Why PP and PU are not group IV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I pretty sure my topic has been discussed billions of times but I'm still learning things about oil and I didn't find anything conclusive to answer my question. For this, can someone provide me a link or explain to me why PU and PP are not belong to group IV despite both are made of natural gas ?

Thx.

Last edited:
Shell doesn't have any plants that produce Group IV base stock AFAIK. They bet on natural gas base stock which is still Group 3 because it's made from hydrocarbons.

Alpha olefins are made by Oligomerization of Ethylene (Which is Surprise! a hydrocarbon.)

Then they polymerize alpha olefins to get Poly Alpha Olefins. Making PAO is a multi step process that requires energy among other resources. That is why it is expensive, not because the basic material is so exotic.

Also, if you mix ethylene with water you get ethanol, aka booze. Ethylene is good stuff...

Originally Posted By: ST2008
I just watch this video and he stated that the PAO is made of natural gas.

It's not just about the starting ingredients. It's the process that the ingredients undergo afterwards that make it PAO.

All motor oil is hydrocarbons. Do we really care whether they are severely hydro processed down to a desired chain length, or built up from simpler molecules...

Originally Posted By: ST2008
OK, I pretty sure my topic has been discussed billions of times but I'm still learning things about oil and I didn't find anything conclusive to answer my question.
Thx.

There is a conclusive answer reached a billion times is it doesn't matter much ANYMORE regardless of PU or Mobil or Shell.

Total package more important than one aspect.

I understand the OP wants to know diff between group 3 and group 4.

Anyway lets hear what the jury has to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back