bigger longer of FL820s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several companies make them. Baldwin and Wix for sure. I forget the numbers but I'm sure someone will be along.

I think the only reason they shortened the Motorcraft filter is on some fords (like my Moms Grand Marquis) there is really little room to maneuver a new filter into the tight space.. I believe the fram Ultra is like the old long version of the motorcraft. I once asked a top ford tech about that and he was clueless and admitted it.. He said kidding around it must be another fine idea by ford..lol
Im using the ultra next oil change because i think its a better filter.

Yes, the Grand Marquis needs the newer shorter version of the filter. It is a tight squeeze to work the old one out and the new one in. The WIX 51372 will fit the Grand Marquis also.

Fram's interchange is 2 (PH2/TG2/XG2)

The PH2 may be the original longer length. Same with the Wix 51372.

Ford did the same thing with their FL400s, which interchanges with Fram 3600 and Wix 51516. The new 400S is shorter than it used to be, but the Wix and Fram counterparts are the original longer length.

WIX published a TSB on the 51372 stating there was a height change. They do not state what the old height was. The current height is 3.836" or 97mm. The PH2 height is 3.984" per the Fram website.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i never really liked a longer filter i always thought there was more room for filter damage and oil loss..

I don't think I would want to put a filter longer than an fl820s on my 5.4 F150 as it is already such a major pain in the arse to get it in there but for the jeep 4.0 there is all the room in the world :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back