Conoco Phillips Lubricants Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now they only need to work on their market coverage and get Kendall oils on more retail shelves.

Quite a list. In fact, too long of a list. Valvoline failed miserably with their re-refined, now P66 is offering one. 2 syn-blends, and 2 synthetics. Both synthetics are virtually identical, unlike SOPUS where Pennz has a GrpIII and GTL as their premium offering. I wonder how long this list will last in the market where P66 is like hens teeth to find anyway.

Last edited:
So will these "new bottles" of Kendall still have the security seal under the cap?

Kendall is tough enough to find already.... now even more complex offerings!!

Now will the "sleeper" oil go up in price?

I cannot see any good coming out of this, and ConocoPhillips is not doing so good, got layoffs and such!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Valvoline failed miserably with their re-refined, now P66 is offering one. 2 syn-blends, and 2 synthetics. Both synthetics are virtually identical, unlike SOPUS where Pennz has a GrpIII and GTL as their premium offering. I wonder how long this list will last in the market where P66 is like hens teeth to find anyway.

Valvoline failed because they spent millions of dollars on a product that the general public didn't want. I'm betting that Conoco-Phillips will just have the re-refined oil available (without much fanfare) for government agencies that demand it and the tree-huggers who feel like they are saving the earth by using it.
CP manufacture some good oils under different names because some people still use a certain brand just because their grandpa told them at it was a good oil back in 1947. All the different brands they sell are probably all packaged on the same assembly line, a practices used by lots of companies. Phillips 66 is a good oil for the price and just last night I used it for an oil change on a personal vehicle that I drive.
I just wonder now if I can still get Phillips 66 oil for $1.99/quart at my local Orscheln store.

I've been meaning to look at the Phillips 66 sites for any news but haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for bringing this to light!

Always appreciate the HTHS specs for their oils. Too bad the others wouldn't publish the same.

Last edited:
I see the new Shield Classic formula in 20w-50 only has .085% zinc. That's not very impressive for older car applications. So in the new lineup if you want old zinc levels of .12% you have to stick with the Kendall red bottle conventionals.

If re-refining makes economic sense (which it might not now) just blend it in with regular base stocks and make more profit.

I don't care where the streams of oil come from, as long as the finished product meets the specs on the bottle.

Last edited:
Most of the quality oil companies today have the security seal under their caps on their jugs.. There are a couple that don't and i am not sure why.. Maybe they don't fill all their jugs up all the way to save money (maybe millions) and when weights and measures and other consumer protection groups start asking questions they say "Oh Um It must have leaked out or something" Yeah!
I think for the most part although i am not an expert on oil jugs Mobil has the best and most secure jugs followed by Valvoline.

Kruse
If they make this oil and its very cheap in price it will sell if they make it and its expensive like valvoline it will sit on the shelf and be an effective dust collector.

How come the Phillips 66 Shield Classic 10W-40 and 20W-50 had the API starburst on them? Those grades aren't resource conserving.

I think I'd be more inclined to use the Kendall Competition, if it indeed had 1200 ppm of zinc.

That's a lot of products that seem to be competing against each other under the same brand name. What?

10W-40, 20W-50, 30, 40, and 50 PCMO's can be SN and have 1000 or more ppm ZDDP, and these oils don't carry the starburst, but do sometimes carry the API donut. Resource conserving applies more the respective grade, such as ILSAC grades 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30,and 10W-30. Point is, the 10W-40 and 20W-50 shouldn't have the "starburst" on the front label, as they aren't ILSAC, resource conserving grades.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Dan55
To simplify the difference SM is GF-4 SN is GF-5 http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/orig...derDiagram.html

But not all SM oils are GF-4 rated, and not all SN oils are GF-5 rated. The only oils that are GF rated are 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30. All other viscosities cannot be GF rated. So what are the differences between say, 10w-40 SM and 10w-40 SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back