License Plate Lights Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
On my 2000 Camry, the license plate lights quit working. Today the yellow light came on the dash indicating a bulb was out. I checked everything (daytime) and all seemed fine, the light went out on the dash at some point today and I decided to check the license plate lights tonight. Neither one works, I bought new bulbs and they still don't work. The tail lights in the trunk lid work fine.

Checked the fuses, all is good. Wiring seems fine too from what's easy to see.

Anybody know? Thanks.

The bulbs could perhaps be installed the wrong way. Just a thought. If they're wedge style, take them out and flip them around and see. Just a thought for something that's easy/quick to check even though they're probably not directional.

Incandecents will light either way.
Have a Voltmeter? Turn on the lights and check for power on one of the pins going to the bulb. If that is good, then turn off the lights and check for continutity to ground.

If they're on the trunk lid the wiring going there could have metal-fatigued.

Get your voltmeter out, check out one of the many wiring diagrams available online, and start troubleshooting.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Incandecents will light either way.
Have a Voltmeter? Turn on the lights and check for power on one of the pins going to the bulb. If that is good, then turn off the lights and check for continutity to ground.

Certain incandescent sockets are directional, I'm not an idiot. I know a filament bulb isn't polar.

I removed the carpet padding stuff on the backside of he trunk lid, from everything I can see it looks fine. The plastic wiring loom is all taped up and would be a total pain to remove, it's also 110 degrees outside.

Tried bulbs both ways

I used my volt meter and it ranges from 0-3.5V jumping all around.

Put the bulbs in, turn the light switch on then wiggle the wires in the section where they go between the trunk lid and the rest of the car. If the lights go on and off the wires are broken like eljefino suspected. They flex every time the trunk is opened and closed and eventually will suffer metal fatigue. Such wires usually look OK from the outside but the copper inside is broken and you need to splice in new wires. Make the new sections of wire long enough that the splices are in a place that does not move.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Is this the car you were going to replace the alternator on?
Yes, voltages seem fine though so I put it back in.

The wire in the trunk lid probably broke where it flexes. This was the case on my civic reverse lights. You'll have to take the tape off and open the plastic sheath near the hinge. Since both are out, If you see any sort of y split or connection that's probably where it broke.

I had my mechanic buddy fix it, there's a wire loom with 8-10 wires in it. 2 were cut. License plate lights and reverse lights, he said they almost looked like they were cut with wire cutters it was perfect. They were deep in the quarter panel.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back