2016 Impala rental 4cyl review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun I tried to find capacities, it's rated to tow 1000 lbs and you cannot find the max payload anywhere but based on other cars you were probably at or over max payload. Max torque @ 4400, max HP @ 6300.

My sister has a '15 V6 Impala and it's a very nice ride.

25 mpg in the city!? My sold Camry gets that with me commuting with a fair amount of city, and I drive it hard. It has no power at all, it's usually foot to the floor too. Gets mid 30's on the highway if I baby it. 31 if I drive it hard.

I can't believe they put a 4 cylinder in an Impala, why not the 2.0L Turbo that's in the Malibu?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Cujet
4 modern American men are way too much for this "full size" car.

While my initial impression was good, It did not take long to dislike this car. Mostly due to the 4 cylinder engine and the front suspension performance.

LOL. Code for + size guys?? I would have expected poor performance in a 3800lb full size car with 4 big guys and luggage and a 4 cylinder with 195 hp/ 187 ft/lb torque.
21.gif

That's why they make Tahoes!

Yeah, non of us are small. I'm the smallest at 210 pounds! The other guys and the boss are 6 foot 4.

Next time I rent an SUV!

The 4 cylinder may make 197HP somewhere, but the torque curve is meager for a full sized car. It never really gets going in the midrange. Pulling all that weight up hills feels like a struggle. A V6 would make a world of difference.

I do like the noise cancellation system. It was even fairly effective at redline. A good thing, as the engine spent plenty of time there.

210 is au point! And I'm not just saying that because I'm around 210....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had a V6 LTZ rental and thought it was a great car. Silent, really comfortable ride and a great interior. I thought it was a really nice car overall.

No way would I buy a car of that size with a 4 cylinder.

My daughter and husband bought a 2016 V6 Ltz with the 19" wheels.
Even at our mile high altitude where all cars lose 10% of their sea level horse power this car is a beast when you stick your foot in it.
And the ride is great over all but the roughest roads. Maybe its the 19" Goodyear's.
On good roads it feels like it doesn't have tires but 4 marshmallow walkers .
I really like the interior. Its as quiet as a tomb. They got the midnight edition. Lots of black.
The exterior I don't like as much. Its nice but not ooh and ahh nice.
It sure isn't as nice as the big Jaguar.

Last edited:
I drove a 4-cylinder Camry a few years ago...with 4 adults, one child, and a full trunk, it never struggled. 75-80 on the highway was no problem, and other than kicking down on a 5% grade (IIRC, 6-speed transmission), it never had any trouble. Note that despite kicking down, it held 75MPH with the cruise on! Bonus: I recall I averaged about 29MPG.

After owning a 4 cylinder I can say I'd never own one with a horsepower rating under 300hp again(so obviously turbo), even though I'd go for a v6 with 250ish on a light car. I get it, most people only need that power once in a blue moon. I like stomping on the gas pedal, hearing the world come to an end, and being pushed back into my seat though. I'm not quite old enough to have anywhere near enough money to buy myself a car, let alone a nice V6 or V8, but I will absolutely save until I can afford either an extremely powerful 4 cylinder or a v6 or v8. I even like the VR6 Golf R32 I drove, it only had about 250hp and 240lbft or something about there, which by today's (Nissan/Toyota/Honda) OMG STICK A V6 IN EVERYTHING standards is miniscule, it had a really nice dual clutch transmission and a very beautiful sound.

Last edited:
Rented several of these - great highway ride.
I rent often and find a great deal of the fleet under powered - they are buying cars based on the bottom line - right hand corner and nothing else.
Of course each rental company has a "fun section" for a few bucks more.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: horse123
I'm not quite old enough to have anywhere near enough money to buy myself a car,

Wait...what?

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: horse123
After owning a 4 cylinder I can say I'd never own one with a horsepower rating under 300hp again(so obviously turbo), even though I'd go for a v6 with 250ish on a light car. I get it, most people only need that power once in a blue moon. I like stomping on the gas pedal, hearing the world come to an end, and being pushed back into my seat though. I'm not quite old enough to have anywhere near enough money to buy myself a car, let alone a nice V6 or V8, but I will absolutely save until I can afford either an extremely powerful 4 cylinder or a v6 or v8. I even like the VR6 Golf R32 I drove, it only had about 250hp and 240lbft or something about there, which by today's (Nissan/Toyota/Honda) OMG STICK A V6 IN EVERYTHING standards is miniscule, it had a really nice dual clutch transmission and a very beautiful sound.

Go home, you're drunk.

I am fine for folks chase their own automotive dream/heaven but this is the "I don't know what I want" bonkers-absurdity. You like torque (really lower-range torque), not HP. There is a difference. I like absurd comedy so your are asking for a car in "extra medium"... clever.

A four-banger can be plenty. It comes down to weight and keeping momentum (knowing what you drive and how to drive). Put a 2.0L maybe 148hp engine in a car with a heavy 4-wheel drive system and you will be underwhelmed for the drag strip. Learn to use what you have. You will still eat up all those 5.7/6.1/6.4 HEMIs at an autocross even with you 2.0 impreza, so (again) learn to drive with momentum. I understand the lumpard four-pot issues as I have the bigger, slower Outback and I just hope that I can outrun half-charged electric wheelchairs in the case of zombies. I also have a 348bhp V6 Genny but my 3rd option (MR2) with a 138bhp Corolla engine is the most fun without a second thought. Give me a 4-banger with a decent power-range/gearing around town and I could trip every speed camera without really trying. I get it that you are a point-and-squirt driver but you say "no" to a 250hp four-banger but would say yes to 250bhp boat anchor-heavy V6 (confirming that I knew you were drunk). That R32 was 3,500+lbs... as heavy as my Genny, a 'stang, or even my Outback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back