Refrigerator top light not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even after swapping light bulb socket and light bulb.

GE Profile refrigerator TFH24PR, made in 94. It still works well so I'd prefer to fix it instead of replacing it. I saw a spark yesterday and the top light goes out. The bottom one still works. I swapped light bulbs, nothing changes. I swapped the light sockets, nothing changes either. I searched on appliance parts pro but I do not see any relay between the door switch and the light sockets.

Any suggestion?

Last edited:
There should be a switch for the top light at the door.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that about once a year or so will start to run at 45f. It is a connector in the wire loom in the bottom refrigerated section. All I ever have to do to fix it is pull the connector apart and plug it back in. The thermostat will call of cooling but the connector opens below 45f so that's all the colder it ever gets until fixed.

Did you see if there is voltage in the socket?
Otherwise, I am assuming this light turns on when door is opened, you may need to check/replace that trigger switch.

The switch is working, because the bottom light is working.

The sockets are working, I swapped them between top and bottom lights and the top one is still not working / bottom one is still working.

I just couldn't figure out what else (short may be the case but how to trouble shoot?).

You've swapped the sockets around, but have you actually tested for power at the top socket with a voltage tester?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Shouldn't the top and bottom have separate door switches? Mine does.

I should have mentioned it better: this is a side by side door refrigerator and on the refrigeration side (not freezer) there are 2 lights. The top one stopped working but the bottom one still works. The are only 1 door switch that I can see and I assume it is working because the bottom light works.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
You've swapped the sockets around, but have you actually tested for power at the top socket with a voltage tester?

I haven't yet, i'm not very good at pointing a probe at the middle of the socket without shorting it to the side and cause more damage. I might spend some time this weekend trying to check for continuity between the top and bottom sockets to see if something blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back