rooftop insulation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a shingled roof. I want to apply something that will block the sun's heat. i've looked into solarflex, from Henry, and they say to NOT use it on this type roof. Anyone know what else I can use,besides tearing roof off and replacing it with other type?

Originally Posted By: Rand
put up solar panels?

Use energy savings to turn up A/C ?
I have 10 installed already,still hot.

There is reflective barrier that is like aluminum foil that you can staple to the rafters that seem to help a bit. And add more ventilation

Originally Posted By: JC1
ridge vents
Never heard of these. Just Googled it to see what it was. Looks like a good idea. Is this a diy project?

I had turbines, put in ridge vents, tore out ridge vents and put turbines back in. Just use the all aluminum turbine if you are going that route.

Stay away from stacking things together - a radiant barrier still needs an air gap for a complete system - radiant barrier and convective heat flow.
I stapled AstroFoil (double bubble, double foil) to the rafters - stopped 6" from ridge vents and "6 from soffit vents.
The other reason to do it this way is the foil works best clean & shiny - and gets dirty fast if used on attic floor.
About 20% better ...

They do during the day.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
ridge vents
Never heard of these. Just Googled it to see what it was. Looks like a good idea. Is this a diy project?

Yes you could install ridge vents yourself. I take it you have the other style vents which you would want to close off while doing the ridge vent.

You'll need to know how to remove shingles and patch the sheathing where the old vents are. Once that is patched you put new shinges over those patches and tie it into existing shingles.

Then for the ridge you just remove the ridge cap shingles and cut about 1 1/2 inches at each side sheathing of the peak of the roof where the ridge vent is. Then you nail the ridge vent overtop and then put the cap shingles on top of the ridge.

You can buy a cheap ridge cap at Home depot here is the link.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Cobra-3-1...18000/202052410

You can put these pieces back to back along the ridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU8wQyoevPw

look at youtube for other videos. You'll get the jist of it. I have a ridge vent installed in my 8*12 shed in my backyard and it keeps the temperature reasonable.

Here is a whole house fan.
https://www.amazon.com/Tamarack-Insulate...whole+house+fan

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20353533,00.html

Last edited:
ridge vents

It can be if you don't mind being up on the roof. You need a ridge vent and vented soffits. Air flows in through the soffits and exits out the ridge vent. If you don't have the vented soffits, it's like trying to suck air out of straw with your finger on the bottom of the straw, the air doesn't flow.

Kraft paper/foil radiant barrier works great. Have it in my garage attic. Spray on radiant barrier inside the house attic. Also have ridge vent and IR reflective shingles. Result? Attic temp is at max 10°F over outdoor ambient most of the time. You can also water your roof on excessively hot days to quickly cool it & your attic down.

The way I understand it for radiant heat barrier is to have some air space between the barrier and the roof decking.

The radiant heat barrier will reflect the heat that usually heats up the inside insulation.

You still need the proper air flow.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
You can also water your roof on excessively hot days to quickly cool it & your attic down.
Never thought of this. I'll try it soon.

You can also water your roof on excessively hot days to quickly cool it & your attic down.

Like this idea too...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
ridge vents

It can be if you don't mind being up on the roof. You need a ridge vent and vented soffits. Air flows in through the soffits and exits out the ridge vent. If you don't have vented soffits, it's like trying to suck air out of straw with your finger on the bottom of the straw, the air doesn't flow.

True, I forget that some houses don't have vented soffits.

As I understand it the ridge vent is suppose to pull air out like a venturi port in a carburetor. Mine would push air out the soffits when the wind was blowing.

My house is over 60 years old and in the two years I had the ridge vent I could tell it was not working right. You could smell the hot air. The old pine rafters got so hot the resin beaded up out of them.

One thing they had was an insect screen over the cut out opening. Very fine fabric.

My ridge vents point towards the south wind - so they are side drafted - might be getting a Venturi effect that way.
Had 8' spaced soffit vents - but doubled to 4' on the SW sides - then applied AstroFoil to rafters ...
Lots of vent skin construction in the south - so they might suck a bit of air from the base of the brick too ...

The point is to have the water hit the roof at the ridge, then roll down the shingles, absorbing heat. Spray all sides. You can also rig a simple sprinkler system from box store components. Water is much cheaper than electricity and evaporating water absorbs a lot of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back