Who manufactures Subaru motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is only a finite number of refineries in the world. For the record, I am a Royal Purple guy, and have been running it in my Mustang GT and motorcycle (Honda CBR 954rr) for many years, but I digress. However, I recently purchased a 2016 Subaru Forester XT for my wife and I get 2 years of free maintenance. After a little research, I discovered that Subaru has their own line of motor oil, just like Ford has a Motorcraft line of oil. However, no amount of online research states who actually refines (manufactures) Subaru motor oil, specifically their synthetic oil. I have hear that is is manufactured by Pennzoil. Does anyone know with any certainty?

I believe it's Idemitsu now, and was previously Shell. At least, that's how it was when I bought some in 2014.

^agree with crazyoildude. They use whatever is cheaper in bulk. Most of the time it is Citgo. I know a BMW dealership that sells BMW branded oil in parts department, but when customers come in for an oil change - they get Citgo 5w40 out of the hose.

Bandito is correct Idemitsu it is. Not too long ago a guy was selling Subaru brand oil and I bought 5 or 6 quarts for $17 and on the back it said Idemitsu.This guy had free oil changes but preferred M1 so he was giving the Service Adviser the M1 and taking the Subaru oil and selling on Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back