2016 Tacoma 3.5L V6 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I've been eye balling some potential 4x4s that I would be considering looking at later on down the road as a new truck. Lately I've been talking and looking a lot at the 2015 F150 FX4. Well the last couple days have been centered around the 2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 3.5L with the manual trans. And it has a lot going for itself as far as what I'm looking for in terms of fuel economy and affordability. The ford is about $4k more in its package versus the Toyota which sits about $8k lighter for the package I'm looking at.

The Toyota wins in category of:
Affordability, fuel economy.

Ford wins in:
Interior room, more HP and towing capability(V8)

I wouldn't be towing anything except maybe a Jon boat and trailer or firewood at best and the bells and whistles of touch screen this or power that isn't a matter of concern because I'm perfectly fine with hand rolling the Windows and such. If you guys have any experience particularly with the Tacoma could you elaborate on the highs and lows please? I've researched the ford six ways from Sunday so I pretty well just need i for on the Tacoma such as is it hard on oil? Especially seeing as it is recommended 0w-20? Any mechanical issues that have surfaced?

I think the only negatives with it are the pros you mentioned for the Ford. It was just updated so won't be too long in the tooth. The dealer probably won't deal with you much on the price. One reason their resale is so high is because they're so solid. If it's the same price as the Ford then I'd get the F150. You seem to get more for your buck with the Ford. Drive both and see what appeals to you.

Have you done your homework on negotiated prices? I'm guessing you have. Ford/GM/Ram full size trucks are heavily discounted off the sticker price unlike Toyota.

Click photo to enlarge:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Have you done your homework on negotiated prices? I'm guessing you have. Ford/GM/Ram full size trucks are heavily discounted off the sticker price unlike Toyota.

Click photo to enlarge:

Yup. Also search for secret manufacturer bonus money to dealerships. The dealer often has more leeway in price than they let on because they might have unadvertised programs with the factory as an incentive to discount cars that is potential money to play with over and above discounting off the mark up and hold back. It becomes profit if you don't push them...

I've never looked at it from that point of view before. Or never really knew to look at it like that at all, but I do know what my budget is and will be though. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
I've never looked at it from that point of view before. Or never really knew to look at it like that at all, but I do know what my budget is and will be though. Thanks guys!

Just don't let them get you to only focus on the monthly payment. Make sure you're getting a good deal and they're getting a fair profit...

Tell the dealer to make their money on the next schmuck that comes walking in. Dealers receive a six figure bonus from the manufacturer for selling a certain amount of units. So right around this time of year they should be getting close. And by six figure I mean around $250-$300k. So yeah don't be afraid to push them.

I've got a 2012 Tacoma. The seating position in Toyotas puts you closer to the floor with your feet out in front of you like in a car. Also, they're a noiser inside and have a relatively rougher ride than a full size.

Tacoma to F150 is apples to oranges. A mini-mid size truck vs a low-end fullsize.

I love the concept of a 4x4, MT, V6 truck, even if the tacomas are overpriced (IMO) for what they are.

I think the big question is fit and comfort. My S-10 is small. The last Tacoma I sat in (long ago) was smaller, and stuff like the brake release lever were in terrible places. If it fits, I think its a great option. Better if it had a diesel...

I really wanted the Toyota a few years ago bit I got a used 1/2 ton Chevy crew cab 4x4 used for about 8k less than the used Tacoma. Sure the Toyota was built better but I'd never go back. I love the full size room in the cab and bed.

My Canyon was a bit noisy - one afternoon & $300 later, way quieter.
Did doors, easy part of floors, and rear panel with one layer DynaMat plus one layer closed cell foam
(all peel and stick) ...

Here in the Northeast, Tacomas have a rust problem. The frames sometimes rust-through, and Toyota will impound the vehicle, deeming it to be too hazardous to be on the road. They've also had issues with breaking rear leaf springs because of bad metallurgy. A good friend of mine drives a Tacoma 4x4, and it has been super reliable from a mechanical standpoint; however, he's not pleased with a rusty rear bumper, peeling alloy wheels, broken leaf spring (covered under warranty), and a recall to have the frame inspected and "rust-roofed" (at no cost).

I find that Google spins the way the press wants them to spin. I can type "recall" and it is GM, GM, blah, blah ...

You have to work hard to see how many Toyota has had - millions and millions ...
Not sure where VW will land when the fraud deal is over ...

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
I've got a 2012 Tacoma. The seating position in Toyotas puts you closer to the floor with your feet out in front of you like in a car. Also, they're a noiser inside and have a relatively rougher ride than a full size.

The 2016 Tacoma is heavily revised from the '05-'15 models. The 2016 is much quieter driving down the highway than previous models.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I find that Google spins the way the press wants them to spin. I can type "recall" and it is GM, GM, blah, blah ...

You have to work hard to see how many Toyota has had - millions and millions ...
Not sure where VW will land when the fraud deal is over ...

I've never understood why people get so concerned about a recall.
To me, it would seem that a problem was found and then fixed at no cost.
Sounds a whole lot better than having a vehicle with an issue that the manufacturer won't address.

My 2000 Tundra had the frame replaced under a recall.
I brought it in after making an appointment time that I chose, they deemed frame replacement necessary, and sent me home in a new Sienna that had a total of 70 miles on it.

A month later, after parts arrived and frame swap was completed, I drove back in the Sienna and got my truck.
Immediatly I noticed the truck had less squeaks and rattles, sat about an inch higher, and handled like an F1 car compared to when I brought it in.
Now, 3 and a half years later, it's still fine, no problems.

Recalls don't bother me.
NOT getting recalled when there's an obvious defect does though.

I can't say whether or not a recall issue from any dealer or manufacturer is something I have experience with. The closest I can say is my brother had an early 2000s model T100 4x4, that in 2007, was recalled due to a steering issue I believe. I was heavily surprised that 7(approximately) years later they had no issues fixing what was recalled. Not saying other brands wouldn't, but awesome all the same for Toyota IMO. I'm going to continue my research for this truck and keep you guys updated with the info. Thanks!

Not my point at all - fully support recalls. Other threads at the same time invoked GM recalls in a negative manner - sorry, got to me a bit. That Tacoma frame rot ? - complaints from those who got inspected, passed, failed later - no help.
They all have issues, deal with them, come back with something better - guy at work was bragging how great MB was at fixing issues on his AMG63! OK - hope $o.
BTW - this site by far not the worst at bashing what someone else supports.
(Well, except maybe the Tribol Chiefs when they get to shear stressing thier points.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
I can't say whether or not a recall issue from any dealer or manufacturer is something I have experience with. The closest I can say is my brother had an early 2000s model T100 4x4, that in 2007, was recalled due to a steering issue I believe. I was heavily surprised that 7(approximately) years later they had no issues fixing what was recalled. Not saying other brands wouldn't, but awesome all the same for Toyota IMO. I'm going to continue my research for this truck and keep you guys updated with the info. Thanks!

Generally, unless there's some kind of time restriction or eligibility restriction, an open recall is an open recall and should be completed. The dealer I work at has performed a wiper pulse board recall on a 20 year old C/K truck within the last month...and we had the part in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back