Gun Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my local gun store, a very large one. I was quoted $209 for a Ruger LCP .380. I asked about a Kel-Tec .32 and was told it
was $269. Why the big difference? Thanks guys

Ruger is a larger and higher tier manufacturer. They makes and sell more guns. So chances are they have lower production costs because of this and can sell guns with a smaller profit margin and make up for it in the numbers.

I think Ruger is clearing many of their LCP models. I've seen that for a little over a year now -- some models of the LCP are around 200 bucks, while others are much higher price.

For example, Buds doesn't have ANY LCPs in stock. PSA doesn't have any in stock except for one special model, at $359.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/firearms/handguns.html?manufacturer=207&firearm_caliber=885

When this pricing structure first came on the scene over a year ago, I assumed Ruger was getting ready to either drop the LCP altogether or introduce a new generation. But...it's been a while since they've had such a good price on them...I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: Grab-A-Gun is also out of stock on LCPs. It may be worth a call to Ruger to see what the story is.

http://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns-fo...nufacturer=2514

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why so cheap?

Because that's all their worth. If that. The Ruger LCP is a cheap little molded, plastic pocket pistol. It's production cost is close to, if not cheaper than a Jennings .25 Auto. At least they were made of metal. And were plated to boot with wooden grips. $360.00 for a LCP is a joke. Ruger is making a fortune on these guns.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why so cheap?

Because that's all their worth. If that. The Ruger LCP is a cheap little molded, plastic pocket pistol.

Depends on your point of view.
Light, small,....and...one of the most reliable pistols you can find. 500+ rounds through mine and not one problem. The other thing is it has no safety and the slide doesn't lock open on the last round. (no problem bc its not a combat fun).

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth buy the LCP the LCP custom.

Originally Posted By: Al

It's not so much a "point of view", as it is a statement of actual value. The gun is ridiculously over priced for what you're getting. This regardless of how well it runs. For example, you can purchase a North American Arms .380 Guardian which is crafted from 100% machined Stainless Steel for around the same price. When you examine the workmanship involved in it's manufacturing, the Ruger is nothing but a total rip off for what they're charging for it.

It's not so much a "point of view", as it is a statement of actual value. The gun is ridiculously over priced for what you're getting.

So its "better" how? Weighs over twice as much? Over twice as expensive?

Better functionally?...no. Better reliability? No. .... Better does depend on your point of view. For me "Better" means better "functionally". For you "better" is "made" better (which doesn't make it functionally better). I just can't discard my engineering training....hasn't changed much in the last 47 years since I graduated.

Last edited:
So its "better" how? Weighs over twice as much? Over twice as expensive? Better functionally?...no. Better reliability? No. .... Better does depend on your point of view. For me "Better" means better "functionally". For you "better" is "made" better (which doesn't make it functionally better). I just can't discard my engineering training....hasn't changed much in the last 47 years since I graduated.

All that blather aside. It is still ridiculously overpriced. Which is what I said in the first place.

There is cheap and there is inexpensive. Rugers are inexpensive. Any of the guns made by the producers in the "Ring of Fire" tended to be cheap along with all those old saturday night special guns.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There is cheap and there is inexpensive. Rugers are inexpensive.

$450.00 for a molded plastic pocket .380 is NOT "inexpensive". Look at some of their other more quality pieces. They are hardly inexpensive anymore. A Stainless Single Six is north of $650.00. A Mini 14 now runs more than most AR-15 models. The Ruger AR-15 is far more expensive than most all of it's competitors. Their Model 77 bolt actions are as costly as any. If not more so. And their #1 Single Shot rifles run well into 4 digits. Many without sights.

Ruger makes some very nice weapons. But many of them are hardly inexpensive. And the their line of auto pistols changes like the weather. Here today and gone tomorrow. And the cheaply made plastic models like the LCP are insanely overpriced for the amount of manufacturing and workmanship they contain.

Ruger LCPs of the past 2-3 years are very reliable and cheap ($209) in many stores.
Plus Ruger has a terrific warranty and backs their LCP products very well.

Every single maker has "meat and potato" guns and higher end products. It is all part of having a well rounded line. I am not sure where you are getting your prices, but I can buy stainless single sixes all day long with almost 130 bucks cheaper than that without even trying to haggle. You are quoting MSRP, and we all know that is not even close to the real pries. Quality wheel guns are expensive to manufacture...just look at the price Colt slaps on their single actions.

