in the service manuals. My 1997 and 2002 Lincolns both have the identical 4.6L Intech engines and drive trains. The owner's manual for the 1997 stated 5W-30 oil. Clearly, it was designed to handle the 5W-30. The 2002 owner's manual states 5w-20 as recommended. Did the designer's change their minds over those years? The 20 weight worked better?

Fwiw, I got 232,000 miles on that 1997 running the now "too thick" 5w-30 on conventional motor oils and cheap $4 oil filters. And I have since read some articles from engine builders that clearly state the preferential oil for those engines is the 5w-30, at least if you want the maximum life out of them.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Above zero degrees, 10w30 will perform like 5w30. At least in my experience.

That has been my experience as well. Get below that though and you will know it.

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
5w30 is already past what is recommended in your Hemi, if you're still in warranty I would be putting in the proper oil, which is 5w20

If you have any issues with mds, Chrysler can test that oil and figure out you aren't using the proper one and there goes your warranty

Manufactures that design and build these engines also know what type of oil it's supposed to take

Not necessarily. Only if damage occurs that can be directly attributed to the oil used can the warranty be categorically denied. And there are more than OEM wants and desires for these engines in play. CAFE standards and other government nonsense has a decided factor in what OEM's recommend for their engines, at least in the auto and light duty pickup class. If it weren't for the low brain wave activity of the average consumer, and government interference in how things be done, I would bet the standard oil recommendation would be a 10w30 across the board, with only other recommendations for various operating conditions. That is the beauty of HD commercial trucks.... the OEM's allow a broad range of choices for oil viscosities, from 5w30 on up to 15w40, in engines clear up to 15L, even though they factory fill with 10w30 nowadays. They only require that any oil in any viscosity meet certain criteria and they list each of the criteria for the different viscosity oils in their lube manuals for their engines. They assume that the owner has a little more brain wave activity and can make an informed decision, and they don't ham string their customers to goofy government nonsense like the auto and pickup OEM's do.

Why aren't you using the recommended 5w-20 in your Hemi? I think you're way overthinking it though. I honestly don't see the point in 10w-30 grade oils in this day and age when the 5w-30's do it all just as good if not better. I personally prefer an oil that moves quickly at cold temperatures over anything else. I don't want my oil taking it's time getting out of bed with such an important job to do!

Regardless of outside ambient temperature, whether it's 100 above or 0, a cold start is still a cold start for the oil and it will still be crucial to get it moving fast to critical parts in the engine. That's one thing people tend to overlook when thinking about oil and cold starts. Warm for us is considered cold to an engine that runs at 190-210 degrees at peak operating range! Keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Regardless of outside ambient temperature, whether it's 100 above or 0, a cold start is still a cold start for the oil and it will still be crucial to get it moving fast to critical parts in the engine.

Sorry, you are incorrect...at 100, or even at 32, there will be zero difference in how a 0W, 5W, or 10W get to where it needs to be.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I feel special since my car's oil cap says 10W-30 right on it.
I don't have to feel guilty like you guys do.
grin2.gif

10-30 Privilege right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back