New VW vs Used Honda......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I had a 100K, 7 year extended warranty on my 07 passat and never used it. Not a single non-maintenance problem after a few initial parts were recalled and replaced. I did have to replace the cam follower preemptively which cost me $45 and about two hours out of my Saturday. And this was supposedly one of the least reliable years with the problematic FSI 2.0T engine.

To me sacrificing everyday enjoyment so that you can avoid a couple hundred dollars and one to two extra visits to the dealership per year is like not riding a horse because you might fall off. I don't get that mentality but it seems pervasive when it comes to cars.

In any case, it sounds like Greg loves his Accord, likes the way it drives. I don't see any reason not to keep it.

Depends on individual lifestyle, life demands, and logistics. For me, two extra dealer visits per year would be a major consideration. I can't say with any certainty about these two cars, but the difference between a very reliable car and a very non-reliable one can be a LOT more than two dealer visits per year.

And in this particular case, for some reason I don't like the idea of a car that has sat around for two years, with maybe just a few short idles and drives. How much is that Passat worth using a used car guide with low miles? Titled or not, being a 2014 I wouldn't consider it a new car, just a newer less used one than the Accord the OP owns and is a known quantity to him.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I would too in a straight trade.

I think the OP paid around $18k for the used Accord a year ago. Less his trade of only $3500 for the 06 Accord that was in mint condition. So yes I would shoot for an even trade as well. Maybe start asking the dealer for $2500 cash back on his side. Then end up at even trade.

If that's accurate, that might set a world record for the worst trade-in ever. That car would be snapped up st 2 to 3 times that 3500 around here.

Found it, looks like $5500 for the trade in. Which if you back out taxes he paid about $19k for the Accord.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would walk out for $15,200. This is with a $5,500 trade.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Accord? Sonata? Passat? All are for blue haired old ladies. Buy a Challenger R/T or a truck. No reason to drive a FWD sled in Florida.

Just saw your location and have to agree with dishdude. Too much of the same kind of car, if you're looking to trade up this soon get something to keep a smile on your face.

Found it, looks like $5500 for the trade in. Which if you back out taxes he paid about $19k for the Accord.

Yikes. Really got reamed on that trade in.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

Yes, those are accurate numbers...and no, that was actually a good trade in value, better than average in fact. It may be different in your location but I KBB'ed everything and while I may not have got a screaming deal the prices were inline with "fair market value" according to KBB. It was (and probably still is) a great car for sure but the fact is it was nearly 10 years old with just under 140K miles and $5,500 wasn't bad at all trading in to a dealership. I only paid $8,200 out the door for it 5 years ago at a dealership. Trade in value now on that same car not even 1 year later is $3,204.

At this point I am going to happily keep the Accord, like I said in my original post the only reason I was considering trading was if I could get into the Passat for little to no money on my end. Then I would have a new car with "0" miles on it. After sleeping on it though the sound of a 150K mile VW (years down the road) just doesn't sit as well with me as a 150K Honda. Besides, it I ever get the itch to drive a VW I can just hop in the girlfriends Jetta, it too has the 1.8T.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Accord? Sonata? Passat? All are for blue haired old ladies. Buy a Challenger R/T or a truck. No reason to drive a FWD sled in Florida.

To that I say phooey. Sure vehicles in this segment won't scream past todays sports cars but the current crop of mid-sized sedans do enough to make the drive enjoyable and even fun. The 8th gen Accord is one of few to still offer hydraulic power steering and double wishbone suspension.

I don't think he or myself mean flat out speed, just fun factor. You don't need power, jumping into a new MX-5
or FRS/BRZ will show you that.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
I don't think he or myself mean flat out speed, just fun factor. You don't need power, jumping into a new MX-5
smile.gif

You've got that right.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
smile.gif

You've got that right.

Exactly, if you're going to make the trade do it for something fun. MX-5, FRS/BRZ fall in the category. Save the sedans for when you buy the child seats.

On top of that, the FRS/BRZ should give you Toyota reliability. I'd take a strong naturally aspirated 200hp 4cyl over a 170lb turbo motor all day, especially when it is tuned strictly for driver enjoyment and is powered from the rear wheels. Go test drive one! If I was without kids it would have been on my radar a couple years ago. Maybe you can even get a good deal on the Scion since they are now donzo.

The frs/bezel are gutless in normal driving(90% of time). Amazing when wound up and in curves.

Small turbo offer a lot of torque early making normal driving a pleasure.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The frs/bezel are gutless in normal driving(90% of time). Amazing when wound up and in curves.

Small turbo offer a lot of torque early making normal driving a pleasure.

Exactly. The 1.8T makes max torque at 1500 rpm which is where you spend most of your time, so its more fun for daily driving.

Yes, those are accurate numbers...and no, that was actually a good trade in value, better than average in fact. It may be different in your location but I KBB'ed everything and while I may not have got a screaming deal the prices were inline with "fair market value" according to KBB. It was (and probably still is) a great car for sure but the fact is it was nearly 10 years old with just under 140K miles and $5,500 wasn't bad at all trading in to a dealership. I only paid $8,200 out the door for it 5 years ago at a dealership. Trade in value now on that same car not even 1 year later is $3,204.

I guess I was under the impression it had a lot fewer miles for some reason. Still seems quite low trade in to me if it was in good shape. Maybe because I've been in the process of looking at Hondas of that vintage and the prices being asked are much higher than that, but of course dealer trade in would be lower. You couldn't buy a civic of that age and miles around here for that, and you would likely need to add in another 800 or so because the timing belt was never changed.

I think you're making the right choice keeping the Accord. Why get rig of something you like for something that is an unknown. That two years sitting would be a major negative for me. Even without being driven, which in itself isn't a good thing, it's depreciated because it's two years old, hence the cheap price. When the time comes to replace the Accord, sell it yourself. You'll get much more for it and it will sell in a heartbeat. Heck, maybe I'll buy it.

On top of that, the FRS/BRZ should give you Toyota reliability. I'd take a strong naturally aspirated 200hp 4cyl over a 170lb turbo motor all day, especially when it is tuned strictly for driver enjoyment and is powered from the rear wheels. Go test drive one! If I was without kids it would have been on my radar a couple years ago. Maybe you can even get a good deal on the Scion since they are now donzo.

If I remember correctly reliability statistics on that car are not good. Maybe it improved after the first year.

FRS/BRZ have Subaru engines. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

It's really amazing here on BITOG when a motor has a problem a model year or two-how some think it's never addressed and goes on for perpetuity. I will take new Subaru over your Toyota which has over 200,000 miles on it.....

If I remember correctly reliability statistics on that car are not good. Maybe it improved after the first year.

Yep, I heard there were some pretty significant engine problems when those came out...hopefully they have been resolved.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

It's really amazing here on BITOG when a motor has a problem a model year or two-how some think it's never addressed and goes on for perpetuity. I will take new Subaru over your Toyota which has over 200,000 miles on it.....
Yeah if it were free I'd take a new Subaru over my car too.

All I've heard about with Subarus is years and years of head gasket issues, oil burning, and random engine failures. I personally wouldn't buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back