1999 ford expedition factory mercon v synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone knows wether the mercon v that was filled at factory fully synthetic or semi synthetic or dinosaur oil based. The factory fill is a lifetime fill when not overly severe driving. I got 160k out of factory fill which makes me think it is fully synthetic. I am also thinking that replacement mercon v today at dealer is inferior to mercon v used at factory fill in or around 1999.

Last edited:
The factory fill and the aftermarket Motorcraft bottles are the same stuff, made by ConocoPhillips. I don't know for sure whether it's dino or semi-syn, but it's definitely not full syn.

Today motorcraft has 2 mercon v products.
One is dino based and one is semi.
Was this the case way back in 1999 or was it all semi.
Was mercon v downgraded to dino to allow mercon users to fill their vehicles with mercon v. Ford could use semi synthetic mercon v at factory and recommend to use dino mercon v as replacement as they would be compatible.

I changed the Mercon V factory fill in my 2002 Lincoln at 42K miles/8 years old. It wasn't the cleanest looking stuff. Just did the filter and another fluid change at 71K miles and the fluid was somewhat dirty and the filter quite dirty. I don't know about 160K miles on factor fill. My owner's manual has you change it every 30K miles. The factory fill in 1997 was plain old Mercon. The Mercon V came into being just a short time later. My identical 1997 Lincoln went 230K miles on Mercon/Dex III with no transmission issues doing 30K fluid changes. I doubt the 1999 Mercon V ff was full synthetic, though I'm only guessing.

I bought the expedition new so it did go 160k miles on factory fill. And it looked good too after 160k miles.
Another way to state my question could be if there are any so called lifetime factory fills that are based on dino atf?

It is most likely dino. The semi-synthetic Mercon V was primarily for the rough shifting issues on the TR-3650 5 speed manual in the Mustangs and Falcons.

Probably conventional. Ford has had some long intervals for conventional oils.

There's no set interval for my truck's 5R44E under normal use either, also a Mercon V trans from new. I didn't trust that interval though, so this truck has had regular changes around every 30K or so until recently. I have slacked off lately because of how clean it was when I dropped the pan for the first time at 148K.

The rear end was filled with conventional 80W90 from the factory, with a 150,000 mile interval. I don't know why they even put it in the maintenance manual at that point, but it was there. I didn't wait for 150K to roll around on the diff either. That was changed out by 55K miles.

And now walmart sells semi synthetic mercon v supertech for about 4.3 dollars a quart. It states semi synthetic right on the bottle so that is comforting. motorcraft semi synthetic is 4 times what walmart charges for supertech semi synthetic mercon v. I will have to read up on ford spec wss-m2c202-b for 1999 mercon v !

Interesting that ford for 2000 and later expedition lists only mercon v as ford atf spec and not wss-m2c202-b ! Been going through all their owner manuals online.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Today motorcraft has 2 mercon v products.
One is dino based and one is semi.
Where did you get this info? I've never heard that before and the Motorcraft site lists only one flavour of Mercon V.

Motorcraft Xt-5-qsm.
Amazon sells it. I have seen it on fords web site too.
Dont have fords site address.

I have never sold it in the 9+ years I have been doing Ford parts. People complain enough how much Mercon V costs. They don't even use Mercon V in anything, Mercon LV was back spec'd to replace Mercon V in a few applications.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=Synthetic+Blend+MERCON%AE+V+Automatic+Transmission+and+Power+Steering+Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid

I think ford mercon v today is very reasonably priced.
There is just a lot of confusing info out there on dino v semi v full synthetic. I am a fan of the factory fill (1999) mercon v. Not sure todays ford mercon v is same as that was put in the factory in 1999.

If it has been replaced, then their webpage is not up to date.

Fair enough, there is one application where LV is back spec 'd, but by and large, that is not the case. All the others I recognize are still spec'd for merc V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back