Low oil level light on, but level not THAT low....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member owns a 2015 Jetta 1.8T. She asked me to check the oil as the "oil lamp" came on when starting the car. I checked the level and it was a maybe a smidge above the bottom cross hatching on the dipstick, so I am thinking it may be about 7/8 quart low. After checking the oil level I started the car and did indeed see the illuminated yellow oil lamp warning so I checked the manual and found that this means low oil level. The manual did not however mention how low the oil would have to be before this warning came on. So I guess I am asking, is less than 1 quart low enough to trigger a low oil light, or even be concerned? When she asked me to check it I told her not to drive it until I could check it out. Once I saw it was low I told her to pick up a quart of either M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 / 5w40. She said she will top it off tomorrow so we will see what happens then I suppose.

I'd say around a quart low is the PERFECT time for the oil light to come on. Most cars wait until there's barely any oil left to turn the idiot light on and by that time, major damage is done.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
7/8 ?

And you don't think the light should be on.

No, not really. At that point is still has 5 quarts left in the sump. Like the other poster said though, I guess thats a good time for it to come on as its near the "add" line and most people never check their oil. Its just most cars with these oil level sensors don't tell you until its pretty low so I figured this would be similar.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'd say around a quart low is the PERFECT time for the oil light to come on. Most cars wait until there's barely any oil left to turn the idiot light on and by that time, major damage is done.

Agreed. Back in the 70's the oil light came on about 3 seconds before your engine grenaded and launched pistons and connecting rods down the highway.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
7/8 ?

And you don't think the light should be on.

No, not really. At that point is still has 5 quarts left in the sump. Like the other poster said though, I guess thats a good time for it to come on as its near the "add" line and most people never check their oil. Its just most cars with these oil level sensors don't tell you until its pretty low so I figured this would be similar.

With a 10k interval on a turbo engine, a sump that is not full will lead to sludge. Best to be conservative, which is what it seems VW has done here; before it gets to "add" it tells you it is low so you CAN add before it gets there.

IMO Ford set it up good, better safe than sorry. I'd top that bad boy up if it was down between 8-16 ounces. Once the hood is up there's no point in closing it if the engine needs a little oil.

I'd say around a quart low is the PERFECT time for the oil light to come on. ...

Low oil light - YEP.

How does a BITOG'er not have a quart for his girlfriends car?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A car that is only a year old burns that much oil?

The small displacement, turbocharged VW/Audi engines have, well, a reputation......

1 quart low is very reasonable. It lights up well be engine damage can occur. This is against my better judgement, but one could just about drive until the light comes on and top off as needed (dummy proof.)

I think VW intentionally designed these things to consume oil. I like VW/ Audi, but this oil consumption would drive me insane.

10k OCI's, but the low oil light comes on around half that.. then folks think it needs changed.

This way, they get more service sales at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
How does a BITOG'er not have a quart for his girlfriends car?

I have 1 quart M1 0w40 of oil along with a quart of Yoda T-IV ATF for her car.

If I use PYB, my Jeep has no noticeable consumption, but if I needed a top-off, I could use hers.

The ATF isnt reverse compatable so I have my own. (Castrol ATF+4)

I also have tools, funnels, and shop towels.
smile.gif

That's not a "low oil" light, it's a "low oil pressure" light. Very different. You can have low oil pressure with a full load of oil.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
That's not a "low oil" light, it's a "low oil pressure" light. Very different. You can have low oil pressure with a full load of oil.

robert

Yellow lamp is level.

Red lamp with audible warning is pressure.

That engine holds 5.8 quarts. My wife and I have turbocharged VAG's that consume oil, but it's no more than 1/2 a quart at 5K-7.5K OCI's, I don't care.

Yes, modern VW's and Audi's have an oil level sensor in addition to an oil pressure sensor. Her car might have good oil pressure and just need the oil topped off.
What is worrying is that she said "I'll top it off tomorrow and see what happens". So is she staying home today?

How does the low oil level light determine if you are parked on the level ground so that it can avoid falsely triggering?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Agreed. Back in the 70's the oil light came on about 3 seconds before your engine grenaded and launched pistons and connecting rods down the highway.

The oil light in the 70's operated off of a pressure switch attached to the oil galley. If it came on, you had no oil flowing at all.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That engine holds 5.8 quarts. My wife and I have turbocharged VAG's that consume oil, but it's no more than 1/2 a quart at 5K-7.5K OCI's, I don't care.

Yes, modern VW's and Audi's have an oil level sensor in addition to an oil pressure sensor. Her car might have good oil pressure and just need the oil topped off.
What is worrying is that she said "I'll top it off tomorrow and see what happens". So is she staying home today?

No the car is staying parked until topped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back