New VW vs Used Honda......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13

for honda 300k+ recs, please see futuredoc rant from 2 days ago: they may not be what they where....

They never were that great. Average at best....

Originally Posted By: Delta
Ah the old VW threads in BITOG. They typically go all the same anti-VW way. My personal ownership of a VW has been nothing but positive, and honestly I don't follow maintenance exactly to the book. Not one single thing wrong (a set of tires, battery, and oil changes) in 3+ years and 30K miles. It only gets driven on the weekends nowadays, but a great car for these steep and twisty mountains. IMO if you like the car get it; most here will be naysayers. Those people either never owned one (cousins sister brothers uncle owned one kinda stuff) or picked up the occasional lemon that can happen in any brand. Do yourself a favor though; if you don't mind it, go with the manual. So much more fun and really enhances the VW driving experience.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!
spankme2.gif

My mother in law has Honda Pilot (2009) with 60K.
- Two sets of front rotors
- Transfer case
- Engine mount.
- VCM issues
They had 2004 Pilot that they gave to other son in law.
Now has 120K and smokes like Pittsburgh steel factories in "good ole days."

I had numerous VW's in Bosnia, and in the U.S.:
- 2005 VW Passat 1.8T. Got it in 2009 with 30K, sold it with 105K. Replaced from wheel bearing (CPO covered) and that is it.
- 2010 VW CC. Bough it in 2012 with 24K, traded for BMW X5 when it had 97K. NEVER changed anything except tires, oil, pads.
- 2011 Tiguan bough in 2013 with 36K, now has 60 K, only oil changes.

In Bosnia, I had three Skoda Octavias (VW Jetta) with TDI engines that made more then 250K (miles). One had failed turbo, but that was because bad Slovenian fuel (I blame Melania Trump for that:)).
As someone who likes to actually drive, I am not sure how I could live with Honda's interior, CVT transmission which is crime against engineering.
But it is Honda you know, can make million miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
No way Jose. 2 years old means you're gonna need to put new tires on it a lot sooner than another car.

I'm sure you've seen my VW posts on here before. I actually for the most part like the way they drive and have no doubt about their longevity, the problem is it takes a lot of $$$ to keep them going and get a long life out of them.

Really consider looking into a new Hyundai Sonata. IMO, they're one of the best looking cars out there (in a reasonable price range). 10 year/100k mile warranty too. Their reliability is fantastic as well.

Here's one for just under $17k, it's a 2016.

Sonata Link

I rented a Sonata not too long ago and had it for nearly a week when our Sienna went belly up. I would not trade my 2007 Passat for it.

My wife and I we're fighting over who gets to drive the 9 year old VW and she isn't even a car person. But even she could tell which car was more fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am just throwing this out there for your honest options. I have had my Accord since last August, and it should be paid off this August. I am just toying with the idea of trading the Accord for a new VW. After diesel gate their prices have dropped and they can be had for some really decent prices. I am in contact with a rep from a local VW dealer now. The main reason I would be interested is if I can get into a new VW for maybe $2000 or less out of my pocket, which honestly could be possible. Then I would have a new car with 0 (or close to it) miles on it. Which brings up questions like, will my near 40K mile Honda be more reliable than a new VW? I am a Honda fan through and through, but I am also a VW fan as well. They have nice driving dynamics and pull some great MPG numbers with their nearly all turbo line up. Our local dealer also seems to treat its customers very well which is always a plus. I have limited long term experience with VW's my girlfriend owns a 2014 Jetta 1.8T and its a fun little car. It has just under 20K miles on it and has had a couple "annoyances". The drivers door lock squeaks at random, the screen in the instrument cluster partially goes out at random (only has happened a handful of times) and the key sometimes would get stuck in the ignition (which was recently fixed under warranty) no hassle. I have had two other dealings with VW, all from the same family. A 2013 Passat which only had one problem that I know of, the drivers door lock would randomly lock and unlock while driving...and a 2015 Jetta that has no issues to date. All of these are still young so like I said my experience is limited. I just love them for their driving dynamics and simple german styling and behavior. So if any of you have owned them longterm please feel free to comment. I know historically they are not the most reliable vehicles compared to Honda / Toyota but I am assuming they have came a long way since those times as many companies have. Again folks, this is only assuming I can get into one for cheap, I have no desire to have a car payment for any length of time. Thanks in advance!