400 dollar polymer 380's are not unique to Ruger (Glock for instance sells theirs for 400ish on the street, not MSRP), and as mentioned they are selling many of their guns FAR cheaper than that. Polymer is only inexpensive once you have all the molds designed, made, and paid for. But like any manufacturing, even polymer has significant startup costs.

For an older gent, I am sure guns do seem high priced. The dollar buys jack compared to what it used to, and the cost of operating a manufacturing facility in the USA is sky high due to labor and material cost as well as more stringent regulations. Heck even with me in my early 30's I have seen the dollar take a dive, losing over a third of its purchasing power since I graduated high school.

$450.00 for a molded plastic pocket .380 is NOT "inexpensive".

I used to think you knew a bit about pistols but anyone that quotes a $450 price for an LCP is not in touch.

Ruger sells every single gun they make. Millions and millions of guns, flying off the shelves. So I think they know what the proper going rate for their pistols should be. I don't care if the LCP was $500, I would still buy one. A FANTASTIC little pistol. It's the best pistol in its class. Period. 2500 rounds down range in mine and not one single jam, hiccup, or problem.

$450.00 for a molded plastic pocket .380 is NOT "inexpensive".

I used to think you knew a bit about pistols but anyone that quotes a $450 price for an LCP is not in touch.

I have 2...paid $199 for one and $239 for the LCP Custom. My guess is that Ruger sells the LCP inexpensively to gain as much market share as possible. Plus, I am certain that there is an economy of scale to be able to lower the price point once a large sales volume has been reached. It is no secret that people want a really lightweight concealable firearm for a low cost. The LCP hits all of that. Don't be surprised if you see even more varieties of the same platform like the custom. Smart marketing on their part. People who own firearms advertise by word of mouth and social media (like here) and that market advertising costs Ruger nothing.

The more you sell....the more people talk about your product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Al said:
billt460 said:
I have 2...paid $199 for one and $239 for the LCP Custom.

Do you like the custom more? Is the trigger better? I doubt I would buy the Custom, but I am curious.
The only time I buy another gun I need to get rid of one. Really no more to get rid of..lol..unless I get rid of my Sigma .380. Since it is worth zero, I probably won't.

Quality wheel guns are expensive to manufacture...just look at the price Colt slaps on their single actions.

Comparing a Ruger single action to a Colt is like comparing a Ferrari to a Camaro. Colt builds their revolvers one at a time. They are all hand fit, and assembled, start to finish by a single gunsmith. It's why Colt Pythons are currently selling for north of $2,000.00 on the used market. Ruger revolvers are mass produced, and receive zero had fitting. Which explains why they can be had so much cheaper. That in itself doesn't make them "bad". It makes them what they are, a mass produced revolver. Hardly comparable to one that is hand assembled and fitted.

Quality wheel guns are expensive to manufacture...just look at the price Colt slaps on their single actions.

Comparing a Ruger single action to a Colt is like comparing a Ferrari to a Camaro. Colt builds their revolvers one at a time. They are all hand fit, and assembled, start to finish by a single gunsmith. It's why Colt Pythons are currently selling for north of $2,000.00 on the used market. Ruger revolvers are mass produced, and receive zero had fitting. Which explains why they can be had so much cheaper. That in itself doesn't make them "bad". It makes them what they are, a mass produced revolver. Hardly comparable to one that is hand assembled and fitted.

Colt doesn't make the python anymore and hasn't for well over a decade, hence why it is a collectors item, which adds significantly to the value and therefore is an irrelevant statement as we are talking NEW prices. There are lots of slapped together guns that sell for the same or more. Quality not the defining metric on used prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Al said:
billt460 said:
I have 2...paid $199 for one and $239 for the LCP Custom.

Do you like the custom more? Is the trigger better? I doubt I would buy the Custom, but I am curious.
The only time I buy another gun I need to get rid of one. Really no more to get rid of..lol..unless I get rid of my Sigma .380. Since it is worth zero, I probably won't.

Yeah, the custom has better sights and trigger and a SS rod. It's a slight difference but I only got two because I got one for the wife. I wouldn't trade one in for the custom.

I got the LCP because it is good past 100 yards....
lol.gif
lol.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVer9byr48

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back