04 silverado 1500 z71 5.3L recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased an 04 silverado with the 4l60e. Currently has 146k. No idea if it has been changed before or not. But I was going to do a trans filter and some new fluid just for maintenance. I believe the manual says dexron 3 but it's now superceded to dexron vi I believe? What brand do you recommend for me? I don't tow anything heavy and it's basically my daily driver.

Last edited:
Maxlife ATF is awesome, affordable, and widely available.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. Some GM trucks have the drain plug, and some don't.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. Some GM trucks have the drain plug, and some don't.

No need for that purchase; ATF can be completely exchanged via fitting at cooler.
TransFlush019.jpg

Sounds like max life is favored lol. May go with that one. To be honest I've never changed transmission fluid in any vehicle I've owned bUT I really like this one

What benefits would valvoline dexron vi full synthetic or maxlife full synthetic have over the other? Which would be better for my application?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What benefits would valvoline dexron vi full synthetic or maxlife full synthetic have over the other? Which would be better for my application?

Maxlife is supposed to be better for high mileage cars with special additives. It's not officially licensed Dexron VI, but it doesn't matter since your transmission doesn't require it, and you're out-of-warranty anyway.

The Valvoline Dexron VI is licensed Dexron VI, which matters if your car is still under warranty.

In your case, use Maxlife.

Do a complete fluid exchange or Drain and Refills 4 times with MaxLife or any modern equivalent.

OEM fluids are not necessarily the highest quality fluids out there.

I ended up going with valvoline dexron vi full synthetic. In the little time I've driven since the change it is noticeably smoother.

They aren't picky transmissions. Anything equivalent to Dexron III or better is fine.

Dexron III hasn't been licensed by GM since 2006. This is why you will sometimes see creative labeling like "Dex/Merc," "DexIII," and my favorite, "Dextron III." Dexron VI is the replacement. VI is lower viscosity when new, but is more stable, so it doesn't shear as much as III.

At work we most often use AC Delco Dexron VI in these. Sometimes depending on how the job is billed, we use a Wynns synthetic universal ATF. No problems out of either.

Are you doing the work? If no drain plug - the B&M plug kits are easy to install .
Find some copper crush washers (M14 maybe?) and toss the nylon seal.
Then you can do what MoleKule said - flip the pan volume again once you have driven it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back