Question on 05 Nissan tranny w/120k

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's trans is an auto in her sentra. SheS had it since day one, no issues. But it has 120k on it now, and I noticed when put in gear, if feels a bit more rough now days. Everything else is good... Is there an additive that would help? It's never been flushed and I'm afraid of a drain and or flush now days.

What y'all think?

So I'm guessing it's on the original ATF? What's so scary about a drain & fill?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
So I'm guessing it's on the original ATF? What's so scary about a drain & fill?

+1 time for a drain and fill. What fluid does it call for?

No, on a flush. Yes, to a simple 3 quart drain and fill. Honda recommends this over flushes for their transmissions. Since a flush can cause particulate to clog one of the many small internal passages in the trans. You can do 3 of them spaced out every 500 miles at least to get slow, gentle clean through the unit. A quart of Lubegard Red is good but even for that you have to drain some out similar to a drain and fill.

Does it have a drain plug? My 3000GT (the one I had with an auto tranny) actually had a drain plug. I wish all auto trannies were like that.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
It may not have a drain plug... I'm paranoid about drain and fill and end up smoking the trans.

Then you can stay the current course and drive until
15.gif

Yes, Lubeguard Red can help. It's full of additives that can refresh the atf that's currently in there. There was a thread about it on here the other day.

Do a bit of research - how much can be drained and how ? and compare to net capacity.
Can only change around 40% on truck at drain plug - but Cruze will dump all at drain plug ...

Says about 5wts from about 9-11. I honestly can't find much in her capacity. It's an 05 auto 2.5l sentra

Nissan-Matic D is nothing special, just Nissan's name for Dexron III. Maxlife would be the best option for this car.

If you don't have one - Google up an owners manual - they tend to be PDF ...
Capacities are in the OM ... 7 qts sound right ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
My wife's trans is an auto in her sentra. SheS had it since day one, no issues. But it has 120k on it now, and I noticed when put in gear, if feels a bit more rough now days. Everything else is good... Is there an additive that would help? It's never been flushed and I'm afraid of a drain and or flush now days.

What y'all think?

Check the tranny/motor mounts first.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nissan-Matic D is nothing special, just Nissan's name for Dexron III. Maxlife would be the best option for this car.

True dat. I'm running MaxLife in my Infiniti ATM, which is spec'd for Matic-D. Car loves it.

My wifes last minivan was a 2000 Quest that called for Matic D. I tried Maxlife ATF and while it worked, I found the shifting to be a little harsh (kind if a firm jerk into overdrive). I had good luck with Valvoline multi vehicle Import ATF.
Many others on here have posted good results with Maxlife in their Nissans, so maybe mine was just picky?

I would try a drain and fill and see if there was an improvement. When I used to work at a Nissan dealer, we recommended drain and fills every 30k in the Matic D transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back