Edit: throwing another car into the mix...the dealership has a NEW 2014 Passat Wolfsburg edition with the 1.8T. So its been sitting for 2 years (no doubt with the occasional test drive). I sent the rep an email and he said he will get pricing into tomorrow for me. I imagine the Passat being VW flagship sedan would be more reliable the the Jetta, its baby sister.

A 2014 sitting unsold on the lot should tell you something. You seemed so enamored of your Accord earlier, despite its problems, which I thin you've gotten taken care of, correct? You won't see any 2014 Accords sitting unsold on the lot. If you care at all about resale and overall cost of ownership, this is a non-starter (no pun intended).

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I am just throwing this out there for your honest options. I have had my Accord since last August, and it should be paid off this August. I am just toying with the idea of trading the Accord for a new VW. After diesel gate their prices have dropped and they can be had for some really decent prices. I am in contact with a rep from a local VW dealer now. The main reason I would be interested is if I can get into a new VW for maybe $2000 or less out of my pocket, which honestly could be possible. Then I would have a new car with 0 (or close to it) miles on it. Which brings up questions like, will my near 40K mile Honda be more reliable than a new VW? I am a Honda fan through and through, but I am also a VW fan as well. They have nice driving dynamics and pull some great MPG numbers with their nearly all turbo line up. Our local dealer also seems to treat its customers very well which is always a plus. I have limited long term experience with VW's my girlfriend owns a 2014 Jetta 1.8T and its a fun little car. It has just under 20K miles on it and has had a couple "annoyances". The drivers door lock squeaks at random, the screen in the instrument cluster partially goes out at random (only has happened a handful of times) and the key sometimes would get stuck in the ignition (which was recently fixed under warranty) no hassle. I have had two other dealings with VW, all from the same family. A 2013 Passat which only had one problem that I know of, the drivers door lock would randomly lock and unlock while driving...and a 2015 Jetta that has no issues to date. All of these are still young so like I said my experience is limited. I just love them for their driving dynamics and simple german styling and behavior. So if any of you have owned them longterm please feel free to comment. I know historically they are not the most reliable vehicles compared to Honda / Toyota but I am assuming they have came a long way since those times as many companies have. Again folks, this is only assuming I can get into one for cheap, I have no desire to have a car payment for any length of time. Thanks in advance!

Edit: throwing another car into the mix...the dealership has a NEW 2014 Passat Wolfsburg edition with the 1.8T. So its been sitting for 2 years (no doubt with the occasional test drive). I sent the rep an email and he said he will get pricing into tomorrow for me. I imagine the Passat being VW flagship sedan would be more reliable the the Jetta, its baby sister.

A 2014 sitting unsold on the lot should tell you something. You seemed so enamored of your Accord earlier, despite its problems, which I thin you've gotten taken care of, correct? You won't see any 2014 Accords sitting unsold on the lot. If you care at all about resale and overall cost of ownership, this is a non-starter (no pun intended).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Accord! I just came across this Passat at it looks like a steal. Thought if I could get into it for cheap it might be a smart decision as I would have a new car for maybe only 2ish more months of car payments.
UPDATE: I am still in contact with the dealer and have them down to $14,900 for the 2014 Passat Wolfsburg 1.8 TSI. For those who haven't been following this is a NEW car thats been sitting on the lot. My current ride is a 2012 Accord with just a hair under 40K miles. For this price is there anyone who would take the VW over the current Accord? Feedback so far has been mostly for the Accord, which honestly I am leaning toward as well. Still want to hear from you BITOG'ers. What would you do if you had this opportunity?

That's a great price, but it'll need $600-$700 in tires sooner than any other car because they'll age out, especially since you don't put very many miles on your cars. Also a battery that much sooner, depending on the manufacture date of that car it could actually be 3 years old. $200 batteries at the dealer. Don't VWs have to have a special programming with the new batteries too?

I think you'd be trading it in before the 3 year warranty is up and tired of all the things being replaced under warranty.

I've got the itch for a newer car too, and I'm gonna try to make it a year and maybe pick up a 2014+ Sonata.

Accord? Sonata? Passat? All are for blue haired old ladies. Buy a Challenger R/T or a truck. No reason to drive a FWD sled in Florida.

