How come discount tire doesn't use jack stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just use two or four floor jacks if they need to raise a vehicle. Maybe it's just my truck that they do it with, but I've seen them have my truck on four floor jacks at least three times. I would think that would be a serious insurance liability issue. Grant it they aren't on floor jacks for more than maybe 10 or 15 minutes, but I thought floor jacks were only used for lifting?

This must be why there's a local tire place that advertises "we don't just put your car on jacks and throw on some tires, we use a lift and do a thorough inspection of your vehicle."

Just had my tires rotated in the RAV4 at Discount Tire, they used a little lift to get the car up about 2 feet in the air so they could rotate the tires. Did not see any cars jacked up with standard jacks.

Originally Posted By: John_K
This must be why there's a local tire place that advertises "we don't just put your car on jacks and throw on some tires, we use a lift and do a thorough inspection of your vehicle."

+1, I've heard that radio ad!

No way I'd let any shop pick up my car that way. Without lifting pads, stuff can get bent/damaged. If a shop is using a hydraulic jack willy-nilly, I avoid it.

For cars they usually use the lift which supports the entire car from the bottom.

It's usually taller trucks they use floor jacks under the axles.

Originally Posted By: John_K

Which is the opposite of what I want from a tire shop. A tire shop is for...tires. I want them to excel at selecting, installing and caring for tires. I don't need nor want a thorough vehicle inspection from a tire shop.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
For cars they usually use the lift which supports the entire car from the bottom.

^^^ This

UPDATE! The TV commercial is a cut from this video starting at 5:38

Tire Discounters has that TV spot. They are more expensive than Discount Tire.
They are marketing themselves for their quality workmanship.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

^^^ This
+1

As a general rule this is how DT works. With the one puncture I had about a month or so ago and one new tire mount they used a floor jack on that one tire. Used the jack point and I had no damage. Same thing I'd have done if I had the HF floor jack out on the highway recently with a flat tire.

But if you don't like it there's lots of indy tire places, go there. Of course, my closest indy uses floor jacks regularly and unlike DT they don't torque lugs to spec with installation. The latter is completely unacceptable to me.

Tire Discounters is based in Cincinnati...stores are popping up all over the place. Their pricing is such that I have NEVER bought anything from them. They try to muddy the waters with a "free alignment with any tire purchase...even one", but if I don't want or need an alignment, what's the point?? I can't address how they lift cars because I've never watched what they do.

Yup. My truck gets floor jacks, my wife's car get the lift.
As said, nobody is under the vehicle, so jacks are not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back