Buick 3800 - "Von Voyage" oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL (22 yrs. old) drives a '98 LeSabre with 210K on the clock. I've been doing his oil changes since last fall, running 4K OCI with MaxLife 10w30, using a quart every 1,500 mi. or less. As much as I've tried to persuade him to keep an eye on it, he refuses to change his ways and continues to crank it up and immediately mash the gas down, and little else. Every change, I find it at least a quart low. He's going to Maine at the first of September until next May and taking the car with him. We'd planned for me to pull the engine and do a complete re-seal before he left but that's not going to happen - I hope I'll get to at least do the valve cover gaskets. The whole bottom half of the engine stays wet, but not gushing yet. Because I doubt he'd listen to me, anyway, I'm looking at what oil I can put in the car before he leaves to best withstand a long OCI (basically tell him "don't worry about it until you get back" - otherwise he's likely to take it to a quick-change place for a conventional oil change and it'll go back to using a quart every 800 mi.) and reduce consumption as much as possible until it's back under my care, that he can get readily at Wal-Mart if he does decide to keep an eye on it. I have great confidence in Maxlife, but will a HD-HM oil fare better in this case? I have a jug of Rotella T6 - is that likely to hold up/stay in better than Maxlife?

Just to be clear, I'm never not frustrated by people that are 100% apathetic about pulling the hood release BEFORE there's a problem.

Last edited:
I might put a 15w 40 conventional in it since its not cold weather, and I'd tell him to check it. I'd never tell him don't worry about it until you get back. If he blows it up its a lesson he needs to learn.

P.S. I'd tell him, if you don't check it and keep it topped off, you will not touch his car anymore.

Last edited:
Rotella T6 5w40 should be fine, overfill it by a quart and put 2 extra quarts in the trunk, maybe he'll see the extra quarts and it'll remind him to check it at least once. It'll probably live.

What's a BIF? Modern slang acronym dictionary says either Basis in Fact, Before I Forget or Butt in Front, none of which seem to fit your usage. Explain please?

For what it's worth, I own 3 Buicks with the trusty 3800. I've had the pan off and on my level workbench and purposefully put 4.5 measured quarts in it, which came barely to the bottom of the crank baffle. Since doing this, I purposefully pour 5 whole quarts in when I change oil. (filter holds 1/2 quart). Being 1/2 quart overfill hurts NOTHING in this engine, and it's more convenient not to have to measure the last 1/2 quart I add.

But I also second the poster who says to threaten your friend? with not servicing his vehicle anymore if he can't at least add a quart when necessary. Perhaps blowing an engine might be a good thing for him in the long run; it might change his attitude. Maybe he can sit on the side of the road for a few hours and think about his future options.

Edit: I know Nick 1994 means well, but a full quart overfill WILL come over the crankshaft baffle and make a "cloud" of oil around the crank in this motor. I've measured.

Last edited:
BIL - brother-in-law. Wise words about giving him my best advice and letting him learn, but I guess in his case I'm just too compassionate toward him and the car. :p A 5w40 probably isn't a bad idea - being in Maine over the winter makes me wary of 15w40. Oh, I'd put a couple quarts in the trunk for sure. He's going to a church leadership school so I'm not sure he'll put on a ton of miles outside of the drives up there and back.

I would guess that those valve cover gaskets are the main reason for the oil loss. A 15W40 oil will not be good for a Maine winter. A 5W30 will good regardless of oil loss. It will be hard to turn over in some sub-zero days. Winter tires might be a good added feature.

Be assured with some people, " you can't fix stupid"

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
BIL - brother-in-law. Wise words about giving him my best advice and letting him learn, but I guess in his case I'm just too compassionate toward him and the car. :p A 5w40 probably isn't a bad idea - being in Maine over the winter makes me wary of 15w40. Oh, I'd put a couple quarts in the trunk for sure. He's going to a church leadership school so I'm not sure he'll put on a ton of miles outside of the drives up there and back.

sorry i missed the sept til next may, i'd use a 5w 50 then, not a 15w 40 for winter there.

I'd probably put a couple quarts of 20w50 in since it's a leaker and he's bad about checking the level. Thicker oil won't hurt that old Buick

EDIT: Just saw that he'll be driving it in winter, +2 on 5w50 especially if you can find it cheap, I recently scored some mobil1 5w50 in the clearance aisle at my local wal-mart for $2 a quart

Last edited:
Since he'll be in Maine, I'd go for the thickest 5W high-mileage oil that you can easily find at Wal-Mart, which I think would come out to 5W-30 MaxLife, Mobil 1 HM, PP HM, or SuperTech HM. Overfill by 1/2 qt and if you're feeling generous, buy an extra quart and stash it in the trunk. I'd go for something you can find easily at Wal-Mart in case he needs to pick up more oil on short notice.

Fill it up with Maxlife 20W50 and a good filter (maybe Fram Ultra). Like jsfalls said,20W50 won't hurt a 3800 in cold temps. If you don't want to use 20W50,fill it up with Maxlife 10W40 and a Fram Ultra,or any other hm oil in your favorite brand. Call him every so often and have him check the oil level while you're on the phone with him.

From what I've read maxlife is your best bet for keeping the burning reduced on a 3.8. I would put Maxlife 10w40 in it and overfill 2/3-3/4 of a quart. I wouldn't put anything extremely thick in, he may be seeing some -15 start ups in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Since he'll be in Maine, I'd go for the thickest 5W high-mileage oil that you can easily find at Wal-Mart, which I think would come out to 5W-30 MaxLife, Mobil 1 HM, PP HM, or SuperTech HM. Overfill by 1/2 qt and if you're feeling generous, buy an extra quart and stash it in the trunk. I'd go for something you can find easily at Wal-Mart in case he needs to pick up more oil on short notice.

That's what I'd do. 15W40 for a Maine winter is not a good idea, and a quart over in a 3800 is too much. Any good HM 5W30 oil a half quart overfilled would be my recommendation as well. A few extra quarts in the trunk with a note taped to the box with a friendly reminder to check the oil would be a good idea.

Top up every 500 miles and just change the filter every 3000 miles and forget about dropping the oil.

In this manner there will be 2.5 quarts of fresh oil every 3000 miles based 1 qt every 1500 miles and 0.5 quarts for the filter.

Do it yourself.

Will going up a weight really help in this situation? 1 quart every 1500 miles is severe IMO.

Either he keeps an eye on his oil and tops off as needed or he doesn't and pays the consequences.. It's that simple.

For a long OCI, I'd go for M1 10w30 HM with a quality (over-sized if possible) filter. WIX, Fram TG/ Ultra etc.

You can only help family so much.

Last edited:
It's his car and his problem, not yours. Rather than continue to babysit him, let him fail and learn that there are consequences to both actions and inactions.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Fill it up with Maxlife 20W50 and a good filter (maybe Fram Ultra). Like jsfalls said,20W50 won't hurt a 3800 in cold temps. If you don't want to use 20W50,fill it up with Maxlife 10W40 and a Fram Ultra,or any other hm oil in your favorite brand. Call him every so often and have him check the oil level while you're on the phone with him.

+1

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's his car and his problem, not yours. Rather than continue to babysit him, let him fail and learn that there are consequences to both actions and inactions.
The problem is people like that DON'T learn any lesson...they just whine that the car was a ****box and buy another one and treat it exactly the same way.

You can lead a horse to water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back