No offense but you post very ocd posts about your Accord. The quality bar of Jetta/golf is lower. I will state though vw Passat has very high ratings on consumer reports.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Accord! I just came across this Passat at it looks like a steal. Thought if I could get into it for cheap it might be a smart decision as I would have a new car for maybe only 2ish more months of car payments.
UPDATE: I am still in contact with the dealer and have them down to $14,900 for the 2014 Passat Wolfsburg 1.8 TSI. For those who haven't been following this is a NEW car thats been sitting on the lot. My current ride is a 2012 Accord with just a hair under 40K miles. For this price is there anyone who would take the VW over the current Accord? Feedback so far has been mostly for the Accord, which honestly I am leaning toward as well. Still want to hear from you BITOG'ers. What would you do if you had this opportunity?

Is that the out the door price? If not, you are looking at taxes and fees which adds over 1k. Trading the Honda in will save on taxes but then they may not give you what it's worth.

I dunno. I think if you love your Honda, just keep it. The new car high usually goes away after a short time and you will be back on the market again. You sound like a candidate for a lease rather than ownership.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I know I'm in the minority and clearly biased, just see my screen name.

I'd take the VW no question.

I would too in a straight trade.

But I'm not sure this is a smart financial move. I just think shopping deals rather than buying a car that you need will lead to long term financial disaster unless you are rich enough to just burn money.

For this price is there anyone who would take the VW over the current Accord?

If the Passat had a manual trans and was more fun to drive than the Accord, then I would. But I haven't driven either one, so I couldn't really tell until I did.

The new Passat looks pretty big, so I'm a bit skeptical about its handling capabilities, but I may certainly be wrong. In this segment, I've heard the new Mazda6 handles quite well.

For a fun-to-drive commuter, I'd probably look at the new Golf instead. The hatch is very practical.

At this point unless they come back and offer a screaming good deal I'll keep the Accord. I love it, it's a great car, and statistically it should hold up in the long run better than the VW. Looking on various sources the current gen Passat seems to do well reliability speaking but it's still unknown how it will hold up in the long term. Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I would too in a straight trade.

I think the OP paid around $18k for the used Accord a year ago. Less his trade of only $3500 for the 06 Accord that was in mint condition. So yes I would shoot for an even trade as well. Maybe start asking the dealer for $2500 cash back on his side. Then end up at even trade.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
For this price is there anyone who would take the VW over the current Accord?

If the Passat had a manual trans and was more fun to drive than the Accord, then I would. But I haven't driven either one, so I couldn't really tell until I did.

The new Passat looks pretty big, so I'm a bit skeptical about its handling capabilities, but I may certainly be wrong. In this segment, I've heard the new Mazda6 handles quite well.

For a fun-to-drive commuter, I'd probably look at the new Golf instead. The hatch is very practical.

I've driven both and they both drive great IMO especially considering their size. The Accord has better steering feel though.

A lot does depend on the model for me. If the Passat is like the 2012 I drove, then yes it does drive like a big boat. The Jetta has insane amounts of leg room and has probably the best side and rear visibility I've seen in a new vehicle. I personally would chose a Jetta over a Passat for those reasons, and that it is just a little more enjoyable to drive.

I would take a Golf over either of the two of the deal is right. I saw a left over 2015 Golf manual trans on a lot for $16,200. They really have fantastic interiors for the money. Well above anything in its class.

I've always felt the more bells and whistles you get with VW, the more down the road problems you get. I would go as basic as possible without being restricted. And if you keep it long term I'd opt in for an extended warranty. Things can add up quick after the 3yr/36,000

While Honda may not be what it once was...but in terms of reliability, I am of the opinion that they are still way above any VW....even with 40k miles.

But...if you like the VW and how it drives and don't mind an occasional fix or dealer issue....get an extended warranty and buy one. So what if it has an issue now and then. Just make sure you are covered.

I had a 100K, 7 year extended warranty on my 07 passat and never used it. Not a single non-maintenance problem after a few initial parts were recalled and replaced. I did have to replace the cam follower preemptively which cost me $45 and about two hours out of my Saturday. And this was supposedly one of the least reliable years with the problematic FSI 2.0T engine.

To me sacrificing everyday enjoyment so that you can avoid a couple hundred dollars and one to two extra visits to the dealership per year is like not riding a horse because you might fall off. I don't get that mentality but it seems pervasive when it comes to cars.

In any case, it sounds like Greg loves his Accord, likes the way it drives. I don't see any reason not to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back