Dexos 1 advertised as full sythetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a question. I found ACDelco advertising Dexos 1 as full synthetic. Then, when you read the description it says it's a synthetic blend. Which is it????

http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/lubricants/synthetic-motor-oil-dexos1.html

The only reason I ask is I own a newer turbo GM vehicle that requires MOBIL1 and have heard from my friends at GM that only full synthetics should be used in turbo cars or it dramatically shortens the life of the turbo. Can I use Dexos1?

Last edited:
It could be either because it seems like they make both (see list of Dexos oils here) and it obviously is a typo on one of the descriptions. I have no horse in the race per se because I do not have any late model GM vehicles, but if it were mine, I would only use a full synthetic oil in a modern turbocharged engine. My recommendation would be to use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic, Castrol Edge (Black or Gold) or similar oils. Good luck!

PS...
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It could be either because it seems like they make both (see list of Dexos oils here) and it obviously is a typo on one of the descriptions. I have no horse in the race per se because I do not have any late model GM vehicles, but if it were mine, I would only use a full synthetic oil in a modern turbocharged engine. My recommendation would be to use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic, Castrol Edge (Black or Gold) or similar oils. Good luck!

PS...
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

+1 The new Dexos spec is pretty stringent so I would use it for most other engines (including DI engines) but for turbos I agree, stick with a quality full synthetic.

I don't know about turbo engines absolutely having to have full syn oils in them. KJSmith has had some great UOAs in his Ecoboost F150 using Magnatec 5w-30, which is supposed to be a syn blend. And he's had more than one good UOA using it in this high mileage turbo 3.5. I like the looks of it so much that it's going into the wife '14 EB F150 for a run. Up to now, it's had Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-30. Heck, I might even give up my beloved Castrol Edge 0w-40 for it if I keep seeing consistently good UOAs with it in other various vehicles.

welcome2.gif

You don't need M1. Any dexos1 licensed oil will be fine, and it doesn't have to be synthetic, either. Dexos1 is for all GM cars, except the diesels.

Napa has their house brand synthetic oil on sale for $2.99 this month. It's rebranded Synpower, and certified for dexos1.

Reading the text line indicates they are talking about a synthetic blend.

Regardless, anything Dexos rated is a minimum a syn blend. It passes a host of tests above standard SN/GF-5. I've moved my whole fleet to Dexos oils even though I only have 1 GM vehicle under warranty. I REALLY like the Dexos spec.

What vehicle do you have? Dexos 1 is a universal spec that covers all their previous 4718M, 6094M, and the European GM-LL-025 specs. Your manual should specify this. No new GM vehicles SPECIFICALLY require Mobil 1.

Dexos 1 is for your turbo..
"Fully synthetic" isn't in America; most labeled "fully Synthetic" are Semi Synthetic AT BEST by true definition.

Also synthetic ILSAC oils do not automatically mean a better performance. The current ILSAC "Dino" oils have to surpass a PAO synthetic std baseline on fuel economy improvement for example.

Then there are all kinds of synthetic and some are superior in situ.
The falsely advertised "fully synthetic oil" is not a performance band aid by any means.

Originally Posted By: yellowraregt
Hello,
I own a newer turbo GM vehicle that requires MOBIL1 and have heard from my friends at GM that only full synthetics should be used in turbo cars or it dramatically shortens the life of the turbo. Can I use Dexos1?
What does your owner's manual say? I bet it says dexos1 is OK. If it does, then you're fine.

If dexos1 oil isn't good enough for any cars that specify dexos1 then GM would be paying silly amounts towards warranty repairs. And, GM is being VERY careful to EXPLICITLY state which oils meet the dexos specifications. I've got to believe that GM is staying on top of this for you. So, if dexos1 is called out, and you use dexos1, then you can easily sleep at night.

I think synthetic blend is a minimum to get to dexos1 standards. And that is primarily for NOACK. After that, it is the add pack that makes it meet all the stuff of dexos1 or any other spec for that matter. People get too hung up on the base oil and forget that the add pack makes 20-25% of any motor oil. You can have the best synthetic, but without a good add pack, a motor will still grenade. I long since got away from the "true" synthetic vs "faux" synthetic nonsense. Total waste of time.

The quickest way to shorten the life of a turbo is to shut the engine off at the top of a mountain pass.

Industrial engines have auxiliary turbo oil pumps that switch on for several minutes after the engine is shut down.

Turbos don't require "synthetic", they require whatever approval or certification the manufacturer specifies. GM specifies Dexos 1.

My wife's Hyundai only requires ILSAC/GF-4, API SN. We've used everything from Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge to Quaker State Advanced Durability(GB) and Valvoline conventional. Car hasn't missed a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back