PSF to ATF (DEX VI?) Late model GM (04 Silv)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have no real problems or complaints about my PS system, it is 12 years old. Makes a little noise, is noise'y(er) than i'd like it to be but other wise works pretty much as expected, also its a little bit more noise-y than it was when i first purchased it in 08 with 70,000 miles on it (now has nearly 160,000)

That said, from time to time when i do remove a pint of PSF and replace it with new and the noise tones down considerably for a few months.

I have been reading about several vehicles using ATF (older toyotas mostly...spec'd to DEX III but now that its gone they're using DEX VI)

It makes me wonder, is this truck 2004 silverado 150,000 a good idea to perhaps drain the power steering fluid out of it and run DEX VI ATF?

The "goal" is a quiet nearly silent, fluid, and smooth PS system that doesnt whine and hum and when i get to lock or near-lock...which is what its doing now.

Last edited:
GM Bulletin #1875699

This covers your truck; prescribed fix was to replace fluid (completely) with Valvoline SynPower power steering fluid. This product has now been replaced with MaxLife power steering fluid.

This is available on the shelf of your local auto parts store (MaxLife PSF, not ATF!). It's what I run in these trucks (including demanding hydro-boost units), and it's what I recommend as well.

I use Mobil multi vehicle synthetic ATF in my truck's PS system and have had no issues. My truck is ten years old and GM does call for using PS fluid in my truck.

Not GM's, but I have used M1 ATF for 25 years or so in Fords, and never had a Pump failure. Also performs very well in cold temps.

When GM came out with DEX6, I recall seeing a TSB saying NOT to use it in power steering systems and transfer cases. It is a thinner viscosity and it would be a gamble to say the least.
I have ran DEX3 in power steering systems with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back