I got a new to me 2011 Impala, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: PolarisX

Don't pull on the door handles too hard in freezing conditions, they are flimsy.

That, I can promise, won't be an issue! LOL

It is when they ice up and you gotta give it some. I had a Pontiac G5 GT with a similar handle that ripped off around 5ºF with some ice on it. That was fun.

That, I can promise, won't be an issue! LOL

It is when they ice up and you gotta give it some. I had a Pontiac G5 GT with a similar handle that ripped off around 5ºF with some ice on it. That was fun.

Won't be an issue for me!

Freeze is almost non existant here in the swamps. If it hits 50 degrees in January people nearly panic here, LOL.

I owned a 2010 impala for 2 yrs and 30k. Traded it in at 93k for the malibu which was brand new with 15miles on it. Tank goodness i bought an extended warranty on it. I payed like...2,300 for it and it payed aout almost 6k in 2 yrs 30k. 3 rack amd pinions, Oil pan gasket Front hub bearings, Lower control arms, Intake gaskets, trans cooler lines, blend door actuator, ect..... i work on cars for a living so a lot of stuff a person wouldn't care about but tht car i did. Im plenty happy to get rid of and im happy with my malibu.

Aslo bought and extended Warranty on the malibu but dealer gets to handle tht. Only small thing right now with the malibu is the door handle is cracked and the rf axle seal is seeping a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I owned a 2010 impala for 2 yrs and 30k. Traded it in at 93k for the malibu which was brand new with 15miles on it. Tank goodness i bought an extended warranty on it. I payed like...2,300 for it and it payed aout almost 6k in 2 yrs 30k. 3 rack amd pinions, Oil pan gasket Front hub bearings, Lower control arms, Intake gaskets, trans cooler lines, blend door actuator, ect..... i work on cars for a living so a lot of stuff a person wouldn't care about but tht car i did. Im plenty happy to get rid of and im happy with my Malibu

And with all those claims on your Impala's extended warranty, did anybody ask what oil you used ? To make sure it was the correct grade ?

Not picking a fight, just my belief that oil only affects warranty for an oil related issue, and mostly it's not an oil related issue. In Australia they would never ask you what oil you use if you came in with a broken door handle, and even with an engine issue I believe they would only ask the question if the oil looked old and shagged.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I owned a 2010 impala for 2 yrs and 30k. Traded it in at 93k for the malibu which was brand new with 15miles on it. Tank goodness i bought an extended warranty on it. I payed like...2,300 for it and it payed aout almost 6k in 2 yrs 30k. 3 rack amd pinions, Oil pan gasket Front hub bearings, Lower control arms, Intake gaskets, trans cooler lines, blend door actuator, ect..... i work on cars for a living so a lot of stuff a person wouldn't care about but tht car i did. Im plenty happy to get rid of and im happy with my Malibu

And with all those claims on your Impala's extended warranty, did anybody ask what oil you used ? To make sure it was the correct grade ?

Not picking a fight, just my belief that oil only affects warranty for an oil related issue, and mostly it's not an oil related issue. In Australia they would never ask you what oil you use if you came in with a broken door handle, and even with an engine issue I believe they would only ask the question if the oil looked old and shagged.

Nope never once question any of the work. All we did was call them and tell them what the "tech" found 2 b the problem, they gave us the ok, we did the work and sent them a copy of the work order and they faxed us back a CC number with a approved amount.

I had only used full syn oil in the 30k i owned it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mate !
Yeah that makes sense.

BTW good work on the new Malibu, nice car, they sell them here and I like the look of them.

Thanks Mate !
Yeah that makes sense.

BTW good work on the new Malibu, nice car, they sell them here and I like the look of them.

Thanks i like the body style and engine setup on mine compared to the new ones. She been a good car expect when i was hit in tht accident last yr. Ill have her for a yr aug 12th and she almost has 15k on her.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
You must be so proud.

The thing I'm most proud of is that 25 years ago I escaped that festering stink hole called New Jersey and moved to Colorado.
And I was born and raised there. From 1947 to 1991 I lived there.
Asian cars are so much better.
We have had the Elanta for 24K miles. No issues
We have had the Sentra for 67K. Replaced the struts,thats all.

They fought me tooth and nail on the Malibu in my sig that got a motor replacement. Until they finally caved and admitted it had nothing to do with oil and it was a defect in the [censored] Ecotec head.

Already I am amazed that when I look outside in the morning and find the Impala is intact in my driveway, and did not spontaneously fall apart into a heap of 1000 pieces overnight, I am relieved. Thank you all.

Already I am amazed that when I look outside in the morning and find the Impala is intact in my driveway, and did not spontaneously fall apart into a heap of 1000 pieces overnight, I am relieved. Thank you all.

If it does can I have your wheel hubs and rear bumper cover?

Thats one thing I've never really seen even on the Impala forums is the PS pump. That's bad luck!

The Thermostat thing manifests as an error on the DIC that says "ENGINE HOT / AC OFF". It really means the thing is stuck open and the car isn't at the temp is should be. Curiously it shuts off the temp gauge when the code is set. I should do mine soon.

Last edited:

They fought me tooth and nail on the Malibu in my sig that got a motor replacement. Until they finally caved and admitted it had nothing to do with oil and it was a defect in the [censored] Ecotec head.

OK, thanks for that.

It sounds like they were trying to get out of doing the correct thing by you, by looking for an oil loophole to get you on. Not an honourable thing to do.

I'm very glad you stood your ground and got the defect fixed. We dealer attitude like this, I understand the concern more.

BTW all up, how do you find the Malibu ?
I very much like the look of them.

OK, thanks for that.

It sounds like they were trying to get out of doing the correct thing by you, by looking for an oil loophole to get you on. Not an honourable thing to do.

I'm very glad you stood your ground and got the defect fixed. We dealer attitude like this, I understand the concern more.

BTW all up, how do you find the Malibu ?
I very much like the look of them.

the new malibu's with the new body style i hated. i had one for a loaner for a week while i was getting a scratch fixed on my malibu. i love my 2015 malibu only thing tht bugs me a lil bit is if you come to a quick stop the trans like to downshift hard "sometimes". the new malibu was way under powered. the 1.5T was pathetic, the DI 2.5 in my malibu was more powerful than the 1.5T.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's one, a 2010 with 93k miles on it. According to the carfax it had to have t-stat replaced, ps pump and the trans cooler lines repaired over six years and over 90k miles. Not too bad. All cars have their issues some more than others. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

http://www.firment.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Chevrolet-Impala-LT-Avon-OH/2789263933

They are asking $8850 for the 2010. Mine is a 2011 (but with more miles), same color, body and interior in excellent shape, newly rebuilt trans, new brakes and brand new tires, for an even $5000. Hard to go too wrong at that price, IMHO.

OP - Check the oil level often - it only holds 4 quarts. Follow the OLM unless you are using synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back