SAFETY ?: ramps in rear and jack stands in front

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have my AWD CX-9 on ramps for the rear axle and jack stands for the front - if I put it in neutral and rotate the front wheels by hand will the rear tires want to spin also?

I ask because I want to do a "good" vacuum and fill of it's transfer case and the service bulletin says to do a vac & fill 3x's while rotating the front wheels 3 rotations by hand in between each baccarat & fill. But this is on a lift in a shop. I'm a DYI'er in a garage.

My concern is safety and that even with chalking the rear wheels and having the parking brake engage that the car might want to roll when I try to rotate the front wheels by hand.

The AWD makes this one more difficult.

Why not two sets of jackstands?

Or I suspect the vehicle is pretty high up as-is, why not just drive up on some 2x10s with a front end angled.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The AWD makes this one more difficult.

Why not two sets of jackstands?

I only have one set and along with the one set of ramps. But good point, I can buy some more.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Or I suspect the vehicle is pretty high up as-is, why not just drive up on some 2x10s with a front end angled.

That's a good idea. I was trying to keep the car level when filling the transfercase but I imagine that it wouldn't matter that much as long as it's not at an extreme angle.

I do not believe the rear wheels will turn unless the vehicle is on, as the CX-9 uses an electronic power take off system to send drive to the rear axle when slippage is detected. The PTO and transfer case have historically been the weak spots in the AWD and many have been replaced under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Veilside
I do not believe the rear wheels will turn unless the vehicle is on, as the CX-9 uses an electronic power take off system to send drive to the rear axle when slippage is detected. The PTO and transfer case have historically been the weak spots in the AWD and many have been replaced under warranty.

Correct. It's essentially the same system Ford uses. It's not really a transfer case. The PTU turns all the time, but the rear free wheels until the computer calls for the rear electric clutch to engage.

Stay on top of the PTU on these vehicles. The oil capacity is inadequate for the heat/stress. Newer models have a drain. My 2011 Explorer doesn't, requiring a Mity Vac. When I changed the factory fill (which is considered "lifetime" BTW), it was some of the worst looking sludge I've ever pulled out of a diff. I use Amsoil 75W-140.

See my post below for a write up.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/inde...3/#post-3541109

Last edited:
Regardless of whether the rear wheels are fully engaged or not, you will not be able to overcome a functional parking brake by trying to turn the front wheels by hand.

It's plenty safe, don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back